When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken midsized

blue02ws6

I found a gen midsize case 68273 for a good price, what movement can go into these and what would I need to build a good watch from it? Real or eta face, which hands, where can I get the movement holder/adapter for a gen case? How hard of a build would this be? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

I have not built up a mid-size Rollie from a gen case but have built a Tudor with a rep 31mm case. The cases I have are for a 2836 and no spacer is required as the movement completely fills the case. I would suspect the same would hold true for a gen case. You just need to get the right stem location to line up with the case tube. I look forward to your finished product!

Here's my Tudor:

31.5POD 1.JPG

Justin,

This is the same case that I have been communicating to you about. I got my eye on it for awhile but contemplating on the fitment of the movement and as well as the date wheel.

blue02ws6,

If you pull the trigger on the case let s know what you come up with as I would love to build a franken for my wife.

Sly

I have not built up a mid-size Rollie from a gen case but have built a Tudor with a rep 31mm case. The cases I have are for a 2836 and no spacer is required as the movement completely fills the case. I would suspect the same would hold true for a gen case. You just need to get the right stem location to line up with the case tube. I look forward to your finished product!

Nice Tudor, My entire goal is to get a genuine diamond bezel on a midsize watch. I have asked josh and a couple other dealers if a gen bezel would go on the reps they sell but none can confirm it they do or not. I wonder if the "guts" of a rep would fit in a gen case? Looks like the only way I can go about finding out for sure is to just buy the gen case and a rep with the 2836-2 and see for myself, if not then I will have a journey on my hands to find something that will fit in the gen case so I can use a gen bezel on it. I just wish my fiancée didn't want a diamond bezel watch or it would be easy....lol I've just read that the rep diamonds look horrible on the bezels but not terrible on the dial.

I don't much care for diamonds an anything watch related! They only belong on fingers or ear-lobes... :whistling:

Sly, if you can find a suitable dial I've probably got the rest of it covered...

I don't much care for diamonds an anything watch related! They only belong on fingers or ear-lobes... :whistling:

Sly, if you can find a suitable dial I've probably got the rest of it covered...

Yeah, I don't care for diamonds on watches, but this ones not for me, which kinda sucks because I got on these forums to find MYSELF a good watch or two and have ended up spending most of my time trying to figure out how to make something nice for her.... The case I found is $130 shipped so it isn't a huge expense to try the eta in it but I was really hoping someone on one of these forums had an idea what would work and get me to the end product without me doing all the trial and error. lol

For 68273/4 cases, an ETA 2671 will work perfect with an adapter ring goes around it, it serves as the date wheel table as well where the DW sits on.

Go on the Bay and find Universo hands that made for 2671 for midsized Rollie, they come in silver or gold, both solid or lumed.

Gen 68000 series dials don't have dial feet, just snap in place as long as you line up date window. Can be reused for gen 2135 when your ready.

For 68273/4 cases, an ETA 2671 will work perfect with an adapter ring goes around it, it serves as the date wheel table as well where the DW sits on.

Go on the Bay and find Universo hands that made for 2671 for midsized Rollie, they come in silver or gold, both solid or lumed.

Gen 68000 series dials don't have dial feet, just snap in place as long as you line up date window. Can be reused for gen 2135 when your ready.

Where can I get the adapter ring, and is there any certain type of ring I need? Do I need the gen 2135 movement adapter ring? I read in another thread that that piece is a [censored] to find though.

Also, if anyone knows the dang name of that ring/holder for the movement that would be AWESOME, I can't see to find a part number or even actual name for that thing.

Edited by blue02ws6

Yes it's a special machined brass ring 3-4 time thicker than the 2135 one. I may be able to source one and let you know.

One can be machined to fit once movement is decided on.

That is the only thing I'm trying to find, I haven't ordered everything yet, since I was waiting to know if I could get everything, but I think I will go ahead and get the case, 2671 movement, 5.3mm crown, sapphire, dial and bezel. Will I have to get a gen datewheel to go on top of the 2671 datewheel for it to line up correctly with the gen dial? The dang case is coming from china but they guarantee it's genuine and everything look right to me, here is one of the pics. It will take a while to get it.

4320656898_dd08d61def.jpg

ETA DW will not line up cos movt is much smaller than the midsize case.

2671 + aftermarket date wheel overlay is good enough to do the job. But those DWs I have seen are of old school styled font with open 6 & 9. (depends on what serial case your getting then it may come out correct) You can of course replace it with a gen 2135 DW by removing the center jewel (on the DW) which is a waste to me.

ETA DW will not line up cos movt is much smaller than the midsize case.

2671 + aftermarket date wheel overlay is good enough to do the job. But those DWs I have seen are of old school styled font with open 6 & 9. (depends on what serial case your getting then it may come out correct) You can of course replace it with a gen 2135 DW by removing the center jewel (on the DW) which is a waste to me.

I wonder if it would be worth it to try and use a 2836-2 movement in a rep mid size, I'm sure I might could get an entire movement assembly from one of the vendors with DW for a midsize already on it, and they have the new font style with the closed 6 and 9 and then just try and machine an adapter to fit it in the gen case. I've read that you really need to change out a wheel on the 2671 also for the min hand to clear higher font dials so the 2836 might be perfect sense that's what the rep guys use in the midsize now. Will the movement adapter set the correct winding stick height as well as secure the movement in the case?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it greatly!

• 5 years later...

I wonder if it would be worth it to try and use a 2836-2 movement in a rep mid size, I'm sure I might could get an entire movement assembly from one of the vendors with DW for a midsize already on it, and they have the new font style with the closed 6 and 9 and then just try and machine an adapter to fit it in the gen case. I've read that you really need to change out a wheel on the 2671 also for the min hand to clear higher font dials so the 2836 might be perfect sense that's what the rep guys use in the midsize now. Will the movement adapter set the correct winding stick height as well as secure the movement in the case?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it greatly!

How Did this turn out? Im in the same process and need some pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How Did this turn out? Im in the same process and need some pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, this is a very old post (2010). I'm not sure the member is active here anymore, as he hasn't posted anything in years. But if he is still around, maybe he will check in and answer your questions.

I have done 2 Rolex no-date mid-size and have sworn never to do another, total PITA.  The Tudor is a straightforward build with no "surprises" unlike the Rollie...