When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just another Monte Carlo

siesta181

I would like to respectfully disagree with siesta181 on the relative costs of 30/45-minute 7734 movements. Over the past year, I have not observed significant differences between the selling price of a 30- and a 45-. Other factors -i.e. condition, watch model- usually play a bigger part in determining the price. It cost me more than $60 for the two necessary parts, and labor may not be cheap, as it involves a tear-down and reassembly of the chronograph components. I believe that $60-100 would be better spent on the correct movement to begin with.

That said, a 30-minute counter will work fine on the Monte Carlo. The only difference is that the counter indicates in increments of 1.5 minutes e.g. {0,1.5,3,...} If a 30-minute movement can be found cheaply enough, and you don't mind the watch looking slightly off on every other minute that the chrono is running, then go for it!

No other movement will fit in this case, unfortunately. It bears repeating that the Poljot 3133 will NOT work, despite appearances.

My avatar is the evil frog archaeologist, Dr. Rene Belloq, arch-nemesis of Indiana Jones. Personally, I think he's just misunderstood...

At one time not long ago, using the 3133 was possible, see here;

See very clear macro photos of the two watches shown in that post, they are Soviet Poljot 3133s' (see Poljot logo to the left of the balance). Now, the current case being offered by Spin/DW is probably made a little different to only fit a V7734, but someone out there had these available at some point. The main difference between the 3133 and 7734 is the movement's thickness (almost 1mm thicker for the 3133) and that thickness is on the dial side making the stem to case tube not align properly. So, the cases that fit a 3133 would have to be deeper by about 1mm to have the thicker movement fit and work.

I Pm'ed the OP back then to get info on what the source was for these and never got a reply. I doubt that they are a myth since 3133's have been used before in other reps (although not very common) and there may very well be a way to machine an extra 1mm from the inside of the case to have a 3133 fit. Then of course you would have to deal with the crappy looking date wheel of the 3133 or possibly make an overlay for it. Anyway you look at it, its still more cost effective to get a V7734 and use the Spin/DW case as it comes, or for that matter, contact Spin and order one finished direct from him.

Cheers B)

congrats siesta and chuan! looks like the Spin factory has been working double overtime to churn these bad boys out.

and i'm glad to see that Spin managed to fit the 24-700 crown with the Mars tube. now i need to go bug Spin and get my 7032 back! lol

maybe we should start a 7032 SG Posse club :whistling:

yep, seems like the crown and tube fits withe some work. :)

hmm.... a 7032 SG posse club.... why not?

CHuan

At one time not long ago, using the 3133 was possible, see here;

If I recall correctly, there were also Poljot-based Daytona and Autavia reps at one point. Rare as heck, unfortunately, and the quality of the dials and case weren't too hot, either! It would be nice if someone were to offer a case that would fit a 3133, but then again, even these movements may not be cheap enough to make the effort wortwhile.