When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Do You Think Of This Panerai Crown ? - Photos Compared To The Genuine And Rep Crown

V

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't it be great to just don some coveralls with the OP-logo on 'em, the name "Guido" embroided on the chest, stroll into the Panerai factory, all whistling and nodding to your fellow italians..

Walk casually over to the great big box with all the freshly machined, fat, shiny wonderful crowns, and scoop up a whole handful of them, put them in the pocket of your replica coveralls, reach in there again, and fill the other pocket...

Turn around, smiling to the foreman who didn't see what you just did, and walk out of there... Big real smile on your lips..?

I like v's better :) -

Just noticed I spelt Davidsen with an o (Davidson) my apologies! D

Anyway here is a pic of his crowns, similar coarse knurling to V's project. I'm sure one of the fonts of knowledge will be able to tell us how many teeth it has less than the genuine crown.

post-2363-1159377845_thumb.jpg

I just don't see the point of replacing an innacurate part with another innacurate part..!!

Rob

What, better than the Original.....????

Yup - the logic goes like this - there is no such thing as a perfect Rep - having conceded that there will be flaws you must decide what flaws are acceptable to you.

Well - that is of course an inherantly subject decision.

Therefore - the "right" rep for you is the one you enjoy owning, viewing, aquiring, repairing or so on, and so forth.

Ergo - i bought a pam "89" with a blue face when there is no blue face pam 89. The black one was accurate, but i think the silver seconds dial on a black dial looks like dog droppings. So, i chose the "less" accurate rep, cause i enjoy it.

In this instance, i like Thick Crowns - its kind of like rims? :) if i could get a crown with some twirly things on it, i would - ok, maybe i wouldn't. But how bout some switches on that big mamma

ok - back to reality - so, as i was saying - if, i enjoy the thicker crown - accurate or not- it makes for a better rep "for me"

:) hence, my comment. I Like V's better. Ergo hithertoo forth i shall walk upon this land and pay astronomical pricing for a palp crown. Why? well, not sure, but i learned awhile ago that sometmies you have to jump on things around here, they don't last forever.

:)

Wouldn't it be great to just don some coveralls with the OP-logo on 'em, the name "Guido" embroided on the chest, stroll into the Panerai factory, all whistling and nodding to your fellow italians..

And all those swiss guys would say, "which time machine did this guy get out of?" I love the idea, but it's been a long long time since PAMs were made in italy...

So, i chose the "less" accurate rep, cause i enjoy it.

if, i enjoy the thicker crown - accurate or not- it makes for a better rep "for me"

I accept your opinion. but I doubt it's the opinion of the majority, and certainly not mine.

It's not difficult to find post after post, of people complaining about the the 'accuracy' of reps. I agree that it's extremely unlikely the 'perfect' replica will ever be produced, but I think it's a fair assumption that most on this and other 'Replica' forums, whether fans of Panerai Rolex or whatever, would prefer to have a 99.5% accurate instrument on their wrist than a 96% one.

Surely, if you are going to the trouble and expense of having parts made to replace innacurate ones, the point of the exercise is to make them 'more' accurate. and therefore take another step towards that elusive perfection. It really is a pointless exercise if you simply remove a flaw to add another.

I speak from having nearly 30 yrs experience in Design and Manufacturing and have never allowed the word 'cant' to exist in my vocabulary, if it's been done, it can be done again, only better this time.

I assume your penchant for 'odd' bits on your Panaerai's only runs to reps, or would you prefer to see 'Parts Bin Specials' coming from 'the' factory as well..? Oh well, everybody to their own..I suppose.

Rob

Rob- i understand what your saying, usually i'm looking for the more accurate rep. but, with this statement "Surely, if you are going to the trouble and expense of having parts made to replace innacurate ones, the point of the exercise is to make them 'more' accurate. and therefore take another step towards that elusive perfection"

is contrary to my thesis. the purpose of making mods is to make the watch more pleasing to me :) if perfection is more pleasing, then so be it. :) but, why would i spend money to make the watch less pleasing.

anyway - i just like big beefy watches- and i think a nice thick crown compliments a big beefy watch. in fact, i should put some beef on the watch, that would be cool :)

anyway - curious to see what v has going on. And hopefully i get my palp crowns soon. I'm ready to do my upgrades

Quote 'anyway - i just like big beefy watches- and i think a nice thick crown compliments a big beefy watch. in fact, i should put some beef on the watch, that would be cool'

I totally understand where you are coming from, and think I now see where the confusion lies. A similar situation exists in another pastime of mine, the restoration of Classic Motorcycles. Because of the desirability of certain Classic Bikes and their obvious scarcity, Many people strive to create 'Replicas' (from the EnglishDictionary 'Exact Copy of...' or duplicate') of their favourite motorcycle. ie: a machine which is idistinguishable from the genuine article.

And contrary to your previous statement 'there is no such thing as a perfect rep' This can be and is achieved. Case in point, my own BSA Rocket Goldstar, which is an 'Exact' Copy or 'Replica' (photos on request) And there is no reason why somewhere down the line a 99.9% 'Replica Panerai cannot become a reality.

The similarity to this case is that some restorers, like you prefer to do their 'own thing' and create a machine which is pleasing to themselves. It can never be called a 'Replica' because it departs from the specification of the original. These are called 'Specials'

If it's an honest attempt to recreate the original as closely as you can, then I think you can call it a 'replica'

If however you prefer to change the original spec, to suit your preferences it's no longer a 'replica' it's a 'parts bin special' or a 'Phoband Special' or a 'Bitsa'. or whatever.

Getting back to my point, If someone goes to the trouble of having Replacement parts made, to make any commercial sense, presumably they would be trying for a 'perfect' or close as possible copy. which would then appeal to the majority and make the project worthwhile, and not something which simply looks 'cool' and only appeals to the minority of 'modders'.

By the way, I to am awaiting a palp crown, which appears to be the most accurate one available for the forseeable future.

Happy modding

Rob

IMO, a 2.1mm crown may be more pleasing to the eye than the existing rep 1.7mm crowns, but it is exactly equally innacurate. I'm all in favor of everyone doing what makes them happy, but since what makes me happy is accuracy, I'm only in on 1.9mm crowns. V's may need a good polish, but looks about dead on to me, thickness-wise.