When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning titanium watches?

Jetpac

Hi guys, this is my first post here as someone has tipped me to the forums and im enjoying the information and all the photos having always loved watches!

However at the moment i only have my one watch a Tissot pr50 Titanium. not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.

But whilst im saving for my first rep (i think an IWC 3717 or a SM, again ive been spurred on by what ive seen here!) i was wanting to get my current watch looking as good as i can!

How can i polish the scatches out of the titanium on the case?

thanks!

Stefan

Hi guys, this is my first post here as someone has tipped me to the forums and im enjoying the information and all the photos having always loved watches!

However at the moment i only have my one watch a Tissot pr50 Titanium. not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.

But whilst im saving for my first rep (i think an IWC 3717 or a SM, again ive been spurred on by what ive seen here!) i was wanting to get my current watch looking as good as i can!

thanks!

Stefan

I use the poor mans version: scotch brite pad (green). I get the pad a tad moist (or not) and follow the grain of the titanium and go back and forth, never circular.

1. For slight surface scratches you can use an eraser (I forget which one, I think the pen removal eraser).

2. Scotch Brite pad (green)

3. Search for Bergeon scratch removal pens or fiberglass pens

post-20257-0-86650300-1291490033.jpg

thanks!

Stefanhttp://www.rwgforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=3&t=125748&qpid=911161

Welcome to the Forum!

The search button is your friend. Dont be afraid to ask questions. You will find some more ornery than others but we are all a friendly bunch! Research, research and when you think you got it, research some more! There is more than meets the eye with reps. Dont for get to read the stickies at the beginning of the sub-fora of your choice. It is entirely normal for your head to spin after your first week or so. My head still takes a dive every now and again.

Wow thanks for all the posts an the welcome guys :)

Looks like im tracking down an ink eraser, i think i have one somewhere, need to track down a new TI bracelet for it aswell as the current one is just about hanging on!

Ive learned so much already about reps in just a few days looking at the forums, i had no idea there was so much to them or to be honest how expensive they are comepared to how much i thought they would cost!

the benefits of learning hey!

Ive always been facinated by watches, however i think i would be far far to scared to ever take apart one of these watches! ive seen the relumes, the replacement crystals etc on this forum and have been amazed by how differnt things can look after the mods even with really slight tweaks!

As ive said im looking forward to getting my first rep as realistically it will be a very long time or some ood lotter luck before i can afford or justify the purchase of a gen! Ive got a wedding to save up for aswell so the wifer to be probably wouldnt be too happy about me getting drawn into these forums! :p

Wow thanks for all the posts an the welcome guys :)

Looks like im tracking down an ink eraser, i think i have one somewhere, need to track down a new TI bracelet for it aswell as the current one is just about hanging on!

Ive learned so much already about reps in just a few days looking at the forums, i had no idea there was so much to them or to be honest how expensive they are comepared to how much i thought they would cost!

the benefits of learning hey!

Ive always been facinated by watches, however i think i would be far far to scared to ever take apart one of these watches! ive seen the relumes, the replacement crystals etc on this forum and have been amazed by how differnt things can look after the mods even with really slight tweaks!

As ive said im looking forward to getting my first rep as realistically it will be a very long time or some ood lotter luck before i can afford or justify the purchase of a gen! Ive got a wedding to save up for aswell so the wifer to be probably wouldnt be too happy about me getting drawn into these forums! :p

Like I said, take your time gathering the info you need. But I do think you could splurge on a nice entry level watch of your choice! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Like I said, take your time gathering the info you need. But I do think you could splurge on a nice entry level watch of your choice! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I might just do that ;) gotta get this one looking like new first!

Ronin: what was the process you used? that refinish looks amazing!

I used the following items:

1 - Scratch Brush from Ofrei. (I suppose an ink eraser will do instead)

1000 grit sandpaper for the really bad areas

Ofrei "Omega Titanium Refinishing Pad" aka Scotch Bright pad

Blue Painters tape

Dish Detergent (Dawn) and Water for final washes.

Gently and evenly with the grain, simply rub out the scratches.

• Like 1

I used the following items:

1 - Scratch Brush from Ofrei. (I suppose an ink eraser will do instead)

1000 grit sandpaper for the really bad areas

Ofrei "Omega Titanium Refinishing Pad" aka Scotch Bright pad

Blue Painters tape

Dish Detergent (Dawn) and Water for final washes.

Gently and evenly with the grain, simply rub out the scratches.

Ta very much! i will now get on o tracking down those items tomorrow to see if i can get my watch looking nice and new!

• 2 weeks later...

Pen eraser for me also.. Making sure the strokes are even ... Whatever you do.. Do not use any type of polish as it will put too much of a sheen to the metal

for refinishing the fiberglass pens work really well...

Good to see ya around Bro!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Pen eraser for me also.. Making sure the strokes are even ... Whatever you do.. Do not use any type of polish as it will put too much of a sheen to the metal

for refinishing the fiberglass pens work really well...

Does the pen eraser bring back the "polish"? the watch has been my daily wear for 6 years and is just looking a bit tired.

Ive got the strap looking real nice (however the middle needs its pollish brought back)

I was wondering past a jewelers the other day and saw my watch in the window (for twice what it cost brand new 6 years ago, which was nice) and i could really tell how much lustre mine has lost!

Does the pen eraser bring back the "polish"? the watch has been my daily wear for 6 years and is just looking a bit tired.

Ive got the strap looking real nice (however the middle needs its pollish brought back)

I was wondering past a jewelers the other day and saw my watch in the window (for twice what it cost brand new 6 years ago, which was nice) and i could really tell how much lustre mine has lost!

I like the "patina" look myself on TI .. It goes a little darker than the fresh new look.. But if you wan to bring the brillance to TI .. I would recommend the fiberglass brush .. Because it will refinish the metal with a very fine "satin" finish as it looks when new.. And it will restore the metal to a lighter shade.. The pen erSer will do that but it's hard to get nice even strokes ..

You can use the fiberglass pen the same way you would a paint brush .. Following the contour of the case ..

I refinished a Vintage Doxa case with it and it turned out nicely.

Just use even strikes like your "painting" a new finish on it :)

@Hike .. Long time bruddah !!!! Good to be slowly easing back into the "passion" !!!!

AC/Lani