When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just threw down for a PT Great White 1665. Now the dreaded wait begins

Prsist

I havent bought a rep in a while (been buying gens). I did the research and finally pulled the trigger. This is only the second rep purchased from a "large" dealer, most of my reps have been sourced and a couple bought from fellow members. I all my research I have picked it apart and looked into modding and hope I havent set my hopes up to high. I'm pretty easy to satisfy but when you discuss over and over the details of a watch, well you know. Mat the slow boat from China sprout wings and a twin turbocharger!

Great value watch. Only needs a bit of work on the inner CG's to look pretty good.

Second that, I've got a PT DRSD 1665 and my friend just bought one.

Great service form Angus to the UK, a really nice example and around a week to arrive.

Shave those inner CG's, fit a gen 703 crown or 702 if your wealthy!), age it to death (well to the look youdesire) and that is a great and simple start - but of course you can go as far as you wish with the modding.

Great depth of research by the way - enjoyed all of the threads you started!

Enjoy..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edit - This has reminded me that I must update my avatar as the watch has moved on a little!

Edited by PMMUTD68

Second that, I've got a PT DRSD 1665 and my friend just bought one.

Great service form Angus to the UK, a really nice example and around a week to arrive.

Shave those inner CG's, fit a gen 703 crown or 702 if your wealthy!), age it to death (well to the look youdesire) and that is a great and simple start - but of course you can go as far as you wish with the modding.

Great depth of research by the way - enjoyed all of the threads you started!

Enjoy..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edit - This has reminded me that I must update my avatar as the watch has moved on a little!

Now when the watch arrives I'll have to find and organize all my threads!

What will adding a gen tube and crown do for the function of the watch? Or is it cosmetic?

Can someone point me to a how to for CG shaving? Especially what is involved (removal of movt, etc...)

I think a new Crystal (I wrote down somewhere the kind to get-Seen a gen for under $100 and generic for under $40, spring bars (I guess you have to buy the seller and hope he is honest about them), where beside flea bay is a good place to buy spring bars? I'll look into drilling the lug holes (why would I want to do this again? Thanks for the great advice and direction everyone.

Now when the watch arrives I'll have to find and organize all my threads!

What will adding a gen tube and crown do for the function of the watch? Or is it cosmetic?

If you ever have a gen crown/tube installed, you will ALWAYS have them installed in any watch you are serious about.

I promise you that you could put ten reps in front of you, five with gen and five stock and you would identify the gen tube/crown watches blindfolded 100% of the time.

Bill

If you ever have a gen crown/tube installed, you will ALWAYS have them installed in any watch you are serious about.

I promise you that you could put ten reps in front of you, five with gen and five stock and you would identify the gen tube/crown watches blindfolded 100% of the time.

Bill

Is the stem included with the crown?

Are a gen crown and tube more durable? I can then assume adjusting the time day in day out the gen tube and crown will provide more durability?

Is the stem included with the crown?

Are a gen crown and tube more durable? I can then assume adjusting the time day in day out the gen tube and crown will provide more durability?

No, the stem is not included. They reuse the old stem.

As for the difference, you're talking the difference between a Yugo and a Porsche.

Bill

How could you get more descriptive than describing the difference between a Yugo and Porsche? :D

The precision in the machinery is un-matched currently by today's rep standards. There is a crispness to the feel of the edges of the gen crown. When threading it down onto the tube, it inspires so much more confidence that you are not worried about possibly striping the threads on the tube or in the crown. It's not so much a look thing, as it is a feel. Up close, you can usually tell the differences in the rep or the gen, but from a distance, does it really matter? Probably not. However, when you go to unscrew that crown to set the date or time, that's when you will notice the difference.

Try it out. When you get your watch, live with it for a while. Research the optional mods you can do to it. When you decide to upgrade the tube and crown (which you will eventually do), take special notice the first time you unscrew the crown.

How could you get more descriptive than describing the difference between a Yugo and Porsche? :D

The precision in the machinery is un-matched currently by today's rep standards. There is a crispness to the feel of the edges of the gen crown. When threading it down onto the tube, it inspires so much more confidence that you are not worried about possibly striping the threads on the tube or in the crown. It's not so much a look thing, as it is a feel. Up close, you can usually tell the differences in the rep or the gen, but from a distance, does it really matter? Probably not. However, when you go to unscrew that crown to set the date or time, that's when you will notice the difference.

Try it out. When you get your watch, live with it for a while. Research the optional mods you can do to it. When you decide to upgrade the tube and crown (which you will eventually do), take special notice the first time you unscrew the crown.

That's what I was looking for!

So the Gen crown's are narrower?

Is there still a need to shave the CG's with a gen crown?

Does someone make a generic crown that's better than the rep crown? Gen crowns are pricey!

The 1665 takes a 703 and/or 702 crown correct?

7mm crown, yes?