When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Understated and Basic: Project 1016 Wrap Up

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a thread the other day about franken "grades" and this ties in nicely. I think we can throw out super-franken, ultra-franken, and all the other xxxx-franken terms people use to hype their "best frankens" and just refer to a franken that can get no better as an "Ubi-Franken". :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ubi,

I really admire your style, precision and eye for detail; another beautiful build. This model has always appealed to me but I am afraid that the size of the case would wear a bit small for my taste.

PS: Are these collection photos a possible prequel to a thinning of the herd?

As an aside, I think this post highlights what a good rep the 3719 is. Even ubi doesn't feel the need to mod or Franken-ize

It is a great watch! But I do have plans for it... Someday :) None the less it's certainly a great piece as-is!

Thanks for the pictures Ubi. First five I have seen but the last five are new to me (note: must visit other sub forums too :rolleyes: )

You have very handsome collection. Great mixture of builds and gen - classics and comtemporary

Thank you for the kind comments! I guess it's no secret that the bulk f my time is spent in the Rolex sub forum :) The non-Rolex pieces are all a result of those days where I get the urge to try something new. Seems I tend to wander off from Rolex for a while to adventure into a different brand or offering. In the end, I always come back to Rolex!

I remember a thread the other day about franken "grades" and this ties in nicely. I think we can throw out super-franken, ultra-franken, and all the other xxxx-franken terms people use to hype their "best frankens" and just refer to a franken that can get no better as an "Ubi-Franken". :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think my anti-tier stance on different franken-watch grades is more of a result of not feeling the need to try and pump up my builds as something more special or more spectacular than someone else's build. I respect the time and effort that others have put into their watches and I think it's that genuine effort that makes every build special. It's not the watch, per se... It's the love that goes into it :)

Ubi,

I really admire your style, precision and eye for detail; another beautiful build. This model has always appealed to me but I am afraid that the size of the case would wear a bit small for my taste.

PS: Are these collection photos a possible prequel to a thinning of the herd?

Thanks for the kind word, B. You know, I thought the 1016 would be a bit too small for my liking as well, but I gave it a try anyways. I am delighted to discover that it wears great, despite being a mere 36mm in diameter. It's got good presence on the wrist, and it's very comfortable. Plus, it's good to have some versatility in the watch box.

And no... No prequel to thinning the collection out at this time. They will all likely be staying put :)

Cheers!

//ubi

Rather interesting... After spending the last few days with the Explorer on my right wrist, I've come to an odd and interesting epiphany; the 1016 could very well be one of those watches that I could live with daily and go without wanting anything more.

It’s been a very easy watch for me to fall in love with :wub:

Rather interesting... After spending the last few days with the Explorer on my right wrist, I've come to an odd and interesting epiphany; the 1016 could very well be one of those watches that I could live with daily and go without wanting anything more.

Ah... The sweet feeling of an obsession validated! :hands:

To me, the 1016 is one of the perfect watch designs of the last century. Unfortunately, I do like to time things, so I'll always need a chronograph nearby!

• 5 months later...

Looks good. Very good. The g10 strap I think suits it better than an oyster one.

Great watch and great collection Ubi. Thanks for sharing. Now, about those 1570 movements... Where are you sourcing from? They seem to be ridiculously expensive on fleabay. I would love to get my hands on a decently priced 1030(though you guys covered how non-practical these are for repair and parts) for the Tudor sub. The gen hands look great.

E

Looks good. Very good. The g10 strap I think suits it better than an oyster one.

Great watch and great collection Ubi. Thanks for sharing. Now, about those 1570 movements... Where are you sourcing from? They seem to be ridiculously expensive on fleabay. I would love to get my hands on a decently priced 1030(though you guys covered how non-practical these are for repair and parts) for the Tudor sub. The gen hands look great.

E

You know, the G10 really does suit the 1016 nicely! It definitely makes for more of a utilitarian feel. I'll probably play around with some other bracelet types on this one, but for now the Corvus I currently have fitted really does fit the watch best (I think).

As for movements... I've managed to pick up a few at really good prices and a few at current market prices. It all just kind of depends on being at the right place at the right time, and acting quickly when those opportunities present themselves. The really, really good deals tend to get snapped up right away, but I've had a few lucky occurrences where a few of those deals just fell onto my lap :)

Matching lume and a long-neck hour? That's amazing, and gorgeous! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, sir. The new hands have really changed the look and feel of the watch. Amazing how something so subtle can have that kind of impact :)

Cheers and best,

//ubi

Hmmmm... Aftermarket hands to fit gen Rolex movements (i.e. 15xx, etc)?

That's a good question... Most aftermarket hands out there are just not to the same quality/level as genuine hands. There's usually some small details that aren't quite there (shapes, lengths, etc), but more importantly the fit and finish is sometimes the bigger problem.

If you are building a project piece that includes a genuine dial and genuine movement, it's worth it to stretch a bit further for genuine hands wink.gif

Hands are like one of those finishing touch kind of parts... They do make a difference, in my opinion wink.gif