When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Understated and Basic: Project 1016 Wrap Up

When one thinks Rolex, the first words that come to mind aren't usually 'basic', or 'understated'... That is, unless you're thinking about a 1016 Explorer! laugh.gif

I had oft times looked at these small, simple Oysters with nothing more than a passing glance. It wasn't until I saw a series of 1016 projects by LHOOQ that caused me to stop for a moment and take a second look. After seeing what LHOOQ had accomplished with his builds, I felt compelled to perhaps give one of these little darlings some consideration. And when a gen dial turned up, it was as though all was meant to be. And so it was...

The recipe list:

-Genuine 1016 dial
-Genuine 1570 movement (serviced by Zigmeister and thanks to Panerai153 for the great deal; another item where the stars were aligned)
-Genuine hands (courtesy of Ronin)
-Genuine 1601 case
-Custom bezel machined by jmb (with specs by LHOOQ; thanks gents!)
-Genuine 25-22 (thanks, K)
-Genuine 24-600 (thanks, K)
-Genuine 24-602 (thanks, K))
-Genuine 2mm spring bars
-Case drilled for 2mm spring bars

Some piccys...

And oddly enough, a watch with such a not-so-ostentatious image has managed to stand out on the wrist. Just today, while picking up a prescription, the pharmacy guy took notice of it and inquired. I never get comments or even a slight bit of notice on anything I ever wear; we're talking the 5514, 6265, or even the 16520 for that matter. Of all watches, the 1016 gets noticed smile.gif

Made me chuckle...

smile.gif

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the kind words, one and all.

This project was sort of on a whim; when the dial turned up, I knew it was on. And then all the other bits just sort of fell into place. Serendipity to be sure.

The case wears nicely and is very balanced on the wrist. I do agree with a comment made by LHOOQ in that it has the look and feel of being slightly larger than it's actual physical measurements might suggest.

And this is definitely one of those 'less is more' kinds of pieces. Simple austerity. It is also a bit different than the common seen Submariner, so this is a nice change and variation for me. A little diversification never hurts :)

No, go to bed......sheesh man, do you ever sleep? :blink:

;)

I don't sleep as much as I'd like... But only because there's so much to do these days :(

R: I'm curious... How are you wearing this? Did you get the 78360 like you planned?

And to echo J's comment above, I'm honored to have contributed to this perfect build, and enjoyed our discussions immensely.

I think it's no longer possible, but I would've loved a group shot with your 5500 and 14270 Explorers! :v:

I may be seeing something that is not there, but are you sure the hands are gen?

Either way, a stunner of a watch, Ubi. :wub::good:

ROFL... I see what I need to see. But am dying to hear what your insight is on this. I know my answer... But let's hear your thoughts :)

If you're going to call something not gen, let's hear some insight to back it up.

My wife bears the same..but not this modded!
Wholy cow! If you EVER decide to sell i want to be first in line!!
clapping.gifclapping.gif

When one thinks Rolex, the first words that come to mind aren't usually 'basic', or 'understated'... That is, unless you're thinking about a 1016 Explorer! laugh.gif

I had oft times looked at these small, simple Oysters with nothing more than a passing glance. It wasn't until I saw a series of 1016 projects by LHOOQ that caused me to stop for a moment and take a second look. After seeing what LHOOQ had accomplished with his builds, I felt compelled to perhaps give one of these little darlings some consideration. And when a gen dial turned up, it was as though all was meant to be. And so it was...

The recipe list:

-Genuine 1016 dial
-Genuine 1570 movement (serviced by Zigmeister and thanks to Panerai153 for the great deal; another item where the stars were aligned)
-Genuine hands (courtesy of Ronin)
-Genuine 1601 case
-Custom bezel machined by jmb (with specs by LHOOQ; thanks gents!)
-Genuine 25-22 (thanks, K)
-Genuine 24-600 (thanks, K)
-Genuine 24-602 (thanks, K))
-Genuine 2mm spring bars
-Case drilled for 2mm spring bars

Some piccys...

And oddly enough, a watch with such a not-so-ostentatious image has managed to stand out on the wrist. Just today, while picking up a prescription, the pharmacy guy took notice of it and inquired. I never get comments or even a slight bit of notice on anything I ever wear; we're talking the 5514, 6265, or even the 16520 for that matter. Of all watches, the 1016 gets noticed smile.gif

Made me chuckle...

smile.gif

Thanks for looking!

//ubi