When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Mont Blanc Pens

cib0rgman

Hi,

I am looking for a mont blanc replica pen. I bought some back in 2007, they were o.k, but the quality was really bad. for example they were not made with resin. instead was some kind very think layer of some plastic material wrapped around that chips away easily.

any good sources out there.

thanks

I'm not very well versed on MB rep pens... Are there any out there that accept genuine MB refills?

I just saw their prices on Amazon, from 200 to 300 seems to get you a brand new one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amont+blanc+pen&keywords=mont+blanc+pen&ie=UTF8&qid=1296659760

That's not so bad!

Edited by Kal Vilmer

Trevor used to (may still) give a free pen with watch purchase and I think they were also for sale. I have three Mont Blanc reps that seem (at least to me) to be good quality. I have a retractable ball-point, roller-ball, and fountain. The refills are apparently "rep" Mont Blanc as well as I couldn't see a rep having a gen refill!

These are the pens I got from Trevor as freebies about a year ago. He had other styles but not the "Classic/Vintage" style so I thought these were prettu cool. The little "snowflake" floats in the clear end...

post-24124-0-55498300-1296673659.jpg

post-24124-0-76434500-1296673666.jpg

post-24124-0-75028600-1296673676.jpg

post-24124-0-38692900-1296673688.jpg

I'm not very well versed on MB rep pens... Are there any out there that accept genuine MB refills?

they do accept genuine refill. but the issue is the quality. you can scratch the surface of the pen with a nail and get to the metal core easily. other pen are made with some kind of plastic resin and the coating should be thick to prevent scratches from showing the metal core.

I have to recomend Naarika also but if you want somthing special then i can heartily recoment the Fountain Pen Emporium

My mum asked me what i would want for my 40th bithday, something special i could keep, a watch was out as i have so many and she does not have that much money, so i found a nice waterman from 1935 and she drove (only lives 30 min away) out there and bought it for me, it is absolutly stunning, real history and in its original service box. The bussines is ran by an old guy in his 70s who knows his stuff.

I know Josh sells rep pens as well. They are listed on his main page.

Josh spends a lot of time preventing people from "stealing" his inventory photographs, so I always have to work a bit extra to help people buy from him. I can't paste the photo of the pen here due to his "security" but here's a link. You have to double click it, due to his "security" as well.

Mont Blanc Ingrid Bergman rollerball with case and papers

they do accept genuine refill. but the issue is the quality. you can scratch the surface of the pen with a nail and get to the metal core easily. other pen are made with some kind of plastic resin and the coating should be thick to prevent scratches from showing the metal core.

I'll be honest - I wasn't that impressed with the gen quality either. I have a gen Meisterstruck Grande version and the resin cap cracked while being in my work bag. $220 to replace a friggin cap - roughly 2/3 the cost of a brand-new pen. They wouldn't replace it under warranty b/c they stated that I shouldn't have kept it in my bag. I then asked her, where should I have kept it?, up my ( ! ) - would it have been covered then?

Needless to say, I still don't have a cap on the pen and can't figure out why...:g:

You can certainly buy a $200-$300 gen Mont Blanc pen so I probably wouldn't buy a rep at that level as stated by a bunch of others allready. However, there are also those that sell for over a grand such as the Hemingway. Check out the link here from Trusty Time, not sure if they are a trusted dealer here but they are on RWI. I haven't bought from these guys but I have been thinking about picking one of these up myself. They are shown with a genuine refill in the pictures but I would still ask the question before ordering. If you order please let me now what you think of the quality.

Sorry, I tried to add the link but since I don't have enough posts it will not let me, anyways the site is "YourTrustyTime". Add www and .com and you're good to go. I will also try to PM you with the link, not sure if I'll be able to that either.

Guys, I have been collecting vintage fountain pens for 25+ years. I probably have 200 or more. My primary focus is a long gone brand made in Toledo Ohio, name Conklin. They were endorsed by Mark Twain!! What i like about them are the incredibly flexible nibs, which seemed to be readily available on lots of older pens, but completely non-existant on modern pens. I've probably had over 100 modern pens, some costing several hundred dollars including a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149, which I bought new in 1973 for 50.00 USD! It's now 750.00 USD. I found it to be one of the worst writing pens i have owned. It's nib was a stiff as a board, and it skipped like crazy. I sent it back to Mont Blanc twice and they never fixed the skipping. I sold it a few years ago for 300.00 USD and felt like I made a killing! Like watches, vintage is where its happening!!!

As to Replicas, I would suspect that they are of very poor quality when it comes to the nibs, which is the heart and soul of a fountain pen. Most of the really good nibs are 14k gold and palladium. Cheaper nibs are steel. You aren't going to find a nice 14k nib on a 15 dollar pen, because quality nibs cost more than that to produce. If you want a nice fountain pen, one that sucks ink from a bottle, go to a vintage pen store, and find a nice vintage. There are lots of them around, fully restored for less than 100 USD. If you enjoy writing, do yourself a favor and buy one with a flexible nib, medium or broad width. Amazing what it feels like in your hand!

As to Replicas, I would suspect that they are of very poor quality when it comes to the nibs, which is the heart and soul of a fountain pen. Most of the really good nibs are 14k gold and palladium. Cheaper nibs are steel. You aren't going to find a nice 14k nib on a 15 dollar pen, because quality nibs cost more than that to produce. If you want a nice fountain pen, one that sucks ink from a bottle, go to a vintage pen store, and find a nice vintage. There are lots of them around, fully restored for less than 100 USD. If you enjoy writing, do yourself a favor and buy one with a flexible nib, medium or broad width. Amazing what it feels like in your hand!

Just as a side note; if I bought a replica pen for it's looks/design, I'd certainly be purchasing a roller ball, not a fountain pen.

I've never seen any higher quality MB's than what we have available from our dealers here. Even if these are the best around, I don't think they are very good.

but the issue is the quality. you can scratch the surface of the pen with a nail and get to the metal core easily.

I love Narikaa, but unfortunately I have had this problem with the enamel chipping on the black MB's. I dont think it can be avoided with the black painted metal. I got one from him that is plain metal, and it has held up much better.

Gen refills are not necessary, I have Parker G7 gel ink refill in it now. You can sand the pen hole opening open a little if need be, or even take down the refill tip a little.. Refills are not a problem.

post-6714-0-79149800-1296707657.jpg

post-6714-0-51758700-1296707668.jpg

+1 Panerai153

eh, personally for fountain pens, I would not recommend replica pens, I stick to good genuine models and in my opinion, "luxury" brands like Mont Blanc are way overrated. There are very excellent pens made by Lamy, Pelikan, Auora, Pilot which all make very nice and affordable (40-100 dollar range) fountain pens. I personally use a $25 Lamy Safari and it writes wonderfully. Just a little tangent but I think its important to note than for fountian pens, replica's dont make very good substitutes.

Edited by rychastings