When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Titanium or Aluminum?

wombat247

For you who know me, you know I have more than one watch. Also, I have more than one Panerai. Furthermore, I have more than one Ti Panerai. I recently bought a DSN Ti PAM from a friend and when I commented that it was heavier than my other Ti PAM's he suggested that they're probably Aluminum and not Ti. Well, I really bought the DSN PAM for the strap but recently started wearing the watch and sure enough, the metal feels very different than the other Ti PAM's I own. I own a few Ti gens and what I really love about the metal is that it feels rough and dry (if that makes any sense). I also have a rep Breitling that feels like Ti. Anyway, long story short, has anyone else thought about this? What are your experiences? Is there any kind of definitive test to know if it's actually Ti or actually Al?

They're Titanium, just different grades and/or thicknesses. Also, you have to take into consideration the case back. Obviously solid case backs will be heavier than display ones, but DSN also uses very thin case backs, while older rep case backs are much thicker so heavier.