When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Triplock Crowns

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I was hoping that someone here could set me straight on Triplock crowns. Are there basically to types available right now (703 and 704)? I have bought three 24-703 crowns new in the package and they all look like the first picture I posted (taller coronet). This is the crown that I have used and seen on vintage watches. The second is the type of crown on my Sea-Dweller and used on the current watches I have seen. I have read that this is a 704 crown. I just got a R-20 from 2003 and it says that a 16520 should get a 24-703 crown and a 116520 should get a 704. When I look at them though, the coronet is the same (fatter). So, is there is 703 crown with a fatter coronet? I have bought a bunch of used crowns on eBay and they have all been the more modern type but I don't know exactly what version it is. The main reason I am asking is just to set me straight but to also make sure I get the correct crown for my 16520 build. Thanks for any clarification and I apologize in advance if this is confusing.

2-1.jpg

7.jpg

The crown with space between the coronet & dots is the current Triplock (703 & 704, which look similar from the outside). The version without the space is the previous version (702). Rolex installs the 703/704 currently on most sport models during servicing, however, vintage sport models since approximately the 80s would have come with a 702 (earlier sports models would have been fit with a 700, which is actually a Twinlock & lacks the dots altogether).

This is a very complicated subject (with many exceptions to the rules) that could fill a book (if Rolex were willing to provide guidance, which they will never do).

Thanks for the quick replies. The 704 is also a 7mm crown. The first picture I posted is of a 703 crown fitted with a 7030 tube. I believe the 702 looked similar but only fits on a 7020 tube (no outer o-ring). I don't believe the two are interchangeable. So, how can you tell if you have a 703 or a 704 if the coronets look the same? Also, how do you know you are getting the correct 703 if there are two different coronets? Is there a distinction in the packaging? Thanks again!!!

I believe the 702 looked similar but only fits on a 7020 tube (no outer o-ring). I don't believe the two are interchangeable. So, how can you tell if you have a 703 or a 704 if the coronets look the same? Also, how do you know you are getting the correct 703 if there are two different coronets? Is there a distinction in the packaging? Thanks again!!!

You are correct in that the 702 and 703 are not interchangeable. When updating to a 703 assembly, you change out the crown and the tube.

The tall coronet on the 703 is older- from 80's thru to 90's maybe. To find one now it would either be used or NOS. Short coronet is the current 703 production model. And Justasgood explained the diff between the 703 and 704. I don't know if the 704 will become the new standard or if it is just used on the more expensive watches- Daytona and YM for example.

Thanks for the links and replies. So just to be clear, there is a 703 crown (steel crimped over brass) with the short coronet? Is there a way to tell by the packaging to tell the difference? I am wanting to buy a new 703 crown for my 16520 but want the correct coronet. A lot of eBay sellers take pictures but you cannot see the coronet. I may just go with a 704 if I can find one just to be safe. Thanks again for the help and clarification!

Any 703 can be correct for your 16520. During a servicing, Rolex would install the newest version they have in stock. A 704 wouldnt be correct but I guess they might install them these days if you sent in a watch for service.

I am sorry to bother you guys and I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse. I just don't feel like I have my mind wrapped around it yet.

Have you seen a 703 crown in packaging with the fatter coronet? I have looked and cannot find a reference. I see mention of the fat coronet as a 703 but none are in packaging. Are all of the fat coronets monobloc and then designated 704?

I just did a quick search on eBay and saw some 16520's with 703 (tall coronet) and some with the fat coronet. Still so confused and the Rolex

R20's are no help. Thanks for any enlightenment!!!!

I was only looking at 16520's. One of then was a T series from 1996 that has the shorter coronet. It has Rolex service papers from 2009 that says "polish monobloc crown". I also looked at another T, U, and W serial with the taller coronet. I am still trying to find a fat coronet that is not monobloc. That would make things very easy. It would seem that a monobloc crown would be okay. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!