When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO - AR mod or not?

andyc2

I've got a RG RC ROO secs @ 12 winging its way to me, and it's going straight to Francisco when it arrives for the movement upgrade, service and a lume.

Question is - do I get the AR done? I know the gen doesn't have any AR, but there are many pics on this forum of watches that have been modded in this way and they look impressive.

Dilemma.....

• Like 1

I've got a RG RC ROO secs @ 12 winging its way to me, and it's going straight to Francisco when it arrives for the movement upgrade, service and a lume.

Question is - do I get the AR done? I know the gen doesn't have any AR, but there are many pics on this forum of watches that have been modded in this way and they look impressive.

Dilemma.....

Hi, you don't need to think too much..just GO FOR IT!!! Take a look of my APs, both with double AR (Volcano with Chief's AR and Grey Themes with Uwe's AR):

post-6192-0-74246900-1295972600.jpg

Different crystals have different reflections. The MBW has far less reflection than the sec@12 and I suspect that is the case with the Gen as well.

Hence the comparison to the Gen is not completely relevant.

I have had my Black Themes done. It has been a very good investment, transforming a rep looking good into a luxury watch. - Which is how it should be.

The AR actually brings out the dial and Make the watch more gen look as the rep crystal is nowhere near the gen crystal quality...Just make sure you don't use intrusive colored AR...

Here is my RC with very light yellowgreenish AR in daylight...

Exactly!! you have made an excellent point. Crystal not treated with AR gives a significant light reflection.

To have a more "gen look" I suggest you to go with Uwe's double AR (in EU zone) because his AR has a little light reflection just like the gen. Chief's AR will not give you any reflection (is like the watch doesn't have a crystal installed). In this picture you can see the differences:

post-6192-0-87664200-1296055897.jpg

Well, many thanks for all of the helpful and constructive comments.

When my new baby arrives, it is going to Uwe for his double AR / cyclops / re-lume work, and then to Domi for the secs at 12 movement upgrade and a full service.

(I'm assuming it would be best doing the work in that sequence? Comments appreciated).

It's going to add a significant amount of money to the cost of the watch, but hopefully it will be worth it!

Maybe I should start saving up and begin thinking about a nice black hornback strap from AP Bands as well..................

• 2 years later...

Dilemma.....

Just reading this as I am back on the boards.. Im curious what did you decide? and who did the work? 

tough decision, but one i made with both of my roo's and am very happy. see below my two cheif ar'd versions ...

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

Sir, it has been a very long time it is so nice to see you still here, these pics are amazing. After my little hiatus I am back and wanting to do just this with both these watches. I love that you got the white face SS RC, it looks incredible. I had the black dial but it didn't make it this long. I want to get the white face and service it like this... lume and AR? I have some movement issues with my watches from way back when and it's time to fix them and get some new hardware. I would love to discuss further the great work that you had done. Hope all is well, again, happy to see you still here a few guys from those early days aren't around.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't appreciate AR until I had it done on my Don Ramon. Seemed like a waste of time and money, but I figured that the "experts" have more experience and are gungho about it for a reason. So while it was at Vac's anyway, I took the leap of faith. The AR adds a difficult to quantify quality to it. The dial seems to pop out more, and the watch looks more gen-like. Now aim in the process of having each of my APs AR'd. They just look better, sharper. Try one and see how you like it. I'm happy that I did!

• 3 weeks later...

How can i get in touch with you Francisco?

He aint doing work anymore mate...

If its AR for an AP you are after then wait out for Ryans AR cystal run for APs it almost perfected colourless...shouldnt be long mate.. he has done a few alreadyt that look very good but he wanyts better :)

AP gens dont have AR ...its all about the crytsal quality... not AR mate... we just need to do it because rep crystals are flawed :)