When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1950 composite case + brown sandwich dial = PAM386

burnz

That's sweet... does composite mean ceramic, or some carbon type material?

I love the brown color of the case!!!

"The material used for the case is truly innovative in the field of fine watch-making: the Panerai composite is a material whose features and performance are exceptional, being practically immutable over time. The result of an electrochemical process of ceramization of the aluminium, this material is harder than the ceramics normally used for cases in watch-making (zirconia), and also harder than metals like steel and titanium, as well as being lighter. Thanks to its qualities of ductility and reliability, the Panerai composite allows for complex and extremely precise workings and is the result of processes that, up to now, were employed in the creation of components for the aeronautic industry and for car and motorcycle races requiring the highest levels of performance."

no.......

requirement for a composite process is the case must be produced in aluminium alloy ( ALMGSI1 )

the anodise process in a bath with anode and cathode, but reversed, the alu case gets on top of the surface the aluminium oxyde.

this material named chemical ceramic oxyde material.

this method called composite procedure or ceramization process too.

same procedure with the pam 339.

rolli

Is that the same 'innovative' material used in the watch that this poor guy's PAM was made of? :black_eye:

no.......

requirement for a composite process is the case must be produced in aluminium alloy ( ALMGSI1 )

the anodise process in a bath with anode and cathode, but reversed, the alu case gets on top of the surface the aluminium oxyde.

this material named chemical ceramic oxyde material.

this method called composite procedure or ceramization process too.

same procedure with the pam 339.

rolli

Rolli, I trust you like a dog and you know it.

Still I hope it might be possible to rep this by using a titanium case and applying a particular PVD process based on SLOB learning?

I guess no since you say it's impossible but am still keen on your answer :-)

mg

now i have the company which can make the composite process with watch parts.

currently i'm in the first test phase for the 339 composite.

i have different aluminium alloy plates ( 50 x 50mm ) for the anodize process to see the different

color results, which gives the darkest aluminium oxyd and which is the best to

colorize in deep dark brown ( black-brown ) with the second principle of anodize process.

the aluminium oxyde are mostly dark grey or light grey. so after it must be colorize.

so..this is the first serie of tests.

to make a deep dark brown result with a titanium case and pvd coating is not possible,

because it has been shown that the brown pvd is only possible with a perfect result,

when only one case is in the pvd chamber, but this too expensive.

when there are more cases in the pvd chamber for the brown color, then only the cases in the

center of the chamber get the perfect coating result, the other will be spotted on the surface.

this is a physical problem and no solution for this.

that's why the companies have this dark brown pvd color not anymore.

rolli

Rolli, I trust you like a dog and you know it.

Still I hope it might be possible to rep this by using a titanium case and applying a particular PVD process based on SLOB learning?

I guess no since you say it's impossible but am still keen on your answer :-)

mg

Looking forward to seeing Rolli's work :)

BTW PAM386 case (aluminum composite) is different than the PAM317 (pure ceramic). Aluminum falling on a tile from a meter high would not crack, but it would dent.. I wouldn't be very comfortable wearing a 30k watch that would shatter in the same way on a unfortunate bump on a door edge. As much as I love the 317, there is nothing in it from the diver's tool watch DNA...