When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT-Master 6542

chrgod

It's a PT donor watch with an ImGod dial, NDT bezel and insert and Clark 25-116 crystal.

It's not for sale (I am putting it together for a great member at another forum) :)

6542Rob-5-2.jpg

are those dials still available?

and is the PT case a good base? or should one go with one of the more expensive ones (Yuki, etc.)?

because this is definitely one of my favourite watches ever! :)

(looks great by the way! :thumbsupsmileyanim: )

cheers, tim

I am not an expert, but IMO the Yuki case is just as wok-ish as the PT, but a lot more money and you can use the movement, DW, hands and great bracelet of the PT.

I think InGod still has the dial (I already bought two from him).

I know some people say that lug holes are out of place on the PT, but I don't think it's that bad:

6542Rob-2-2.jpg

im here too. :). just dont post much. i have nothing to add on the experts forum!

looking forward to receiving this piece, sir. its looking awesome so far.

if you havent dealt with donerix yet, you are missing out. highest recommendation possible...

im here too. :). just dont post much. i have nothing to add on the experts forum!

looking forward to receiving this piece, sir. its looking awesome so far.

if you havent dealt with donerix yet, you are missing out. highest recommendation possible...

Well you're one lucky fella!

I aged the NDT bezel (to bring out the brass) and I took down the highest part of the insert (it's a bit too high compared to gen pics), still need to round of the edge where it drops off, but it is easy to sand and polish.

I didn't touch the ImGod dial, it was perfect IMO, but I aged the hands to match the gilt dial.

I aged the NDT bezel (to bring out the brass) and I took down the highest part of the insert (it's a bit too high compared to gen pics), still need to round of the edge where it drops off, but it is easy to sand and polish.

I didn't touch the ImGod dial, it was perfect IMO, but I aged the hands to match the gilt dial.

Simply awesome work, E!:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Man, if I didn't respect the work of the master modders on here so much I would absolutely be pumping you for exact details on how to do all the steps so I could replicate for myself. But I understand that a person also has the right to safeguard his techniques. Awesome work anyway Don. Do you think you could get roughly the same results using just the PT stock watch?

bones:

Honestly I think the bezel and dial are what makes the big difference. I know that these two items cost twice as much as the base watch, but after wearing this baby for a few days I hate to say this: it's worth spending the money (until they come up with a better version (and I wouldn't hold my breath for that)...

Wow! Reducing the rehaut makes a big difference. I've actually been working with PBDad in making the 6542. But the project has been halted for almost 6 months due to Silix not making the ROLS176 case in 38mm anymore. But recently, I contacted Jee and he said that there's a case that is 38-39mm, no crownguard and coin bezel with a smaller rehaut. I'm going to check out the ROL245 to see if it does indeed work. Does anyone know if the PT/ImGod combo would be the same as the Silix case with a NDT dial? Would love to finish this project!

Boy donerix, now you have me going again! Since I had the white 6542 serviced, it's been just sitting in the watch box. I've thought of trying the Josh 1655 case and removing the cg's, installing a bezel- that NDT one would work I would think, and going that route. But I really like your results- looks a lot like my grail go by watch

imgCAIZFXR9.jpg

I really like what you did with the rehaut- no more wok!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to thread-crap guys, but does anyone know whether swapping the datewheel with one from a turn-o-graph is OK (the roulette one with white background), as my white 6542 apparently comes with its odd days red instead of even, unlike donerix's gilt dial stock version... :p

Sent from my SGS II

Boy donerix, now you have me going again! Since I had the white 6542 serviced, it's been just sitting in the watch box. I've thought of trying the Josh 1655 case and removing the cg's, installing a bezel- that NDT one would work I would think, and going that route. But I really like your results- looks a lot like my grail go by watch

imgCAIZFXR9.jpg

I really like what you did with the rehaut- no more wok!

Not that far off:

6542-CrocPF2-2.jpg

6542CrocPF4-2.jpg

And the 6542 craze continues: Alone at home and searching for stuff on ebay I came across this gen 6542 mid case:

6542gencase.jpg

I just bid thinking that somebody is gonna bid a lot more anyway, but ended up winning the auction, so now I am stuck with a Franken project that will probably bankrupt me.

Where to get a case back? And the one correct crown I saw was almost $400 ............... arghhhh.