When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen tissot trying hard to pretend it was a rep!

Guest Sql_pl

Went out with some friends yesterday. One of the guys bought his fiancee a new tissot prc 200 lady with mop dial. Very nice watch. Looking at subdials I figured I was about to see a good old 7750 friend through the casback glass... When it made it to my hands, I turn it around and see a horror. Thin, bearingless shitty rotor, almost invisible movement covered with dull gray metal covers and a ring of black with gold letters saying automatic chronograph 888, just like in old crappy see through backs of canal street rollies back in late 1980's.

First though was that my friend possibly got scammed! Today I googled the watch though and maybe even to a bigger horror it turned out a gen looks like this! Please see a picture below:

T014.427.16.051.00-2.jpg

Isn't it at least disturbing?

Edited by Sql_pl

I have seen quite a few as new Tissot and Bulova recently, which look like they are being manufactured in China.

Shouldn't be a surprise....we will find everything coming from there in a few years.

I wonder if this 7750 is also Chinese born? Can only hope its better than an A7750, and that there are parts available for it.

Really starting to make a mockery of "Swiss made"

Offshore

I'm surprised that this is the new movement, clearly the finish isn't as good. Is this meant to totally replace the 7750? It appears there have been a number of changes, not the least of which is the bridges. Are there supposed to be performance gains in this?

This is the new chrono fro ETA it is not a replacement for the 7750 but the swatch groups way to make a buget mechanical chrono

ETA_C01-211.jpg

I belive it is made in switzerland but knowing the swatch group made parts in china

its nae is the ETA C01-211

First though was that my friend possibly got scammed! Today I googled the watch though and maybe even to a bigger horror it turned out a gen looks like this! Please see a picture below:

T014.427.16.051.00-2.jpg

Isn't it at least disturbing?

It does remind me of some of the poor fakes I have come across on TaoBao, which is the chinese equivalent of eBay. The thick gold lettering on that black ring just makes everything worse. The movement itself is quite uninspiring, which is why on the new Swatch mechanical chronographs, only the balance wheel is displayed in the caseback.

Swatch-Automatich-Chrono-Silver-Class-121.jpg

It is quite disappointing, given that the excellent Seagull 1963 mechanical chronograph has this beautiful ST19 mechanical chronograph movement, based on a Venus 175:

seagull-1963-display-back1.jpg

all this for about $200. Granted it doesn't have automatic winding, but one nevertheless wonders about the value proposition of the new ETA chronograph movement.

Edited by calatrava

• 3 weeks later...