When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Submariner 5512 project has begun!

Guest jsuperman17

Guest jsuperman17

Ok guys.. hot off the press... my first project that i have will begin and end.. i will probably keep this one for sure since i will have so much time and parts in this... so i got my mbw 1680 from a member.. well it was a nightmare in box! the movement stops intermittently... the crown and tube is stripped.. and the bezel insert has a huge dent! anyways.. i am going to need some new gen parts :D here is my dilemna... should i opt for the gen crystal or is a clark crystal? any suggestions for bezel inserts? i also need a new bracelet... i want to get a gen 9135 but dont know if its worth it.. i will post pics later... any suggestions would help.. ubi please chime in for this one if you can :D

It's all a matter of taste and perfection ( and the amount of money you want to invest )

For the crystal i would go for the gen cause IMO there is a huge difference in clarity between reps and the gen.

As for the insert a gen is certainly very nice but a PMWF insert with an Offrei pearl does the trick also.

I have both insert in my MBW and i can't tell the difference from a distance of 30 cm.

I never had a gen bracelet so i can't give you my opinion on that one.

Keep us updated on the progress of your project.

Carpe Diem

Cats

It is all about budget and priorities. That is the beauty of the MBW's. Obviously the first step is to deal with the movement and swap out the crown and tube if necessary. On the crown and tube you can buy for a little as $50 or spend $300+ for a proper 700 or 702 set-up depending on how old you are trying to make your "vintage". You should consider some case work as well (CG's, case and lug edges, etc.). On the insert as someone else has said there are some good aftermarket inserts. Finally there is the whole issue of whether you want to redo the lume on the dial and hands to vintage tritium. I would say that before you go whole hog price it out. Good luck with it and have fun.

Guest jsuperman17

Got it thanks... I feel like with vintage models gen inserts isn't that big of a deal... I comparednthem side by side and no major difference as oppose to my wm9 submariner... There the discrepancy is huge! I feel a gen bracelet will do a lot more justice but what's a current price for a gen 9135 bracelet? Also what's the main difference between a eta 2846 and 2836/2824??

Guest jsuperman17

Oh so def a necessary swap then... well onyl 100 bucks... I'm def not getting a gen movement! I'd rather buy a gen for the price of the movement alone..

If the movement is going to be swapped out anyway...forget about the 2846 and go with a 2472....exact beat as the 1570 and non-hacking. The 2472 will come with a date wheel...but just get rid of it like you would the 2846.

You can remove the hacking lever from a 28XX movement quite easily.

The 2472 does not beat the same as a 1570; the 1570 was 19,800 bph and the 2472 is 18,000. It also has a slightly different stem height than a 2836 (matches a 2824) which might not matter but it depends on the case, placement of the tube, height of the hand stack etc.

sneed...you are quite correct! Sorry for leading you astray J...for some strange reason I thought that the 2472 beat the same as the 1570 :bangin:

I guess it is really neither here nor there...you choose a movement that will either beat faster or slower than 19.8k.

I guess it is really neither here nor there...you choose a movement that will either beat faster or slower than 19.8k.

Yeah, it's

5 beats per second = 18kbph

5.5 beats per second = 19.8 kbph

6 beats per second = 21.6 kbph

I think anyone who claims to be able to tell the difference between 5.5 and 6 beats per second is probably full of it, although I dunno... I can definitely tell 21,600 apart from 28,800 by listening to the movements

If your movement is screwed I would contact the seller. And the tube is stripped?

was this all disclosed in the sale???? If not then thats not cool. Hopefully you didnt pay the cost of a new one to receive one that needs servicing out of the box.

Anyways if you want a quick replacement movement you can get the slow beat DG2813 movement and throw it in there. It even comes with a usable datewheel. They are about $20. For the plexi, get one from clarkes or ebay. They range from $30-60 for aftermarket but if you want a gen t-19 you will pay closer to $100, BUT it makes a big difference. When it comes to Rolex plexi, its always better to go gen. Its optically clearer with less distortion than a aftermarket plexi. I also notice that my gen Plexi's are more scratch resistant than any of the aftermarket ones. There are some good bezel inserts out there, and you can get pearls from Yuki or Ofrei for about $20. Expect an insert with correct pearl to cost you $60-80 for aftermarket. A gen insert will be $150 at least but its worth the money IMHO.

sneed...you are quite correct! Sorry for leading you astray J...for some strange reason I thought that the 2472 beat the same as the 1570 :bangin:

Yeah, but... 18000bph is correct for the 1530 and 1560, both of which were found in the early 5512s.

I really need to stock up on 2472s. You got me hooked on them after the Space-Dweller build!