When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My noob EXPII with modded gen dial

chiman12

I purchased a noob Explorer II from a fellow member quite awhile back (obviously it had the incorrect steel markers) and it has been sitting in my parts box for quite some time until I could locate a gen dial for transplant. Finally, I located and purchased a gen 16570 dial on fleabay, it had missing lume and a couple of the markers were scratched through the black on the markers. But overall, the dial was not too bad.

I had initially wanted to get one of the expert modders to relume my dial with white lume, but one day I was looking through my Japanese Rolex references books and found this 16570...

img011.jpg

The modders must be busy, because I never heard back from them, so I took it upon myself to do my first relume on the dial. It's not perfect, but I have learned a lot on how to lume a dial. One day, if I have more time, I'll relume the dial again. But the Explorer has been sitting in my box for so long, I just want to wear it.

I also repaired the two markers to the best of my ability with a very fine feltliner by carefully dabbing at the markers in question and did minor adjustments, like realign the bezel, because it was crooked. Here is the results...

P1013941.jpg

P1013939.jpg

Because I'm not a big fan of the modern Explorer II, I was initially going to relume the dial and sell it. But after the relume, the noob 16570 has really grown on me.

So I'll drill the lug holes next and swap out the crown with a gen one and hold on to this baby...

ByTor was correct, the noob Explorer II is one heck of a rep...more so with a gen polar dial. I love the contrast of the black markers and hands against the white dial face...

Thanks for looking everyone!!!!

Good job Chi!

Glad you were able to put a gen dial in an Explorer II case. Is this perchance an early noob case, or just another rep case which takes a gen dial? I'm headed upstairs to uncase my $100 ExpII and measure the dial!

Drilling lugholes would be cool, and maybe a 78360 or 93150 bracelet with 501 end pieces- I'd have to check my reference chart, but w/ the tritium dial, you are definitely pre 1999.

It looks GREAT, Chi. And thanks for the measurements. You (or anyone else) wouldn't happen to know the exact inside diameter measurement on a gen GMT 17610 retaining ring ??? Hadn't noticed why your EXP sorta looked brighter and cleaner till just now. White hand lume....looks GREAT !!!

Good job Chi!

Glad you were able to put a gen dial in an Explorer II case. Is this perchance an early noob case, or just another rep case which takes a gen dial? I'm headed upstairs to uncase my $100 ExpII and measure the dial!

Drilling lugholes would be cool, and maybe a 78360 or 93150 bracelet with 501 end pieces- I'd have to check my reference chart, but w/ the tritium dial, you are definitely pre 1999.

Hey M...I believe it is an early noob case...as far as I know, no other case, even the later noob case accepts a gen dial. But then again, I'm not an expert in the noob field...