When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Battle of the $200 White 1680 - PT vs. Josh

bkwbkw

In this corner we have Josh's "new" white 1680:

http://www.1-pc8838.com/0rlsv01004-vintage-1680-white-asia-2836-best-p-9479.html

And in the other corner, we have PT's tried and true 1680 with slow beat 2846:

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/vintage-white-submariner-1680/

Since nobody can find me an older MBW 1680, it's time I move down the range and into cartel territory for my next acquisition. I'll be doing some simple mods, but want the better base between these two choices.

The only PT dial I've seen upclose didnt have a beveled date window, and the fonts were a bit "hokey". I have yet to see Josh's new 1680 in person or in pictures so I can't compare. Hoping someone out there in RWG land can comment on the two dials. Also, Josh advertises that his 1680 can take all gen parts - something that PT doesnt claim. Can the PT take gen xtals and tubes?

The mods that'll be applied are:

Massaged crown guards

Gen 703/7030

Clark tropic plexi

Age dial + bezel

Yuki pearl

I'd appreciate the forums thoughts on which to build please.

Happy Holidays!

Since nobody can find me an older MBW 1680, it's time I move down the range and into cartel territory for my next acquisition.

The mods that'll be applied are:

Massaged crown guards

Gen 703/7030

Clark tropic plexi

Age dial + bezel

Yuki pearl

i thought the josh and PT were the exact same despite what marketing twist they throw on it, be it "doomed crystal" or "NON dissected" lab frog

older MBK 1680? if you get the correct POLEX watch there really is and always was just one. if you go back to threads from 2007 you'll find the same serial numbers offered on the watches from 2010. the trick is to get the 5513 case that contains a 1680 dial and crystal, if you ask for a 1680 you'll get something with a one piece solid case that you dont want.

IMO the 1665 from the same factory as PTs 1680 wasnt worth buying if you have plans to mod it into something outstanding. it needs a lot of work, youre basically just getting a slow beat eta that requires immediate servicing, a movement that can be had for less than $200 and a case that requires a total overhaul. out of the box its totally a good buy, but the experience ends there.

I have found something REALLY interesting today...

I have received my "new" 1680 from King a few days ago (same as Josh's) but hadn't the time to have a deep look at it.

I was trying to screw a gen crown on it (doesn't work...needs to change tube...)when I realized the caseback engravings were wrong (they say 5512).

So I took the bracelet off, watched between the lugs and...IT SAYS "REGISTERED POLEX DESIGN 5513"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they use the same mold or whatever as MBW?????

I will try to shoot and post some pics later...

I thought the "Polex" watches from the cartel were the MBW copies that came out a few years back...

I believe there are a number of different factories making vintage parts and each dealer cherry picks the parts they want to hit a certain retail price point or certain level of accuracy. I know i have seen a number of 1680's from Puretime and there are at least TWO different clasps on the bracelets. Another modder here stated that the cases are inconsistant when it comes to making retaining rings and that there are at least 2 different types of cases out there also. My 1680 datewheel lined up perfectly with MBW dials and a gen sub dial, while others say that the date font is too far to the left or right. Also some datewindows look super skinny top to bottom while others are completely different.

It would be nice to be able to choose the parts you want and build your own watch. I would be interested to know a reliable source for the polex 5513 copy cases. Replacing a tube is minor, but when a crystal doesnt fit, then its off to the machine shop and a whole lot of time and work.

I will tell you though that my recently bought 1680 from Puretime which does not accecpt a gen crystal but does take a gen crown, has the same serial number as my old MBW 5513 case that Ive had for 5+ years. It sounds like the factory that built my specific case partially copied the MBW case but must have custom tooled it to fit a wide range of aftermarket crystals, hence the white gasket used to lock it down. This case will be just fine once i send it to JMB for some lathe work.

It would be nice if everyone could post their serial number, where they got it and if it takes a gen crystal or crown.

Puretime 1680 white dial.

Orig ROLEX design 1680

L34xxx same as my old MBW

Case is thicker than my old gen MBW5513

PT case takes larger dial 27mm+ so it will accept gen size dial

Gen MBW 5513 case will NOT take gen size dial 26.5mm. Dial needs to be trimmed to 26mm

PT accepts gen crystal NO

PT accepts gen crown YES

I'm going to email King asap!! Polex Polex Polex!!!

