When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who Said Gens Are Perfect?

craigb

Was looking at a few gens on the net the other day, just window shopping i guess, came across this tt sub, looked nice until i noticed the rehault engraving, think my rep looks pretty good after seeing this!!! enjoy... :victory:

post-26251-0-08299100-1294831197.jpg

Edited by craigb

Wow this just put on a different light on gens for me....i guess there are tolerances the gen manufacturers deem acceptable. so why pay big bucks when you can get the same "tolerances" from a rep :p

The only thing perfect in the world is my 2 year old grandson. One can find something wrong with everything else.

Not lining up is one thing, not having the correct engraving the other.

Gens DO have the correct engraving as the angle between every letter is the same as between every minute line.

On the reps the engraving does not line up because of a wrong font and size for the engraving.

This reminds me of a comment I saw years ago on a gen forum where someone was complaining about a mis-allignment of some detail of their Rolex, and were told "Stop acting like this is the first expensive thing you've owned, and just enjoy it for what it is..." :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

"Wow this just put on a different light on gens for me....i guess there are tolerances the gen manufacturers deem acceptable. so why pay big bucks when you can get the same "tolerances" from a rep."

In all my years, I have never been impressed by a genuine r...x watch.

Why?

There are so many of them and a large percentage of the owners are (for want of a better term), just plain peckerheads. :thumbdown:

Otoh, I have been impressed by many of the hand massaged replica watches I have seen on TRC and RWG...and the owners are nice guys. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

"Wow this just put on a different light on gens for me....i guess there are tolerances the gen manufacturers deem acceptable. so why pay big bucks when you can get the same "tolerances" from a rep."

Why?

There are so many of them and a large percentage of the owners are (for want of a better term), just plain peckerheads. :thumbdown:

Otoh, I have been impressed by many of the hand massaged replica watches I have seen on TRC and RWG...and the owners are nice guys. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

+1 :drinks:

There is a great post on RWI today that also shows the very same construction inconsistency across a good selection of gen watches.I have observed that issue as well with regard to Gen Panerai watches and those that follow Panerai history know the odd-ball construction issues that have gone on over the years with individual watches let alone throughout a models construction year. And so it should be with the "Hand Made" nature of these watch, no 2 watches should be exactly the same and that difference should be celebrated. On the other hand, the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth that goes on over macro 3rd party photographs that show horrible flaws that few if anybody can see and even less care about, ends up stopping a lot of people from enjoying a fairly well crafted and inexpensive replica. So if you are hanging on to tight about the "perfection" of all genuine watch brands,or agonizing over the fact your reps "Font is warped", you should really lighten up and relax a bit and enjoy what you've got, instead of what you don't have. Because nobody is going to know it but you !!!

Rogerwine

Why?

Love the band, hate the fans, and not too crazy about the new albums, either! :)

Likewise, from my experience exchanging PMs, the guys I chat with on the rep forums are more pleasant, and much more knowledgeable/eager-to-learn than their incurious, gen-owning counterparts.

Love the band, hate the fans, and not too crazy about the new albums, either! :)

Likewise, from my experience exchanging PMs, the guys I chat with on the rep forums are more pleasant, and much more knowledgeable/eager-to-learn than their incurious, gen-owning counterparts.

Amen brother.... :)

I've been told by my watchsmith that also in gens you can find pieces of dust or small particles that come from the lume when it gets older.

This means the gens are assembled two doors away from the sweater and dust factory. The rep assembly room however is just right next door...between the gen and the sweater and dust factory. :)

Why?

+2 :victory:

It's a bit rich generalising many Rolex owners as dickheads. Women too? Sounds like penis envy. Every group has their [censored] whether they be Rolex owners or Rep watch guys whom take their fake watches into the AD trying to fool the staff. Pretty sure there is one of those every week posting their story on the boards. Lets not profile folk like the Casio F91W owners were.

I'd be pretty [censored] getting one of these lemons. Not just Rolex, there are pictures of Pateks with flaws too (can't find the thread), so no doubt affects all gen marques so a small extent. I'd be more interested in the exchange policy of Rolex. Surely they'd exchange it, right? Everyone is allowed to screw up, but they better damn fix it!