When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first rep is coming apart!

Kal Vilmer

Hi guys!I recently took delivey of my first rep and it looks gorgeous, unfortunately i noticed yesterday after leaving the movie theater that something sounded "funny" inside the case.I realized that the oscillating mass that winds the watch is dinking around (unattached obviously) inside the case.I'm attaching some pictures and my question is what should i do about it? is this normal?I mean, the dealers say the QC the watches, so how are we to know if we're getting healthy movements?I dunno, a little help here?My linkMy link

Edited by Kal Vilmer

Sorry to hear about your problems, especially with your first. Believe me, most of us have been there. Unfortunately it is a normal occurrence in the rep game. There are no guarantees especially with movements. It is best not to confuse QC with a quick visual check. I work in an industry where QC is a whole area of procedures, policies and systems and I am quite sure this is not what the dealers are doing. Although they have come along way.

It appears that the weight has come free from the bearing. This is a pressed in part. If you can get the case open it is a pretty simple repair to at least get you going again. Just remove those four cap head screws and pull off the case back. Next pull out the weight to get it out of the way. Then you will need a small jewelers screwdriver (probably 1.2mm) and remove the screw holding the bearing to the movement. Once out (be careful not to loose the screw) you can pull off the bearing. Now set the weight face down on a hard surface, place the bearing in the hole then press it in. It should pop right in there. Then reattach with the screw and reinstall the case back. Good to go.

I know I know, sounds easy right....it really is. Good luck.

I can only share my own personal experence. I have had very good luck with my reps,a few minor problems Is all. I would take your watch to a small watchshop,maybe at the mall. Let them know up front that It Is a rep,ask If they would take a look at It. It sounds like a minor issue. If your comfortable doing as Krpster suggest,then give It a shot. Keep us abreast of the situation and try not to let It get you down,good luck.:)Mike

Guest keeper

I sympathise Val Kilmer,I also have had a bad experience with my first rep, a Planet Ocean Chrono which was purchased from a dealer recommended here.

Over the first few months of ownership the bracelet fell apart revealing bent link assembly pins and corroded tubes,the deployment clasp suffered failure of the thin-walled hollow rivet linking the two halves of the clasp, and last but not least the decal at 12 came out of it's seat and floated about the face before coming to rest at 11, and all this in a rep that cost $240.

Now being a toolmaker I had the skills and tools to sort the bracelet and clasp problems, but I don't have any watchmaking skills so one day I'll have to take it to my local watch repairer and ask if he can fix the problems with the face.

As this is my first post I'm unable to put up some photos, but I felt so much sympathy for you I just wanted to show a

little solidarity with your plight.

All the above has shaken my confidence and now I only buy low-cost reps from DHgate,CQout and the like..although I'm nnow starting to look at Watcheden's low-end reps with some intent ^_^

I hope you get a satisfactory outcome in the end.

NB: I haven't named the dealer as I never had the confidence to confront them over their shoddy goods.

I sympathise Val Kilmer,I also have had a bad experience with my first rep, a Planet Ocean Chrono which was purchased from a dealer recommended here.

Over the first few months of ownership the bracelet fell apart revealing bent link assembly pins and corroded tubes,the deployment clasp suffered failure of the thin-walled hollow rivet linking the two halves of the clasp, and last but not least the decal at 12 came out of it's seat and floated about the face before coming to rest at 11, and all this in a rep that cost $240.

Now being a toolmaker I had the skills and tools to sort the bracelet and clasp problems, but I don't have any watchmaking skills so one day I'll have to take it to my local watch repairer and ask if he can fix the problems with the face.

As this is my first post I'm unable to put up some photos, but I felt so much sympathy for you I just wanted to show a

little solidarity with your plight.

All the above has shaken my confidence and now I only buy low-cost reps from DHgate,CQout and the like..although I'm nnow starting to look at Watcheden's low-end reps with some intent ^_^

I hope you get a satisfactory outcome in the end.

NB: I haven't named the dealer as I never had the confidence to confront them over their shoddy goods.

Im sorry about your rep troubles,very few members have the problems you have described. If you would have asked a few qustions before your purchase(recomended) those Issues would not have happened or those Issues would have been addressed by the dealer. Remember one of the main functions of this forum Is to support/protect it's members,even from trusted dealers If need be. The truth Is most people dont show up here untill they have a problem,your post Is a good example. Reps for the most part are very well made today. When you consider how many members these rep forums have the complaints are very very small In comparison. I just want both sides to get a fair shake durring this post. I wish you well with your furture rep purchases,good luck:) Mike

Im sorry about your rep troubles,very few members have the problems you have described. If you would have asked a few qustions before your purchase(recomended) those Issues would not have happened or those Issues would have been addressed by the dealer. Remember one of the main functions of this forum Is to support/protect it's members,even from trusted dealers If need be. The truth Is most people dont show up here untill they have a problem,your post Is a good example. Reps for the most part are very well made today. When you consider how many members these rep forums have the complaints are very very small In comparison. I just want both sides to get a fair shake durring this post. I wish you well with your furture rep purchases,good luck:) Mike

+100

Good response mike. I hate hearing stories of.. "I didn't mention it on the forum.." or "I was afraid to mention it to the dealer"... Exactly what this forum is designed for. We as a community can really hold dealers accountable :)

+100

Good response mike. I hate hearing stories of.. "I didn't mention it on the forum.." or "I was afraid to mention it to the dealer"... Exactly what this forum is designed for. We as a community can really hold dealers accountable :)

Exactly :)

Thanks for your support guys!

It does seem like a minor issue i would have tackled myself, i'm a dentist so i i'm good with working with little things, unfortunately i bought a BM RIVIERA

with stupid miniature hex-screws instead of a normal caseback.

My wife an I are doing some work in a small country in Central America called Honduras but will be moving back to Washington this summer.

I'm gonna try and have the rotor re-attached locally and then i'm thinking of sending it to someone for a full service and water pressure test.

The watch is beautiful, it looks just like the real thing, it's is just a little sad to feel the thing coming apart on your wrist.

I'm gonna keep you posted guys!.

If someone can recommend a repair guy i would appreciate it. FxrAndy, do you work on chronos?

Thanks guys!

Paco

I am from Honduras Myself and I will be there in June. A Watch repair guys that can do that fix for you there. There is this place called Helvetia is a watch repair shop; the only prolbem is that is downtown Tegucigalpa and is a mess to go there. Where in Honduras are you Located.

Thanks for your support guys!

It does seem like a minor issue i would have tackled myself, i'm a dentist so i i'm good with working with little things, unfortunately i bought a BM RIVIERA

with stupid miniature hex-screws instead of a normal caseback.

My wife an I are doing some work in a small country in Central America called Honduras but will be moving back to Washington this summer.

I'm gonna try and have the rotor re-attached locally and then i'm thinking of sending it to someone for a full service and water pressure test.

The watch is beautiful, it looks just like the real thing, it's is just a little sad to feel the thing coming apart on your wrist.

I'm gonna keep you posted guys!.

If someone can recommend a repair guy i would appreciate it. FxrAndy, do you work on chronos?

Thanks guys!

Paco

Im sure that Andy will set you In the right direction Paco,best of luck.:)

I am from Honduras Myself and I will be there in June. A Watch repair guys that can do that fix for you there. There is this place called Helvetia is a watch repair shop; the only prolbem is that is downtown Tegucigalpa and is a mess to go there. Where in Honduras are you Located.

Small world!! Love this forum

GET OUT!

I just pushed you like Elaine did on Seinfeld.

I'm residing in the capital Tegus, i'll see if i can find this place "Helvetia", thanks soooooo much Cyborgman!

Send me a PM when you're here, we'll have "pupusas and baleadas".

Take care!

Paco

there you go man. You sure know how to live. Anyway there are other place like the citizen repair shop but they usually recommend to replace the movement because is cheap. I took a Noobmariner a long time ago for a complete service it cost me about L500 I believe if not less. that is about $25.

If you know the city really well si Very close to the Ministerio de Hacienda or where it used to be. Relojeria y Joyeria Helvetia.

Take care Paco.

I will PM you in June

for something as minor as what your stating....Dont even bother sending it to The Zigmeister etc....Its a simple repair that any watch store can do in under 5 minutes, assuming they have the mini hex bolts. :-) Ive done it 3 or 4 times on my reps and I have welder hands.

for something as minor as what your stating....Don't even bother sending it to The Zigmeister etc....Its a simple repair that any watch store can do in under 5 minutes, assuming they have the mini hex bolts. :-)Protip for those of us who live in 3rd world countries: Take a picture of the watch in front of them, write down all comments, works, chronos reset, no scratches on crystal etc.....Ive taken 4 reps and 2 were returned with scratches on the AR....But I couldnt say anything...nor could they fix it....

for something as minor as what your stating....Don't even bother sending it to The Zigmeister etc....Its a simple repair that any watch store can do in under 5 minutes, assuming they have the mini hex bolts. :-)Protip for those of us who live in 3rd world countries: Take a picture of the watch in front of them, write down all comments, works, chronos reset, no scratches on crystal etc.....Ive taken 4 reps and 2 were returned with scratches on the AR....But I couldnt say anything...nor could they fix it....

Thanks for the reply JC, i went to the Citizen repair place to see if they had those stupid hex bolts and they said that they didn't have the tools needed for the job.

The repairt tech guy said that the "volante" was broken. I'm sure he's just making sh*t up.

They probably have never seen an auto chrono -it was funny to watch the citizen guys handle the Rep BM Riviera like it was worth thousands of dollars. they even gave me a little Citizen baggie to carry it out.

I'm thinking of sending it to the Zeigmesites for a full service regardless of my issue with the rotor, there is also a guy on RWI that services chronos, goes by a seriously weird screen name something like "1440 or 1660".

I'm gonna check on the bay or amazon for mini,mini hex bolts.

Oh well, life goes on.....

I know your pain buddy....I live in Peru and getting anything special is a major pain in the a$$....I usually end up with 200lbs of luggage on trips back from the US....toolkits, screw drivers, pcs, electronics, watches sent to my moms house,etc...

• 8 years later...
On 5/17/2019 at 2:35 AM, keeper said:

Noobs

giphy.gif

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holy necro post batman! 

Guest keeper
17 hours ago, ceejay said:

Holy necro post batman! 

What's a forum without necroposting?

One with no sense of it's own history.