When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long have you had your UPO?

naeems

The UPO is a very, very well built watch.

If you service the movement every 5 years it could potentially outlast you, no doubt about that.

I've only had mine for about 3 months and i promise you I will never sell it!

The UPO is a very, very well built watch.

If you service the movement every 5 years it could potentially outlast you, no doubt about that.

I've only had mine for about 3 months and i promise you I will never sell it!

How good is the water resistence? Have you really tested it?

I disassembled mine, lubed all the rubber gaskets and so on. I have not tested it but now it's waterproof enough for my daily life. Nothing for scuba diving i guess.

Somewhere theres a guide for more extreme waterproofing, you could for example seal the helium escape valve with epoxy.

/Furu

I've had mine for just over 2 years now, and it's still going strong. I rotate between the rubber strap and steel bracelet to give it a completely different look every now and then. I would recommend one if you don't own one already, it's a very nice watch for the price.

If the movement inside dies, I could simply replace it? NOthing else could go wrong with the watch?

the tube is what the crown screws down on. I think that's one of the major faults with the upo's. Many people replace the tube with a gen tube. cost is over $100.

Yes, quality wise the tube is inferior to the gen. Aesthetically, the new dials have a few blemishes and the pearl on the bezel insert isn't too beautiful. But everything else is just a unimaginably good replication for the money!

Gen crown + tube at ofrei is aprox 45$. Don't know if you included some labor in those over 100$. Could be a nice evenings work to install it yourself, or a nightmare.

after replacing the tube/crown..

and assuming the movement (swiss clone) doesnt die..

Is there anything else that could go wrong with the watch over say 5-10 years?

I'm just trying to work out whether its worthwhile investing in gen parts if so many things

go wrong..

after replacing the tube/crown..

and assuming the movement (swiss clone) doesnt die..

Is there anything else that could go wrong with the watch over say 5-10 years?

I'm just trying to work out whether its worthwhile investing in gen parts if so many things

go wrong..

Sorry, so many things go wrong? No, the tube is not up to par with the gen. But there is not so much more that can go wrong, except the movement, but that is the same thing with all automatics, rep, gen, asian or swiss - they are delicate. With the quality of the case, bracelet and bezel, our UPOs will be the last man made things left on earth. :D

...and there's always a chance you might chip your crystal, but that can happen to all sapphire crystals, and the bezel insert will get scratched as would a gen insert. I think you get the picture. It's very solid. And since the price is so low, would it be a disaster if it did die?

And to your last statement I'd like to reply that all the gen parts you see in frankens are purely for the looks, except for the above mentioned crown & tube.

/Furu

After you gather and install gen parts, will it still be a favorite 2 years down the road?

It is a phenomenal classic watch. Thats the key I think, chose something that's ''future proof''

I heard all the gen parts I'll need will cost $350. (Bezel, Dial, Hands, Tube and crown, and crystal)

I guess I'll first wait to see how I like the UPO in its original form, and judge from there if its worth

the upgrade..

:)

OH and how good is the standard waterproofing that comes with a UPO?

Had mine for almost two years. Runs great, smooth sweep, one of the smoothest sweeps of any rep I own, and great AR, The dial disappears but the god damned crooked dial still [censored] pisses me off and keeps me from wearing this great watch every day.

If you like it so much, why not have Vaccum or Zig or The Katt adjust the dial to make it straight .... sounds like the least expensive fix ever.

I have 4 UPO's and a gen 45.5. All the reps are amazingly well made, as mentioned, the only real problem is the crown and tube, they are hopeless, if you're buying one budget for a gen set.

Or you can watch the for sale forums, they come up quite often, there have been quite a few nicely modded ones came up lately, gen dials and hands. Gen bezel insert is another good part to find, the inserts aren't the greatest by any means, I was lucky with a couple of mine, and they are very close to gen, but they just can't seem to get the pearl right at all!

As for the crystal, just get after market AR on it by Chief, or FineDD. Makes a world of difference to the watch! 2 of mine have AR, one from Chief which is excellent I'm told and one from a guy who used to do AR before he done off with a lot of money and watches! This also is very good I'm told! The Lume on mine are pretty good, one way more so than the others, think I was just lucky on it, I got someone to check them out for me and it stood out way more than the other 3, almost as good as the gen. As for the dial, you can just get an Omega symbol on it's own and ask a modder to swap it out for the rep one, the dial is 50% better already!

Do some searches through the site using the search box, you will find lots of how to's and people showing how they have done their mods and which ones are the best! Search button is your best friend!!

Sixx :bones:

Had mine for almost two years. Runs great, smooth sweep, one of the smoothest sweeps of any rep I own, and great AR, The dial disappears but the god damned crooked dial still [censored] pisses me off and keeps me from wearing this great watch every day.

IMG_3400.jpg

One question,If your dial desappears how do you tell the time? Thank goodness only the crystal disappears on mine :D Nice SMPO :good:

• 2 weeks later...