When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fabrication of forged carbon cases - and why the rep manufacturers won't do it

chefcook

We need the different cases to make a case that actually is produceable. A copy of the steel case simply would not work!!!

Another massive drawback is that the crown position would most probably look horrible compared to the steel cases when making a thicker case (crown would optically seem to be up even more than on the steel cases).

At the moment I do not have a solution for this.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stumbled on this...dunno if its any help though, it's the Alinghi case comparo:

compare1.jpg

compare2.jpg

compare3.jpg

compare5.jpg

compare6.jpg

A=Alinghi

T=Themes

Bezel 9:30->3:00

A=44.0mm

T=42.0mm

Thickness

A=14.8mm

T=14.2mm

Bezel Thickness (Not including the Rubber Washer)

A=3.2mm

T=3.6mm

Bezel Thickness (Including the Rubber Washer)

A=5.2mm

T=5.8mm

Case Thickness

A=7.4mm

T=6.2mm

Caseback Thickness

A=2.2mm (has more of a tapered side than Themes)

T=2.2mm (has more of a flat side than Alinghi)

Crown Thickness

A=8.5mm

T=6.0mm

8:00-> 2:00

A=45.5mm

T=43.5mm

Distance Between Plot Slots

A=10.0mm

T=9.2mm

Distance Outside Plot Slots

A=19.0mm

T=17.8mm

Strap Width @ Case

A=29.0mm

T=27.8mm

Strap Width @ Clasp

A=23.6mm

T=17.0mm

Distance Between Screws on Bezel (directly across from eachother measurement)

A=39.2mm

T=37.4mm

Overall Width

A=51.4mm

T=47.2mm

Clasp Width

A=28.2mm

T=20.8mm

Actual Dial Width (not including rehaut)

A=32.0mm

T=27.0mm

Actual Dial Width (including rehaut)

A=32.0mm

T=30.8mm

I think that is pretty much every measurement that could be made with use of a caliper, please not all measurements are +/- 0.2mm because of caliper possible error.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok a couple things;

- forged carbon fiber wont have the "hairs" that stick out and hurt you

- this is a good read (my link was removed as i odnt have enough posts) look up "forged composite" on wiki pedia)

- knife makers have been using this material with good results

- another good read states that "it cannot be tapped jsut drilled this make sense due to the structure (my link was removed as i dont have enough posts) look up "forged composite" on car and driver)

ill ask around another forum im on to see if there is a knife maker who can do it, those guys are pretty sick with cnc

• 1 year later...
What about a solid blocks of this RTM material, then machining the watch case from it? The part that is shown in the images still needs some finishing, I assume. What about a solid rectangular piece, then you machine the case in a 5-axis CNC. That would be far more doable. The only question is durability during construction, metals are predictable under Tungsten Carbide tools, not sure if this CF/epoxy mix is too brittle to be machined...

Other than that, this project is crazy, you're all nuts!

P.S. I's DEFINITELY be up for one, pending surface quality ohmy.gif)

I am in the same boat...if the surface finish works and it has some durability, I am in.  This is my favorite AP and have been so frustrated that there are no good reps.  

Edited by bbwslims

To make things easy I would just do a simple replacement for the SS case... 99% of people will never even notice the difference and plus it would be easier just to do a direct case replacement rather than trying to mod everything to make it work.

I may be wrong, but they may have moved the pushers lower on the case to increase durability around the pushers.  Note that on the SS case, the material is quite thin.  I would imagine it will be prone to damage if the SS case is replicated.  

EDIT:  just saw that this was resolved on an earlier post.  It sounds like it won't work.  

If someone was to get the gen, would it make this project easier, or would it still be challenging with existing movements without serious modification?

Edited by bbwslims

Hi,

Late to the party here, but as a watch maker (to remain anonymous), I have been exploring forged carbon fiber for one of our new models. Just as a ball park, here are some of the numbers: The mold will be approx USD9000. The case itself will work out to around USD80/pc. This assumes the use of a SS bezel though. The minimum thickness needs to be 1mm. Anything less and it gets brittle real fast. You can't tap threads, so you will need to figure out how to attach some parts to it. I would recommend a separate SS part bonded to the carbon. In order to make this project a reality, the watch will need to be built from the ground up unfortunately. Otherwise things get real complicated real fast.

• 2 years later...

So i am new to this thread but am also on a mission to rep FC cases mainly new GP and i cam across this video and then this thread and thought maybe some one could elaborate on the possibility of doing it this way. My father works in a aviation composite and sheet metal company and i am going theor bye the end of week to discuss possibilities so i will let you guys know if enything comes from it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about that i kinda got ahead of myself and was reading every one was complainig about the glossy finish so wanted to try so perfect but i have figured a way to mod j12 case and am in process of doing dial and tacky as well and also have a setup to do case thining for lwo frankin ap i have just finished the back plate should have case thinned and new crown positin bye end of this week