When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

davidsen hands quality?

yodaddynukka

The hands are very good. My only criticism is the second hands will not fit as the tube is too short to clear the dial. If you order make sure to ask for a longer tubed second hand (or use the existing one). The finish on the hands is very good and no scratches or marks anywhere (much better than standard). The really good news is they will allow you to get rid of the cannon pinion problem without having to change the pinion which is excellent news. I know this as I have just fitted some.

The hands are very good. My only criticism is the second hands will not fit as the tube is too short to clear the dial. If you order make sure to ask for a longer tubed second hand (or use the existing one). The finish on the hands is very good and no scratches or marks anywhere (much better than standard). The really good news is they will allow you to get rid of the cannon pinion problem without having to change the pinion which is excellent news. I know this as I have just fitted some.

@finepics

Do you mean the "normal" hands or the hands with caps? I am just thinking about ordering the golden C3 caps hands and a california dial for a nice project. What do you think about davidsen's dial (lume) quality? Is it real swiss made SuperLuminova as he promises?

@finepics

Do you mean the "normal" hands or the hands with caps? I am just thinking about ordering the golden C3 caps hands and a california dial for a nice project. What do you think about davidsen's dial (lume) quality? Is it real swiss made SuperLuminova as he promises?

You do not need the capped hands for the fiddy. Just get the normal hands and they will fit perfectly and no recessed pin anymore. I have done this to two fiddys already.

If he is shipping the hands shown on TRC, correct me if I'm wrong, but they are the incorrect hands.

His hour hand shows a wider lume strip than the lume strip on his minute hand, shouldn't they be the same width???

No the lume on the hour hand is wider than the minute hand and should be. Also the circular end of the minute hand is a slightly larger diameter than the standard hands which is also better. These hands are really very good and they are in super lume.

I am actually enquiring Davidsen on hands for a PAM104 that I recently purchased, and that I want to mod with gold hands (eeeeek! :lol:).

He looked willing and helpful so far. Still waiting for his last response, though.

If anyone is interested in the hand specs of these common asian automatic 21j movements everywhere around, here are those I have found:

hour hand: hole diameter 1.55 mm, length 10 mm (from the middle of the hole to the tip)

minute hand: hole diameter 1 mm, length 14 mm

small second hand: hole diameter 0.18 mm

(thanks to The Zigmeister for providing info on hole sizes)

Hi Finepics,

I am thinking about getting David's 127 dial and hands that he carry, so I can have matching lume. so you are saying that by just using his regular gold 127 hands, we can install this, and no more recessed pin problem? how does this differ than let's say a 111, is the cannon pinion longer on the 127 versus the 111? Do you have any pictures of the 127s that you've done by any chance. I was just about to place the order with him, but your previous post is very intriguing. if you have more information on this, I would love to know about it. thanks.

Hi Finepics,

I am thinking about getting David's 127 dial and hands that he carry, so I can have matching lume. so you are saying that by just using his regular gold 127 hands, we can install this, and no more recessed pin problem? how does this differ than let's say a 111, is the cannon pinion longer on the 127 versus the 111? Do you have any pictures of the 127s that you've done by any chance. I was just about to place the order with him, but your previous post is very intriguing. if you have more information on this, I would love to know about it. thanks.

What I have found is that on the plain dials you can file down the minute hand tube to .44mm then it fits the top of the cannon pinion properly. The cannon pinions are all the same size on the hand fitting whatever the length of the pinion. But you have to make sure that the hour hand does not touch the seconds hand. If the dial has been re-lumed then it is a bit more difficult as the second hand now has to clear the raised lume leaving less clearance for the hour hand.

On the Fiddy the second hand is much smaller so the hour hand clears it no problem. Then the minute hand (filed down to .44mm) or Davidsens hand will pop straight on. The Lume on his hands has very little excess under the hand so there is almost plenty of clearance between it and the hour hand - recessed pin gone!!!

awesome discovery yet again finepics!

