When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finished: 1655 Explorer II build

grifter

I finally had a chance to write this up. I really wanted to do this watch justice by taking pics with a camera instead of my usual iphone pics.. LOL

First and foremost, a million thanks to pbdad who finished off my build. http://http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=112944 I can't say enough good things about him as a person and for his work. Truely amazing!

Enough talk, hope you all enjoy the pics.

Here is what I had in mind: gen 1655

1655-1.jpg

Here is my finished 1655:

P1010725.jpg

P1010718.jpg

P1010726.jpg

P1010719.jpg

P1010722.jpg

P1010721.jpg

Looking back at the conversations between pbdad and myself, we had around 70 emails. I gave him ideas. He gave me ideas. The whole process was AWESOME! I felt like I was there with him while he was working his magic!

I sent him this picture of lbd1014's 6152/1 http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=113613 that Nightwatch did the dial and lume for.

GREATLUME.jpg

I LOVE the "star" effect and asked pbdad if he could do that on the 1655. He said it would be difficult but that he would do his best. Honestly, I didn't think it would be possible because of the type of markers I had compared to the PAM, and also because of the difficulty level. I figured pbdad was super busy as it was, and put it out of my mind. I really didn't expect to see this when I took the lume shots for this post...

P1010727.jpg

I literally screamed out, "HOLY CRAP!" and had to go into a darker room to see this again and make sure I wasn't halucinating!

P1010739.jpg

He did it! He remembered how crazy I was about the lume effect and made it reality for me in my watch. WOW!!! Like I said, pbdad is amazing!

P1010729.jpg

P1010731.jpg

P1010734.jpg

Flat 3 datewheel:

P1010735.jpg

Every single thing I asked pbdad to try to do, he did. Color of the GMT hand. Exactly what I wanted. Lume color, texture, and effect. Dead on. Contamination level on the hands. Perfect.

I am so happy with this watch and with pbdad's work. So happy, in fact, that I am looking for a better movement and quite possibly may go super franken with a gen movement.

Hope you enjoy the pics and this write up.

P1010728.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos and the story. I have seen so many bad reps of that watch [and sad to say I owned a couple] that I didn't think that I would ever see one done so well. That is a positively beautiful piece and the way pbdad ages his pieces and pays attention to the small details is absolutely astonishing.

GA400