When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is C3 lume accurate for the modern pams or too green?

chad

PAM lume varies considerably depending on model and series, now I am not including PreV or PreA in that I refer to the contemporaries.

All pics of PAMs are very hard to assess the particular lume on the gen as various factors in taking the pic can influence the colour that is seen by the viewer.

But if you hold gens in your hand and hold them up against different gen models you will see slight variations in tone and even colour.

For example from my gens I have found sandwich varies to sausage and autos can vary to manuals and so on and so on.

So to simply say to use a particular mix and ratio of C1 and C3 or C1 or just C3 doesnt follow for all PAMs generally.

PAMs do use variations of these lume colours plus also variations on luminousity, as you need to remember that the C1 or C3 designationation is relative to colour not necessarily strength in adition lume manufacturers have differing lume to each other.

So the variables are more than just a simple choice of C1 and C3 or a mix there of.

Pete summed it up quite nicely above.

It ain't that simple as saying 66% & 33% or 50% & 50% C1 & C3.

No one outside Panerai can state a S/L lume mix formula with a 100% certainty when it comes to Panerai dials and hands produced over he years. The early ones from B-series onwards featured white-ish creamy color of non-charged lume, mainly on manual wind historics. Sandwich dials had more of that ivory color appearance at first (Fiddy and 217) that slowly transcended over the series that followed into more white-ish.

Autos, on the other hand almost always sported the slightly greenish lume when compared to the Manuals. As the time progressed this 'hint-of-green' have become a very noticeable, almost in-your-face kind of green. It only takes a short stroll to your AD shop to see that in person.

So IMO, while the lume on historics could well be a custom mixture of 'C1' and 'C3', the lume on Autos most definitely has a good part of green 'C5' S/L in it.