When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO Tour Auto 2010 Review

MADRED7

Dear All,

As promised, I have done a closer inspection of my newly arrived AP ROO Tour Auto 2010.

First up, some information from the gen……there has been SOME confusion about these watches, this will clear the sky:

The Swiss watch manufacturer is celebrating its status as official timekeeper of the Tour Auto for the fifth consecutive year by launching a new limited series: the Royal Oak Offshore Tour Auto 2010 Chronograph, issued in a limited edition of 60 pieces.

Along with this piece, AP launches a limited edition of 40 pieces for the National Classic Tour 2010….identical to the above except for the engraving on the caseback.

Further more collectors will be offered a new chronograph, “The Drivers Edition”, cosmetically like the above but with orange accents, a double-row stitched strap and the new standard caseback for ROO chronographs.

So for now we all know that there are 3 quite similar pieces for the gen:

Tour Auto 2010, LE of 60 pieces done for France

National Classic Tour 2010, LE of 40 pieces for Belgium

Drivers Edition, unlimited edition, only available in AP Boutiques.

Now to my watch and my observations:

Please forget about the 3 usual flaws we will face with ALL released ROO´s (datewindow/font, caseback-thickness and the sit of crown and pushers).

The case of my watch is wonderfully finished, brushed and polished parts are 100%. Best part of the case with this Tour Auto is the new design for the bezel, it is so different to the standard bezel, it looks the dogs [censored] and the brushed and polished parts of the bezel will be seen as light or dark grey depending on light and angle….wonderfully done.

The machining on the bezel-part was one thing I feared the most when the factory worked on the watch…the sit and positioning of the screws is the VERY BEST I have seen so far with ANY of my ROO´s (and I have a lot of them )….exactly and with no gap!

When I changed the strap I wondered if the factory just made fake-endlinks that will not be removable…haha, no, but they machined them so precise, so exact, that the endlinks popped into place and the screws went in like butter…wow!

Some thoughts on the leather strap as this was the most weak part of any ROO in the past (RB2 was an excaption), the black calf leather is a bit stiff at the moment but it will break-in with time and use….don´t force it, don´t bend it…as this is a racer-style strap with perforated leather, this upper leather is weaker than normal due to the holes….if you bend it too much it will break!!!

Overall they made a very nice strap with the fine red leather details to be seen through the holes, the deeper engraving on the clasp is a good upgrade….the factory only needs to get rid of the 2 holes in the clasp for the push-pins…the gen does not have these holes.

Now to the dial; a wonderful dark-grey, anthracite color-base with silver-red subdials. On the tachy we see the BASE-print in red and white done over the checkered race-flag design for the first 10 seconds (racing fans here you go!). Nice effort on these details as the printing is not that easy….factory did great here! The subdials have silver outlines and the 12-hour subdial shows a recessed inner part, nice!

And you need to look at the detail….my pic won´t show it too good, but there are 2 "SWISS MADE" prints on the watch, one is on the dial and a second one is on the Tachy-ring….and that’s absolutely correct for the gen…well spotted and done!

The lume is quite good, at least better than the lume of any of my other ROO (not modded).

Caseback…..well, it could have been a bit better here and there, the TOUR AUTO-engraving could be a bit bolder….and the factory used the prototype serial number…but who cares.

Hey, they made the correct limitation number of XX/60 and you can get individual limitation numbers (but I am unsure if you can choose one…I think not).

And one more thing I observed with my TA….the crown screws in like soft butter, it feels precise and sturdy…cool.

NOW…I will only show some pics of my watch, I had the chance to strap the real deal on some 2 months ago when I was in Belgium, I was not allowed to take pics but I handled the watch for nearly a ½ hour and I got a very good impression of it.

Further more I have a friend overseas that owns the Drivers Edition and he sent me a bunch of nice close-ups so I can compare (no, I will not post his pics).

CONCLUSION: this ROO is the very best piece I had on my wrist for months now, it is soo damn close to the gen, the bezel makes it a unique ROO, the racing design with its color accents makes it a looker…not for everyone liking…but I love it!

I know that my dealer and the factory had a good consultant in the making of the details with this watch, they had very good and close-up pics and they learned a lot about this piece and what to look at in detail…..the consultant, the dealer and the factory worked very well together…..hope the factory will request the help of the consultant for new ROO´s in the future…better do it right first time

If you are on the fence for this piece……..go for it!

If you want to join the ROO train with this…..jump on it!

If you are looking for a new fancy ROO that is different to your other ROO´s…..this is it!

If you are a racing fan, love nice and fast cars….this is a perfect companion for you!

Hope my review and my pics will help the members here….cheers all.

Theo :victory:

post-334-0-99401800-1290168385.jpg

post-334-0-83754400-1290168396.jpg

post-334-0-40647000-1290168401.jpg

post-334-0-99482700-1290168412.jpg

post-334-0-94678500-1290168416.jpg

post-334-0-26652700-1290168427.jpg

post-334-0-32051700-1290168434.jpg

post-334-0-20824800-1290168449.jpg

Just 2 more pics in comparison, some members of my AP family....one pic is especially for my mate M!

Theo

Thanks a lot for these pics T!

FInally some pics showing Rhone Fusterie! Looks nice with those red accents!

Now I have a real hard time deciding.... RG ROO RC, ROO TA 2010, another T3 or HBBKP Tourbillon.... Suggestions?

I have my TA10 on it's way to Denver, but I can not say enough great things about the RG ROO RC... I have mine on a Horn back and it's an incredible looking watch. I think you need to own both ;)

Now I have a real hard time deciding.... RG ROO RC, ROO TA 2010, another T3 or HBBKP Tourbillon.... Suggestions?

Hey M.

I was all about the KP Tourbillon but I decided against it, I am too afraid of the quality, if it fails I am not sure if my watchsmith can work on a Tourbillon. And 2nd reason....a sporty watch should not show a Tourbillon...mismatch me thinks.

CAnnot say anything about RG RC....I hate gold :D

Tour Auto 2010....you know my thoughts...best ROO quality wise at the moment.

The T3 is tempting....but there will be a reason you sold yours....so thats reason enough to know you do not need it!

What about the MASATO?

Theo