Even though it has the same "engraving" inside the lugs, doesn't guarantee it is the exact same case. I believe it's going to take someone tearing one down and taking some accurate measurements of the new case as well as a known vintage MBW Polex 5513 to be able to tell if it definitely is the same.

The original 1680 (Polex 5513) is a great platform for some serious modding, to a point, but the dial size is a sure tell if you're trying to build a real "Super franken" I was looking at doing that, and I was dissuaded by several much more knowledgable Vintage Rolex Experts who pretty much said, go with the genuine insert, crown/tube, crystal, slow beat 2846 and crown guard modding, etc. but don't spend money on a 1570 movement and a genuine or high quality aftermarket dial and hands, Also considering that I'm seeing really nice genuine 1680's every day o nthe VRF markert place for around 4500.00 USD, It wouldn't make much sense to spend 2500-3000 USD on a Franken.

If this turns out to be an identical case in size and construction, it would be great for all who have been searching in vain for a old Polex 5513.

VERY INTERESTING. lets see some case shots, like lug hole position, case back engraving, clasp, endlinks. ive never seen an MBK with a 5512 case back engraving, and the cgs are completely different than what MBK offers. the dial/insert is also not MBK. 'Polex' could very well be a coincidence. my guess is its a copy of the copy maybe :)

some comparative shots i found

4844764844_ee5ea27fab.jpg

4614291790_63d32749bd.jpg

4614291662_781405cc72.jpg

what else besides possibly the case is useable on KINGs watch? MBK cases w/shipping can be had for less than the cost of the $200 watch

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

It has the gen bezel construction.

I bought the 1680 from Pt then sold it as it was definitely nite good for modding.

let's dream, maybe it's the same case as Mbw...

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

UGG!! We bought ours at roughly the same time. You've had yours for a few days now and mines still setting in customs at O'hare. Nice watch though!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a PT1665 and although I was initially excited the watch turned out to be a mess. Non existent QC. Everything that could be wrong with a watch was wrong. Also when I compare the metal used to make my MBW 1680 and 1665 the PT 1665 is obviously a lower grade.....much more darker in color...no sparkle to the metal at all.

I bought a PT1665 and although I was initially excited the watch turned out to be a mess. Non existent QC. Everything that could be wrong with a watch was wrong. Also when I compare the metal used to make my MBW 1680 and 1665 the PT 1665 is obviously a lower grade.....much more darker in color...no sparkle to the metal at all.

Certainly the first batch of PT 1665's were better, but that was two years ago. The thing about the chinese rep market is that it's always changing. Noobs and SSD's, MBW or MBK's- everything is a moving target.

That's why all you can do is hope for the best and if it doesn't work out, go onto the next watch. Sooner or later you'll end up w/ a few keepers.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up joshes 5512 a few weeks ago and was half [censored] when I saw the POLEX on the end and 5513 not 5512 ... Other than that rs a great watch ! .. I think the CG needs work but I'm afraid I'll ruin it for the '65+ look I'm going for "a la McQueen" not a fad person just been a McQueen fan since I was a child ..

Anyways the point of my post .. I always go on tangents lol sorry anyways , so the 5513 case and POLEX signifies a good case ?

"The original 1680 (Polex 5513) is a great platform for some serious modding, to a point, but the dial size is a sure tell if you're trying to build a real "Super franken" I was looking at doing that, and I was dissuaded by several much more knowledgable Vintage Rolex Experts who pretty much said, go with the genuine insert, crown/tube, crystal, slow beat 2846 and crown guard modding, etc. but don't spend money on a 1570 movement and a genuine or high quality aftermarket dial and hands..."

Very good advice.

"Sooner or later you'll end up w/ a few keepers."

True. Some of my best cases came from 'River' 6 or 8 years ago. Also have a few 'Monarch Polfy/Gelena Shitinerand' DJ cases from years back that accept genspec case tubes, crystals, gaskets etc and are better than many today. I don't know the history behind the Monarch Polfy cases but some were pretty good.