When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Being offered a 3 year old rep for $50 less than "trusted dealers" - worth it?

zub3qin

I am a relative rep newbie.

I am looking for a good quality Cartier Roadster or Tortue. These seem hard to find.

A member of RWG is offering me a 3 year old Roadster rep (Ultimate- Swiss ETA supposedly) for $220.

The member seems reputable based on prior posts, but a 3 year old watch for only $50 less than the "Trusted dealers" price (ie Joshua or Mary) seems steep.

Advantages- the watch was owned by a real rep collector with 40 watches who I suppose took good care of it. Also, it is already sized for my wrist (i hear removing links on these is tough and I'd rather not hunt for some watchmaker that doesn't mind working on a replica watch- and who knows how much they'd charge to adjust)

Disadvantages- light scratches. 3 years old- don't these reps have limited lifespan? No track record of sales.

Is this a bad deal?

Thanks!

If you think it is a good deal then buy it, if not then don't, Simple

Of course it helps if you know what is a good deal, and what isn't, not always simple in the rep world. Which is why questions are always good :D

So questions, which ones should you (OP) be asking yourself?

First off, is the watch readily available from other dealers? Or do they just still have pics of it on their site, but maybe haven't been carrying for a while? If the latter, that would probably increase the value.

Next, if the watch has been sitting around for a number of years, when was it last, if ever, serviced? The synthetic oils used in the movements of our reps and gens, normally have a life of 5 years, after that they start breaking down - whether the watch has been running or not. And of course, if it still has the oil application from the original purchase (no servicing done after purchase), then chances are the oils had not been applied properly in the first place.

Then of course, there is the matter of how your local customs department handles replica watches. For instance, if you are in Texas and the watch is already in the States, this may be a big deal - but if you're in Canada, then customs is not an issue at all.

All things to consider...

Of course it helps if you know what is a good deal, and what isn't, not always simple in the rep world. Which is why questions are always good :D

So questions, which ones should you (OP) be asking yourself?

First off, is the watch readily available from other dealers? Or do they just still have pics of it on their site, but maybe haven't been carrying for a while? If the latter, that would probably increase the value.

Next, if the watch has been sitting around for a number of years, when was it last, if ever, serviced? The synthetic oils used in the movements of our reps and gens, normally have a life of 5 years, after that they start breaking down - whether the watch has been running or not. And of course, if it still has the oil application from the original purchase (no servicing done after purchase), then chances are the oils had not been applied properly in the first place.

Then of course, there is the matter of how your local customs department handles replica watches. For instance, if you are in Texas and the watch is already in the States, this may be a big deal - but if you're in Canada, then customs is not an issue at all.

All things to consider...

The "ultimate" version supposedly accorting to TrustyTime is no longer available. Although I see ETA Roadsters from Mary and others available.

I am in the US, but customs hasn't been an issue in the past with Mary.

I doubt the watch was serviced, so it sounds like it will start breaking down in a couple of years. How much does servicing an ETA rep cost? Do watch-repair shops get angry if you bring in a rep?

Thanks!

The "ultimate" version supposedly accorting to TrustyTime is no longer available. Although I see ETA Roadsters from Mary and others available.

I am in the US, but customs hasn't been an issue in the past with Mary.

I doubt the watch was serviced, so it sounds like it will start breaking down in a couple of years. How much does servicing an ETA rep cost? Do watch-repair shops get angry if you bring in a rep?

Thanks!

read read read read read read!

All of these questions have been answered before in GREAT detail on the forum. I'd buy before a trusted member before buying a new watch from the dealers almost 85% of the time. If you know the watch has been cared for, it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 3 years old. Lots of reps should last a lifetime with proper servicing :)

Edited by plaifender

No one here is going to lead you hand by hand through any watch transaction.

As Plaifender says, read. The answers are already here.

If you do not have a comfort level, do not buy. Purchasing a rep watch here from a listed dealer or known member is a risk. But I knew that when I bought my first reps more than six years ago.

I'm still at it with all of the little heartbreaks and all of the awesome surprises. If you want to run with the big dogs in this game, you have to get off of the porch.

Carl

I have a few problems with this thread.

First you state the seller is a reputable member but the fact you have started the thread suggests you think he is a shyster.

Second if he is reputable do you expect us to shout him down?

Third is the watch you see at dealers the same watch? You state this watch is Swiss ETA and then is he asking $50 less than the total shipped price from a dealer or do you simply refer to the watch price?

At the end of the day a seller can put any value he wishes on a watch it's the market that decides the final price.

Ken

PS. You better hope he still wants to sell you the watch if he see's this thread.