What I have found is that on the plain dials you can file down the minute hand tube to .44mm then it fits the top of the cannon pinion properly. The cannon pinions are all the same size on the hand fitting whatever the length of the pinion. But you have to make sure that the hour hand does not touch the seconds hand. If the dial has been re-lumed then it is a bit more difficult as the second hand now has to clear the raised lume leaving less clearance for the hour hand.

On the Fiddy the second hand is much smaller so the hour hand clears it no problem. Then the minute hand (filed down to .44mm) or Davidsens hand will pop straight on. The Lume on his hands has very little excess under the hand so there is almost plenty of clearance between it and the hour hand - recessed pin gone!!!

Hi Finepics,

I just reread your post again. What I wanted to know is, since I am sending mine to Zigs for service and these installs. By buying Davidsen's 127 gold hands (without cap), is there any modification that Zigs would have to do with any of the hands, or would it just go on to the cannon pinion with no mod at all from him. Is that the same for the seconds hand as well. If you can clarify once more, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Woody

Hi finpics,

I do agree with your that usig my thin hour and min hands it is possible to eliminate the recessed cannon

pin tremandously.But pls bear in mind that the thickness of the dial is a very major factor too.If the fiddy dial

is very thick say more than 1mm /1.05mm thick.The recessed aera still exists.But the aera is so small that

it may not be notice visably.Can only notcie using a manify glass.

Pls note that hour and min hands could be thin normal hands.

small sub dial handss must be high collared to be able to sit on the thick dial.You have

mentioend this many times.jsut to remind other maemners of this.

hi woddy,if you are sending your watch to have this install by The Zigmeister,i would recommaned you

to order fiddy hands without cap but all hands are high collared.

I believe The Zigmeister will layer down the hand tube of hour and min size accordinly. :p

I have modified and installed dozens of the longer cannon and hour wheels on all models of PAM's.

The hand tubes are long for one reason only, they have to be to allow the hands to clear the dial and seconds hand, and each other.

Here is a typical cannon and hour wheel height above the dial face on a sandwich dial, in this example this is a Black Seal.

12904-3975.jpg

12904-3976.jpg

Here's another view, in this one you can see that the minute hand is almost touching the hour one... the minute hand is almost touching the hour hand, but the tube is 0.80mm long....

If you want to eliminate the recessed pin issue, you have to reduce the height of the tube from 0.80mm to 0.45mm, basically in half. Yet as you can see here, the hand is almost touching the other one...if you reduce the tube depth in half, you won't be able to secure it to the cannon pin post...

12904-3977.jpg

If you look at this hand from above, you can see the recessed pin problem.

12904-3978.jpg

I have ordered hands and dials from Daviesen as I think they are excellent products, my concern is that I am getting requests to install these hands or cut down the existing ones to correct the recessed pin issue, without installing the longer cannon and hour wheels.

Pictures explain the issue better than words, here is a sandwich dial with short cannon and hour wheels.

12904-3975.jpg

12904-3980.jpg

12904-3981.jpg

Here is the same dial with the longer cannon and hour wheel and the shortened hands

12904-3982.jpg

12904-3983.jpg

12904-3984.jpg

You can see clearly in the pictures the before and after, I think we need to see the same before and after of the cutting down the hand, or installation of the Davidsen hands.

If there was no reason to install the longer cannon and hour wheels, I would not do it. I can help more customers if all I have to do is cut the hands down...but I have a hard time accepting this as a solution, when you can see above the issues and problems.

Clarification is appreciated...with pictures please...

RG

Hi Rob,

Like I said before, I will wait until you get a hold of David's hands, and then get ready for mine to be sent in. Would love to see how your review goes after you received the hands. David, hope you don't mind that I wait for Zig's further review on this. Have a good week everyone....

Guys, sorry if I have caused confusion on this - all I can say is that I have done 2 fiddys now without the need to change the pin, and my PVD project with Davidsens dial is also without a pin change and his dial is thicker than a standard 111 type dial by .2mm. The only issue I found was to make sure there is no excess lume under the hands as the clearances are tight but it does work. The 183 dial is a lot thicker than the others at 1.25 so the fix will not work on this one.