When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting.....can't figure out IF I like this one.... real life PB like special...>>

OI812

IF you like that one you'll really like this one....a sacrilege to do this to a true classic...

http://www.watchguru.com/WatchFiend/Watch-Details/Rolex/Explorer-II-Orange-Hand-PVD/12463

I like PVD/DLC as much as most, but, man to do that to a 1655 is beyond me....

Edited by OI812

Obviously, what one does with his own watch is his own business. looking ahead however, it boggles my mind that someone would do that to an iconic watch like the 1655.Surely to a collector PVD coating the 1655 would destroy its collector value. The price they are asking is right up there with a really nice condition collectible 1655 ,of which it obviously is not any longer. Of the two, it does look the best. the first one looks like a cheap mall watch that was painted. There are so many 2nd tier homage watches that are available, why would someone want to do that to a genuine Rolex, or for that matter a genuine anything!

If you want to see some action, post that thread and link over on the Vintage Rolex Forum :whistling:=@ =@

Obviously, what one does with his own watch is his own business. looking ahead however, it boggles my mind that someone would do that to an iconic watch like the 1655.Surely to a collector PVD coating the 1655 would destroy its collector value. The price they are asking is right up there with a really nice condition collectible 1655 ,of which it obviously is not any longer. Of the two, it does look the best. the first one looks like a cheap mall watch that was painted. There are so many 2nd tier homage watches that are available, why would someone want to do that to a genuine Rolex, or for that matter a genuine anything!

If you want to see some action, post that thread and link over on the Vintage Rolex Forum :whistling:=@ =@

I guess it's the same reason people get their cars customized and resprayed :) Some people like factory stock, some like custom :) Personally, the iconic status of the 1655 irritates me. Design-wise, yes, it was a unique watch, so deserves its place in Rolex history on that merit, but everytime someone calls it a 'McQueen' (even though I know I once did that myself) I cringe, as there's no proof of him ever having anything to do with the watch. Newman Daytonas, sure, that was what Newman wore, but McQueen wore a 5513 (or 5512, I forget which...), not a 1655... If anything, it should now be refered to as a Bloom, as there is actually proof of Orlando owning one (and getting it stolen :bangin: ) Back on the topic though, I guess if someone can afford the pricetag and still want to customize, I guess they're just not worried about resale value :pardon:

I think the VRF folks would just go nuts with indignation at such sacrilege :D But of course, the South African MilSub was Teflon coated, and I'd guarantee that if there was a historical precedent for such a 1655, those same folks would go equally nuts with adoration and the desire to acquire ;)

Yeah, but...

Steve was cooler. :cool2:

For sure, Steve was an awesome guy, and did so much charity work which people didn't know about, he is certainly someone to admire and left good footsteps to follow in :)

But, it just seems funny/interesting/strange to me that he is so often connected to the 1655 by others, rather than to the Sub which he did own :lol: One thing's for sure, wearing the watch 'Bloom-Style', has actually given me a new appreciation for mine, where before, I really couldn't stand to wear it... So much so, I'm even now in two minds about doing the Oliver Shepard-conversion I had planned for it :g::pardon:

LOL.....I THOUGHT about it, but, as a long time member there I wouldn't want to blow my cover. ;) After a few days it would probably be an interesting thread to read. :)

I'm 100% with you on the 1655. I CANNOT believe somebody would do that to such a classic Rolex, much less expect to sell it like it were a prime example of a 1655. Man, just take a Steinhart/Avier/MKII homage and have it pvd/dlc, but, not a 1655.