When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartier Santos Carbon ADLC - Gen vs Rep Comparison

mspeed

Overall I just think just a cool watch, I love the color scheme.. The rep is excellent. reliable ETA movement, and The curved case fits my wrist better than a 44mm panerai. I was thinking of getting a 005 and getting it PVD but I prefer this. The gen retails for $7k.

Case - the biggest difference, the color of the coating on the gen lighter, more of a dark grey than black. the gen you can see more of the brushed finish through the coating and the polished edges very shiny

Bezel- finishing is different, gen is matte and not as brushed. The screws are also more flat, matte finished

Crystal- gen looks more clear, otherwise identical

Dial- the spacing and location of "cartier and "automatic" are a bit off, the numerals are smaller and whiter and raised on the gen. the black background looks more matte and textured on the gen.

Clasp- gen has a nice quality feeling snap to it and screws are aligned

Crown- the rep takes more effort to turn the crown, and the black crystal looks deeper and glossier, the edges of the gen crown are chamfered

Movement- both have an ETA movement.. not sure which one but they sound different.. the gen is quieter. turning the crown on the gen, you can only hear clicks

Weight- the gen is about 1oz heavier

Hands- the rep hands are excellent, but the gen hands are shinier, and lumoniva much brighter

Strap- rep strap is really excellent. The stitching isnt as as neat and the inside of the gen strap has brown/goldish lettering

cart1.jpg

cart2.jpg

cart3.jpg

cart4.jpg

The color looks off because the rep isn't DLC, it is actually PVD, but you can cape cod the case and make it look lighter, same as the PVD pams, make the pencil lead look with cape cod. Same for the screws. Now the dial is a whole different story, not much you can do there. But this is a great rep nonetheless. Awesome pictorial!

Great comparison... Thanks!!!

The other thing to notice on the Rep vs. Gen is the finishing on the bevel of the crystal. It's par for the course because I have one Gen is nice and smooth all the way around and Rep is a little edgier and uneven... Your pics show this.

The strap: Rep straps have the upper 4 stitches look like they are not tight. Gen straps have tight stitches all the way. It's only really noticeable at some angles. Your pics show this too.

PS: both watches are PVD'd. PVD refers to a process rather than a coating. The gen is probably PVD'd with DLC, while the rep is PVD'd with something else.