When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oiling Bracelet

mwa

Guys,

I've seen how many oil their bracelets. I gather to improve overall flexibility. I have a nice GMT II from Perfect Clones but don't notice a lot of "stickiness" in the bracelet. Do you think there's still material improvement to be had by oiling? And if you guys could share the process of oiling.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the high marks guys. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Food grade mineral oil.. This is something you will find in a super market, pharmacy, etc. It's mineral oil, not much else to it. It is non-toxic, and semi viscous. I (and many others) will use it to oil pocket knives & chef knives for example, so they can use them on food if the situation were to arise. It's basically like "organic oil" so it is fitting to use on something you will wear on your wrist. A tablespoon if it was also used as an old school laxitive! So you should look for it over by the ex-lax (seriously!) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I found that adding just a drop or two to the bracelet process has yielded good results. Too much will defeat the purpose and you will be back to an oily mess and mine as well have sprayed WD40 on your bracelet, so keep the mineral oil to a drop or two. Mix it all together (dry lube, mineral oil, bracelet) in a ziplock and mix it around, rub it into the links, bathe that thing!

How about using WD40? is it a bad idea?

I use WD40 and never had a problem. The best way to clean the bracelet before applying any lube is with an ultrasonic jeweler's bath. Most jeweler's have one and can clean the bracelet for you for a low price. It will get every piece of dirt and grime out of the bracelet, then you can concentrate on getting it buttery smooth.

Once my bracelet is clean I apply a generous amount of WD40 and work the bracelet for about 2 or 3 minutes in my hands to get the oil well penetrated. Once it's been coated nicely and you're sure the oil has reached all crevices, i use normal dish soap and apply it to the surface of the bracelet using my hand. I then hand wash it under the sink being careful not to turn the water pressure to high. The piont is to get the surface of the bracelet clean while maintaining most of the oil inside the joints. I pat the bracelet dry and use compressed air to further dry.

Once this is done I go over the bracelet with a microfiber cloth and get any remaining smudges out. Then my bracelet is silky smooth for months to come :)

I pretty much do this after every refinishing and polishing that i perform. Not sure why some may think wd40 is bad, but it works great for me and doesn't seem to do any harm to my watches.. Been using it for over 3 years :)

I use WD40 and never had a problem. The best way to clean the bracelet before applying any lube is with an ultrasonic jeweler's bath. Most jeweler's have one and can clean the bracelet for you for a low price. It will get every piece of dirt and grime out of the bracelet, then you can concentrate on getting it buttery smooth.

Once my bracelet is clean I apply a generous amount of WD40 and work the bracelet for about 2 or 3 minutes in my hands to get the oil well penetrated. Once it's been coated nicely and you're sure the oil has reached all crevices, i use normal dish soap and apply it to the surface of the bracelet using my hand. I then hand wash it under the sink being careful not to turn the water pressure to high. The piont is to get the surface of the bracelet clean while maintaining most of the oil inside the joints. I pat the bracelet dry and use compressed air to further dry.

Once this is done I go over the bracelet with a microfiber cloth and get any remaining smudges out. Then my bracelet is silky smooth for months to come :)

I pretty much do this after every refinishing and polishing that i perform. Not sure why some may think wd40 is bad, but it works great for me and doesn't seem to do any harm to my watches.. Been using it for over 3 years :)

:rolleyes: It's not going to harm anything, its just the wrong tool for the job man. Thanks for never returning my PM, btw. :black_eye:

Thanks, i have a small can here, i'll have a try :)

:doh:

Sometimes spring bar tools don't fit the holes. Honestly, I happen to favor a simple push pin. push_pin2.jpg

I would purchase the complete Watch Bitz tool kit for around 70 USD instead of spending 30 USD on one springbar tool from a price raper like Otto Frei.

It's a good thing.

They are currently updating the whole Store and its down, but here's the URL

They give a hefty discount to RWG members so be certain to identify yourself when you sign up.

They people for all the advice! i checked out the website, its like a 100 bucks without shipping! And erm can i use just any Dry lube? i went to a sport shop this afternoon and found a dry lube for chains but it isn't Rock and Roll tho.

Oh guys do anyone here happen to know where i can find a nice watch box? hold say around 10-12 watches? wooden if possible!

Edited by mwa

They people for all the advice! i checked out the website, its like a 100 bucks without shipping! And erm can i use just any Dry lube? i went to a sport shop this afternoon and found a dry lube for chains but it isn't Rock and Roll tho.

Oh guys do anyone here happen to know where i can find a nice watch box? hold say around 10-12 watches? wooden if possible!

Experimentation is part of the hobby. ;) Try something new, you want a dry lube that cleans and protects chains. The WL & RR lubes are expensive but they're the best at what they do. Let us know if you find something good!

Theres some decent watchboxes on ebay moderately priced. check out this guys store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Turtles-watch-and-jewelry-cases

They people for all the advice! i checked out the website, its like a 100 bucks without shipping

Their web site is being re-designed right now and the discount for RWG members probably isn't working properly. I checked my own order from several months ago, and the tool kit was $77.50 USD after the discount.

:rolleyes: It's not going to harm anything, its just the wrong tool for the job man. Thanks for never returning my PM, btw. :black_eye:

Sometimes spring bar tools don't fit the holes. Honestly, I happen to favor a simple push pin.

You obviosly don't have the watchbitz toolkit.. Never had a problem with any of my watches and the springbar tool not fitting.. A push pin would be great if you could get some freakin leverage with it. I used to use pins and take about 15 minutes to get a springbar off. With my springbar tool it takes me less than a minute :)

Their web site is being re-designed right now and the discount for RWG members probably isn't working properly. I checked my own order from several months ago, and the tool kit was $77.50 USD after the discount.

That's correct. Contact offshore before you order and he'll set up your checkout process for you so that you get the discount :)