When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 5512 for only 1700

usmctowgnr

I just found a Rolex 5512 for sale for only 1700. The owner says it is still available and I am waiting on some better pics. I am afraid to have him take it somewhere to get it verified on the off chance that whoever is performing the inspection may try and steal the sale. I asked for pic of movement, dial, engravings between lugs. Is there any other pics that I should ask for to make a decision without him taking it somewhere. I will post the better pics when I get them. Sucks becauce I just dumped a good amount of money in parst for me 1675 build and I may have to sell them off to fund this purchase.

5512.jpg

If you can validate it has a Gen Movement that is working ~good, @ $1700 it might be worth the gamble that it is a mash-up. Looking at that TINY picture the crown and CGs look a little suspect. Still, if gen movement and dial, the price might be right.

Here are some more pics that the seller just sent me. She claims that the watch is her fathers and she is not comfortable removing the bracelet or caseback. She also says that the watch does come with the original box and paperwork. She is suggesting we use a payment and shipping company called freightco. Is anyone familiar with this sercvice as I do not know how it functions.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

I asked her to send a pic with todays date on a piece of paper shown with watch.

Nice looking dial and the rivet bracelet looks awesome!! If it's conus it might be worth investigating. However you might want to look into some sort of escrow service for a little protection. Otherwise, for that kind of deal, it might even be worth a plane ticket!

Looks genuine to me.

But remember: Anyone can steal pictures of genuine watches and claim they have them. Pictures prove nothing. How do you know he actually HAS the watch?

Ask him to send a picture that has the watch & written date on paper.

Craigslist is very shady place. Of course there might be good sellers too but it has a scary reputation. And that price is a bit too good to be true. And you know what they say about this... when it sounds too good... etc.

Guest jsuperman17

crap im in ny!!! i highly doubt it will be the watch in the picture... but then again you never know... let me know how it turns out.. ill jump on this deal myself..

What a deal! Too bad I'm not anywhere near NY... LOL...

Ermm... on 2nd looks why does the bezel insert on the original pic look different from the other clearer pics.... notice the worn area between '20' & '30'....and that crown too, looks much fatter on the original pic...hmmm....

What a deal! Too bad I'm not anywhere near NY... LOL...

Ermm... on 2nd looks why does the bezel insert on the original pic look different from the other clearer pics.... notice the worn area between '20' & '30'....and that crown too, looks much fatter on the original pic...hmmm....

+1 doesn't quite match

I had asked for a picture with the date written on a piece of paper like was suggested and the email correspondence ended. I am sure this is a scam. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. Oh and the marks on the bezel should be able to be seen in the pic of it in the box. I am thinking two different watches.

Scam... The watch in the first pic, is not the same. The crowns are totally different even from that tiny photo.

If they 1.) can not produce a photo of the watch on TODAY'S Newspaper from their locale and 2.) be willing to have a local person inspect it on your behalf *(I am sure there are forum members willing to help act as your proxy/middle man).

Also, what size were the photos they sent you? Any modern digital camera is going to have much larger resolution and exif data. If they sent you those sized photos they are web rips. Chances are they could not produce the full resolution photos.

:thumbdown:

Dude, this ia an obvious scam from moment one. Odds are that the best case you end up with a fake and if you do the face to face bit you get mugged for the cash. Craig's list is a harbor for con artists and this guy is an obvious amateur. Do yourself a favor, IF you want a genuine just do your due diligence and watch TZ/WUS/VRF/TRF and be PATIENT. You'll find one eventually that will work for you. NOBODY sells a Rolex for substantially UNDER market unless they're a helluva' friend to the seller. They are simply WAY to EASY to sell as there are WAY too many buyers itching to purchase.

Edited by OI812