When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No crown guard GMT coke. Progress pics

P4GTR

Any updates/pics have been transposed into this initial post for ease of viewing

Recently got this inexpensive GMTII from Speedbird here on RWG. This particular version had the same case as the submariner, so the crown guard and crown were way off for a GMT. The bezel was free spinning, the insert had fallen out, it was a bit of a mess (which I knew going in, not speedbirds fault.). I wasn't sure what to do with it at first. I wound up removing the crown guards, aging the insert, I installed a new spring and pellet to fix the bezel, and here it is. I don't expect anyone's jaw to drop, I am not trying to replicate a 6542, just wanted to see where I could take it, and here are the results so far.

Case shaping. Removed stem & tube, plugged hole then spent lots of time grinding away with the dremel, sanding and polishing.

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

still not straight..

IMG_6050.jpg

more grinding

IMG_6051.jpg

better

IMG_6052.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

tube back in

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

mock up, lets have a look..

IMG_6062.jpg

Bezel fixed, insert sanded down & faded using oven cleaner (which has lye in it). Spray a little on a rag and wipe the insert, watching carefully, it works rather quickly. Wear gloves, don't get oven cleaner on your skin. This is how she stands as of now.

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_6068.jpg

Update: Case aging I put the case and bracelet links in a tupperware along with a few lbs. of change, a few slices of some coarse sand paper, a couple of bolts, and shook it around for a while. Took quite a bit of abuse, and resulted in very little aging of the case! The bezel insert didn't even get scratched! :lol:. This is one brute of a case, i'm telling you! It looks like superficial/artificial scratching. Maybe it was the sandpaper slices. I'll buff it a little, then back to the hopper for more abuse. Rocks sound good for next time.

IMG_6094.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

Update: hand & hour marker patina

Patina added to hour markers and hands. Mixed a combo of flat white, yellow, interior tan, and thinner in unequal parts until I liked the color results on a test dial, then I moved onto the GMT. Here's the result.

It's 4:30 AM here.. Forgive the pictures, more to come soon.

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

The following day...

Went over the dial again for imperfections. Shook the case/bracelet up again in the tupperware. Better pics. It's raining here in Tampa, so lighting is not optimum.

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

Thanks all. Not sure what to do next, if anything. It was fun to test my skills without jeopardizing any expensive parts. Suggestions? It's just a 21j, so not much I can do. Not willing to invest much into it. Crown looks a little big, suggestions?

Thanks all. Not sure what to do next, if anything. It was fun to test my skills without jeopardizing any expensive parts. Suggestions? It's just a 21j, so not much I can do. Not willing to invest much into it. Crown looks a little big, suggestions?

Sell it to me.......:thumbsupsmileyanim: then I'll send you another case to hone your skills! Just let me know, Buddy!

Great work if I may add! F-

Holy crap! You got a helluva lot more motivation than I, my friend. :thumbsupsmileyanim: That is a butt-load of sanding! I don't think I would have touched it without running it through the mill! Actually, I had thought of pruning the CGs off one of my cheapo Subs but got rid of all of 'em before I had a chance.

Holy crap! You got a helluva lot more motivation than I, my friend. :thumbsupsmileyanim: That is a butt-load of sanding! I don't think I would have touched it without running it through the mill! Actually, I had thought of pruning the CGs off one of my cheapo Subs but got rid of all of 'em before I had a chance.

I went through two dremel battery chargings for this! My first step was to pull the tube and take a cutting wheel to the crown guards and get them as low as possible. The steel on this particular case is super hard! Lots of hand sanding at the end to blend it back to shape.

A little update: I put the case and bracelet links in a tupperware along with a few lbs. of change, a few slices of some coarse sand paper, a couple of bolts, and shook it around for a while. Took quite a bit of abuse, and resulted in very little aging of the case! The bezel insert didn't even get scratched! :lol:. This is one brute of a case, i'm telling you! It looks like superficial/artificial scratching. Maybe it was the sandpaper slices. I'll buff it a little, then back to the hopper for more abuse. Rocks sound good for next time.

IMG_6094.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

So now i'm a little disappointed there are no lug holes on this case. I'm thinking about adding some patina to the hour markers and hands, currently dredging through searches for some ideas on how to get this done. I suppose an older style bracelet with a correct clasp would be cool. I know it comes down to being a fantasy piece, and probably bores the [censored] out of you all, but I can't help that I've taken a liking to it! :wub:

Great work! good to see members (custom) building there watches just to show that this hobbie is not just replicating an exact vintage peice

i can appreciate and exact replica and a custom built watch if you have some parts lying in a draw and can make up a watch then why not

i have just reshaped an acylic crystal on my out of the box red sub which had a tophat crystal with cyclope that was out of line because of this the watch was put in a draw and never got any wrist time until i decided to remove the cyclope and reshape my crystal to look like a tropic 19 (my favorite type) it came out great and although this will be considered a fantasy watch i like it! aero!

Edited by aeromatic

Inspiring. I was thinking of building a FAT Lady, but might do a similar one-off.

So often we go for detailed replication, when something like this actually has more presence and character. I dare say that watch has a soul.

Fantasy is good. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Patina added to hour markers and hands. Mixed a combo of flat white, yellow, interior tan, and thinner in unequal parts until I liked the color results on a test dial, then I moved onto the GMT. Here's the result.

It's 4:30 AM here.. Forgive the pictures, more to come soon.

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

Thanks everyone. Updated the initial post, will keep any future updates/pics added to the original post moving forward.

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

Sell it to me.......:thumbsupsmileyanim: then I'll send you another case to hone your skills! Just let me know, Buddy!

Great work if I may add! F-

Most people here would probably pay not to have to wear it in public! :lol:

Heck, I wear mine in public, who gives a darn!

P1010131.jpg

You got to remember 99.99% of the people could care less.

I think we're comparing apples to oranges! :lol: Thats quite a GMT, any information/thread on the build? I'm interested to know more. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just begging for a folded link Oyster IMOP. ;)

Completely agree. Anyone have some suggestions which trusted rock to look under?

I think i'm about done with this build after I sort a permanent bracelet. It's been fun, however I need to be reasonable about how much time/money im willing to spend on it.