I know this sounds old but the best advise I can give Is "the search function Is your friend" It Is Indeed. I have never had to ask questions like this because I researched my subject. RWG has a Infomation data base that will give you all the Info you will likely ever need. I know It's easier to just ask but It's much more satisfying to find the infomation on your own,this is how we learn. To address your question,go with your gut and the good advice thats been provided,good luck :)

I agree with Ken and some of the other guys here :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Love the "getting off the porch" allegory :D

What ever you decide mate, good luck :D But its your choice as it has been and is for all of us ;)

Hope we didn't scare you off zub3qin! maybe you're just busy getting your READ on!????

There's 24,000 members here on the forum and all that have bought watches have gone through the exact same anxiety you're going through with purchasing their first rep. Your case isn't that special neither is the advice... Do what everyone else does and READ the countless other posts that are like yours asking for guidance when the guidance is right in front of your nose using the search function....

No hard feelings though please. Once you've read some and come up with some real questions, we'll be happy to answer and a lot less snippy :)

We all have had the same dilemma.

Here's how I see it:

1...There is a better chance that the 'swiss eta' in a 3 year old watch is really swiss made than what is available today.

2...I doubt a few years storage would hurt it at all...some of the 'factory fresh' movements are 5+ years old anyway. When you buy the 'latest model' there is no guarantee the movement is fresh.

3...If you like it, buy it.

4...If it turns out to be a dud (no fault of the seller, he did not make it), then join the crowd, we have all bought duds.

I am wearing one now. :animal_rooster:

We all have had the same dilemma.

Here's how I see it:

1...There is a better chance that the 'swiss eta' in a 3 year old watch is really swiss made than what is available today.

2...I doubt a few years storage would hurt it at all...some of the 'factory fresh' movements are 5+ years old anyway. When you buy the 'latest model' there is no guarantee the movement is fresh.

3...If you like it, buy it.

4...If it turns out to be a dud (no fault of the seller, he did not make it), then join the crowd, we have all bought duds.

I am wearing one now. :animal_rooster:

Perfect advice. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Some of those NOS movements that they are using now are dry as dirt from sitting on a shelf for umpteeen years. Another thing, I really believe that a Trusted member here who has been around and has done a fair number of sales/trades, etc. is not going to screw you over. I can tell you from experience, my worst deals have come with newer members with no track record, and dealers.

Buying off trusted members can have advantages. They generally give you an honest appraisal of any flaws that may exist with the watch like crooked markers, dust on the dial, marks in the AR, etc. You will not get that kind of pre-sale description from a dealer. If the owner has 40 watches, I can guarantee that it has not been more than a handful of days in total. Add that to the fact that this particular watch may not be available anymore, and the price really is not that far out of line. Is he paying shipping? Because if you order from a dealer, you'll have to pay that as well.

On the other hand, I have seen many reputable members over the years involved in bad deals, so just remember that just because someone is hear a lot, it doesn't necessarily make them honest. In private deals, the buyer is the one that holds all the risk. The seller will demand the money in hand before anything ships, so it is you that is most likely to get burned. That risk should be taken in to account in the price.

If you want my honest opinion as a long time member, I'll tell you that $25 off list is not enough of a savings to merit a deal IMO. Risk of a bad deal and lack of any after sales service or warranty just isn't worth $25. Buy new or counter offer with a more reasonable price.

Buying off trusted members can have advantages. They generally give you an honest appraisal of any flaws that may exist with the watch like crooked markers, dust on the dial, marks in the AR, etc. You will not get that kind of pre-sale description from a dealer. If the owner has 40 watches, I can guarantee that it has not been more than a handful of days in total. Add that to the fact that this particular watch may not be available anymore, and the price really is not that far out of line. Is he paying shipping? Because if you order from a dealer, you'll have to pay that as well.

On the other hand, I have seen many reputable members over the years involved in bad deals, so just remember that just because someone is hear a lot, it doesn't necessarily make them honest. In private deals, the buyer is the one that holds all the risk. The seller will demand the money in hand before anything ships, so it is you that is most likely to get burned. That risk should be taken in to account in the price.

If you want my honest opinion as a long time member, I'll tell you that $25 off list is not enough of a savings to merit a deal IMO. Risk of a bad deal and lack of any after sales service or warranty just isn't worth $25. Buy new or counter offer with a more reasonable price.

Excellent advice

Seems like I've seen this same thread on other forums. Turns out it is a version that is no longer available. So an apples to oranges comparison at best. Plus, he's already made a counter offer that was turned down. Said the seller took offense.

I strongly doubt that the seller is interested in dealing with the OP.