When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Cable Service do you have?

Alright guys,

What are our opinions on cable service? I used to have Time Warner and switched to AT&T U-verse (which theoretically is great, until it's not and then it's a b#tch to get fixed). Now, I'm thinking of switching up. AT&T is definitely hard to beat price-wise. We have a great selection of cables, DVR throughout the house and 6MBPS high speed internet for $85/month. Time Warner with comparable packaging would be $112/month (unless, of course, I talk to them on the phone and can get it whittled down from that by using the old comparison shopping technique). I do wonder how people like direct tv? I've heard good things from friends, but if we went with direct tv we'd be on our own a la carte style for internet, and as we all know you have to do the "bundling" crap with any of these services to get a decent price on internet. Any thoughts or opinions guys?

Last week i downgraded my Comcast/XFinity cable internet from 12 mbps to 1.5 mbps down

saved a few bucks and there's no discernible loss in regular browsing performance, go figure :D

In fact the savings helps to pay for my HSPDA on my cellphone which tops out around 5 mbps, haha

Other than that, I pay $55 for cable TV that includes free HD-DVR and HBO and all channels except Starz & Showtime

p.s.

am going to ditch cable for Dish soon though owing to programming choices

Edited by chronoluvvv

Just yesterday I switched from DirectTV to Comcast for phone, internet and the Full Monty, everything Xfinity TV/bundle. The bundled price is about $24.00/month less then Direct and the other 2 services on AT&T. I was with direct for 6 years and they just went up and up and up until they really [censored] me off. At least with Comcast it is month to month and if it doesn't pan out we can leave any time we want. Stupid Direct and Dish have been doing the 2 year requirement deals and they charge for every little thing that is added on. The only real thing to do is to keep changing around and get the program deals with each service. The "add to income stream" crap that they all perpetrate is absolutely maddening and predatory. As I am experiencing it the Comcast HD is as good as the Direct Satellite signal so that one fear is solved. The other issue is that Comcast is really pushing the customer satisfaction issue and that really appeals to me after my recent DirectTV experiences, so we shall see. However the Comcast internet service at 20MBPS is absolutely screaming compared to our AT&T experience, and digital phone service has some major cool features as well.

Rogerwine

AT&T U-verse and love it. Have not had one issue in the 2+ years I have had it. Have my cell service with AT&T as well. Love how I can set up my DVR through my phone and then watch what I DVR'd on my phone! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I do not think you can watch your DVR on your phone at least not yet.

I just read an interesting bit on why our cable Tv bills are as high as they are

Turns out the sports networks are in bed with Time Warner (or your local variant) and those few ESPNs you get (and NEVER watch in my particular case) contribute to a good 20-25% of your bill

Really wish they could sell their channels a la carte.

To be honest, all i need is News, History, Science and NatGeo with a little pr0n on the side :D