When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to attach the crystal on a submariner

klocklind1

I know theres quite a few bezel swap tutorials here. Search for how to change bezel insert on 16610 and maybe that will result in something. After you get the insert out, then you pop out the crystal. You might have to remove the movement and pop it out from the inside with your thumbs. Are you swapping out the crystal on your WM9??

dizz

you find everything in my old Euromariner post : *click*

or here is the short version ;) :

r20_007.jpg

cheers,

Frank

Thanks a lot for that Frank! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It is a VM9 v1,5 from Precious time I am working with!

I have taken away the retaining ring and the crystal is still in the retaining ring ?? Is that the usual case ?

How do I remove the crystal from the retaining ring ?

Do I have to use the press or can I press it out with my fingers?

I am going to fit a clarks 295 C2 on this case (VM9 V1,5) and this should fit without any modding or ?

im working on the same watch right now -

i used the crystal from cousins uk -

IMG_5846.jpg

and yes - you can press it out with your fingers - but to assemble the watch again

you will need an crystal press.

cheers,

Frank

im working on the same watch right now -

i used the crystal from cousins uk -

IMG_5846.jpg

and yes - you can press it out with your fingers - but to assemble the watch again

you will need an crystal press.

cheers,

Frank

Thanks again Frank :thumbsupsmileyanim:

VERY intresting thread You had there :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I will try change the crystal in the weekend :whistling:

BTW do the genuine crown fit on the repica tube on the VM9 v1,5 ? or do I have to change the tube to an anther one?

the hardest part of the process is ensuring the crystal is 100% clean and spotless, dust is the bane of my existence. next would be pressing the retaining ring correctly, straight and with enough pressure. you can seriously warp it if youre not careful. if pushed too flat you will also stiffen up the bezel ring from turning properly, but too little press and water may seep in.

• 4 years later...

im working on the same watch right now -i used the crystal from cousins uk -IMG_5846.jpgand yes - you can press it out with your fingers - but to assemble the watch againyou will need an crystal press.cheers,Frank

im working on the same watch right now -i used the crystal from cousins uk -IMG_5846.jpgand yes - you can press it out with your fingers - but to assemble the watch againyou will need an crystal press.cheers,Frank

Hi just saw this thread. How did you remove the crystal?

^^^ :lol:

seems like some people need it fully laid out.

Step 1. Remove bezel.

Step 2. CAREFULLY remove the click spring and take off the tension washer.

Step 3. Remove retaining ring around crystal. if you dont have the proper tools, this can be done very carefully with a Xacto knife and a thin screwdriver. just be sure to tape up the case so it doesnt scratch.

Step 4. Remove crystal + Gasket from either the case or the retaining ring.

Step 5. Clean the hell out of new crystal with something that produces as little lint as possible. i find the little cloths for your eye glasses works best.

Step 6. With a blower or keyboard duster, get all the dirt and lint off the underside of the crystal. (This sounds easy but itll).

- Check under a bright light to be sure its crystal clear. wearing gloves helps this process move a little faster.

Step 7. Attach new crystal to new gasket and align it on the case.

Step 8. Attach retaining ring to the top of the crystal and push down as far as you can with your hands.

Step 9. Tighten (if you can push the retaining ring all the way down with your hands, you probably need a new gasket.

- A Crystal press works best but if you dont have one, you can DIY one for fairly cheap.

- DIY Crystal press (pretty ghetto but it works) : just go to your local hardware store and pick up a PVC pipe that fits perfectly over the retaining ring and a C-Clamp. 

Cut the pipe to about a inch tall.

Cover the edge with masking tape or something that wont scratch the retaining ring.

Put the piece of pipe over the retaining ring and lay a block of wood (anything flat and hard) over the pipe and cloth on the bottom of case.

Get a C- Clamp and put it over the block of wood and the bottom of the watch case so nothing gets scratched.

tighten.

Step 10. realize you missed some dust and finger print on the under side and start over. this may happen a few times if its your first time.

Step 11. Attach tension washer, click spring and bezel.

Step 12. Admire your new crystal from every angle and second guess it being straight over the date window.

• Like 1