When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Need help removing a snap on caseback

redwatch

I have a nice vintage Longines that belongs to a co-worker of mine. The crown came off of the stem and I told him I would take a look at it for him. It has a snap off case back, but it is smooth and flush to the edge of the watch case. There are no apparent gaps and I cannot get my watch knife in between the very small grove between the case back and watch case.

Any suggestions or tricks? I verified that it is a snap on case back. I tried a sticky ball and the case back just spins around

I thought of that. However, even if that is the case, how do I pop the crystal out? And then, once I figure that out, how would I remove the dial and movement? How would I release the stem?

If it is a Top Loader case, the stem is a 2 piece Male/female. You need a crystal compression tool(Looks like a 20 talon claw). I have used a pointed screwdriver at the 6 o'clock location next to the bezel and pushed in and up. High risk but effective.

Can you post a pic?

I have a crystal wrench I can send you.

BTW, that houses a very nice Longines caliber 12.68z movement. Very desirable among Longines collectors. Is the case 35.5mm?

Nice piece.

Yes - it is 35.5mm in diameter. I am using a case knife with it, but even if I attempt from the lug sides I get no where. Is there any other fancy trick to it that I am missing?

Now that you have seen a pic, do you think the caseback should come off?

@Red,

The dial is bigger than the exit hole, so you are still going to have to remove the glass.

You need one of these.-

http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=112

You may be able to release the stem from the rear, or as mentioned earlier, it is a split stem, which you will "break"

apart from the dial side. Google "split stem" for a description.

Once you get the plexi out, shoot me an OD, I more than likely have a replacement.

O/S

@Red,

The dial is bigger than the exit hole, so you are still going to have to remove the glass.

You need one of these.-

You may be able to release the stem from the rear, or as mentioned earlier, it is a split stem, which you will "break"

Once you get the plexi out, shoot me an OD, I more than likely have a replacement.

O/S

Thanks O/S! So, does the crystal lift compress the crystal making the O/D smaller so it comes out through the top?

@Red,

You need one of these.-

O/S

Justasgood was nice enough to loan me his wonderful Crystal Removal Tool, but there isn't much of a lip to grab onto on the side of the crystal and it keeps slipping off. It starts to grab it and I am able to turn the crystal in the case, but as soon as I tighten up the tool just a little bit more, it slips off.

Any tips/tricks??

Ok. So now that I have everything pulled apart, the next question is: how to remove the stem? I see a very small hole immediately to the left of the stem on the side of the movement, or a small screw to the right on the bottom of the movement. My guess is I turn the small screw to the right, and unscrew it to loosen the stem?

I await the experts :D

Here's some pics:

95b53716.jpg

15a22943.jpg

a5688596.jpg

The small hole to the left is the screw that holds the dial. The small screw on top and right is the one you need to loosen. Careful you don't back it all the way out. Just loosen, pull on the stem, loosen, pull on the stem until the stem comes out.

When installing the new stem, make sure you twist it as you install it. Once properly seated, tighten that little screw(don't over tighten).

Way to go Red. That is such a nice Longines. I really miss the few that I had.

001-7.jpg

034.jpg

039.jpg

036.jpg