When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Never Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth...

Watchmeister

A number of months ago I received a wonderful gift from long time friend and esteemed member Ubiquitous. Ubi had started to build a 5514 with some parts he had on hand but ultimately went with the motto "go big or go home" picking up a gen dial, custom case, etc and building an outrageous project. But when he finished his revised project he decided that all that work done on his earlier version should not go to waste. (read as I am one lucky SOB!) :thumbsupsmileyanim: Fast forward to today and I was wearing it on my wrist staring at it lovingly (as we all do) and it occurred to me that I had no idea what the components of the watch were. So I called Ubi and got the details - and I was blown away. The time and effort he put into what was his JV project when he decided to send it to me has provided me with a varsity one. So here are the details.

This baby started life as an MBW. Ubi himself did a phenomenal job on the basic case work. The pointed crown guards are stunning. The edges have that touch of softening purposely choosing to make it look like that 30 year old Rolex that had visited the RSC and been polished a few times over thirty years.

DSCN1532.jpg

DSCN1527.jpg

Ubi then sent the custom dial he had spec'ed for this project to Ziggy for the treatment. IMHO, the dial is truly phenomenal with proper layout, good coronet and Rolex font and even proper layout of "t-swiss..." between the 28th and 32nd hashmarks:

DSCN2610.jpg

Now add a proper gen vintage insert with matching tritium pearl:

DSCN2608.jpg

And of course a proper functioning He valve installed by Ziggy:

DSCN2605.jpg

And here we have a wonderful watch and an even more wonderful gift. Great projects, great watches and most importantly great friendships are what makes RWG the place it is. I hope folks enjoyed this little story.

I couldn't be happier. When Ubi sent this one I did see it was beautiful but didn't give it much thought as to how it was built. The more I looked at it the more I was realizing he had gone to great lengths. So I finally called him and then found out what lengths he had gone to. And I know intuitively that Ubi is the kind of person who will spend more time on a project when he knows it is going to someone else. Kind of says it all. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

On the insert I believe it is the original pearl.