When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just another Monte Carlo

siesta181

This baby has to be one of my most expensive builds. It has the correct 45 min totaliser, gen 24-700 crown,marsupilami tube and a T128. Datewheel is not correct though. It has the roulette black/red numerals. I suppose I can always wear this on even days...lol. Anyone with a spare all black datewheel???

You can still get the movt off the bay but be prepared to pay anything between 400 and 600 USD for the correct 45 min totaliser. The demand for these 7734s shot through the roof when DW released this watch.

Cheers

S181

Jesus Christ, will it ever stop? I seriously should stop coming here. I have 6 watches in the mail and already thinking about this beauty. That can't be normal. :nea:

Couple of questions:

1. does the 45 minute subdial works as a chrono? If so, then I would not need to invest in a movement with this feature (30 vs 45), specially at the price they are going for.

2. what size is this watch?

3. what movie is your avatar from LHOOQ?

Thanks and hopefully I'll join the club soon enough. :group:

1. The 45 minute subdial is a totaliser. The problem exists when you run chrono, the hand might not always incicate the time correctly when 30 min is used. I don't know whether it will reset probably but it should... I think. the 45 min totalisers will not come cheap now but get a cheap 30min and convert. I have one of those as a spare.

2. 40mm

This case-set is built for the 7734 only.

Cheers

S181

I would like to respectfully disagree with siesta181 on the relative costs of 30/45-minute 7734 movements. Over the past year, I have not observed significant differences between the selling price of a 30- and a 45-. Other factors -i.e. condition, watch model- usually play a bigger part in determining the price. It cost me more than $60 for the two necessary parts, and labor may not be cheap, as it involves a tear-down and reassembly of the chronograph components. I believe that $60-100 would be better spent on the correct movement to begin with.

That said, a 30-minute counter will work fine on the Monte Carlo. The only difference is that the counter indicates in increments of 1.5 minutes e.g. {0,1.5,3,...} If a 30-minute movement can be found cheaply enough, and you don't mind the watch looking slightly off on every other minute that the chrono is running, then go for it!

No other movement will fit in this case, unfortunately. It bears repeating that the Poljot 3133 will NOT work, despite appearances.

My avatar is the evil frog archaeologist, Dr. Rene Belloq, arch-nemesis of Indiana Jones. Personally, I think he's just misunderstood...

Yup. Condition and brand plays a more significant role in the price. When I first started hunting for 7734s earlier this year. I was snapping off any 7734 that was below a certain price, not paying attention to the totalisers. I ended up with 03 x 30 min watch and 01 x 45min watch. I didn't notice the difference until about 1 month ago, about 1 or 2 weeks before DW officially released the case sets.

But what I have noticed that since the news of the release, none of the 45 min totalisers went for less than USD250. I doubt that the price will go down any lower than USD300. As with any used watch (esp those from the 70s), it's always good to have a full service upon arrival, bearing in mind that this this will not be a cheap project.The case set itself will cost around USD500.00. The cost of servicing the movt + additional parts will give you peace of mind for the next 2 to 3 years.

I suppose that it all depends on how you approach this build.

congrats siesta and chuan! looks like the Spin factory has been working double overtime to churn these bad boys out.

and i'm glad to see that Spin managed to fit the 24-700 crown with the Mars tube. now i need to go bug Spin and get my 7032 back! lol

maybe we should start a 7032 SG Posse club :whistling: