When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

want a vintage rep

urbanshogun

Ben's bond sub has made me really want an vintage looking rolex diver. if I don't manage to buy Ben's one (I probably won't considering i'm like 9th in the queue), which is the best model for me to buy and vintageize? what is the best way to vintageize? Can you guys show me your vintage rolex reps?

thanks for reading,

-US

I can't really recommend the best one to use as a base for the project, simply because there are several vintage dive watches, and it's pretty much just a matter of personal taste on which to go for :) As for how to age the case, I tend to scrape the bracelet and case on the edges of ceramic tiles/house bricks, hack at the case with a sharp knife, and then use a 4-sided nail buffer to blend everything to a less obvious condition. Here're some pics of my vintage subs for examples :)

Tudor 79190

DSCN3646.jpg

Tudor 9401 (incorrect hands/incompete project)

DSCN2453.jpg

Rolex 5200 (incomplete project)

DSCN2704.jpg

I don't know if 70s and 8-0s Tudors would be considered "vintage" so this will have to do...

I think they deceided on VRF that basicly Plexi = Vintage

So you are good ;)

Have you heard about Erkahund on ebay?

He makes cases for lots of watch companies, I know that Tourby Watches and a couple of other watch houses use his stuff. Anyway he is now releasing his own stuff in small batches, If I ever want a vintage sub again I htink I would go for this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&hash=item45f8903d0b&item=300522945803&nma=true&pt=DE_Kleidung_Schmuck_Accessoires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&rt=nc&si=5yMkaJDLtndAyncuue4NaaJpSB4%253D

wow those are lovely guys, thanks.

Erkahund watches seem a little expensive for what they are, even though it is a "gen".

I suppose the best vintagizer is time! but you can help with a nice dial and hand patina.

I think i'm just going to lurk sales forums until a 21j diver turns up. the 21j beat is correct no?

also, those riveted bracelets are nice, is there any way to emulate the stretching?

a21j is a catch-all name for a type of Asian movement.

The 2 most common (and reliable) a21j movements are the 4813 and the 2813. One's a high beat and the other is a low beat movement, so no, a21j does not mean low-beat. It's just a movement family.