When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A fast review of the raven

chris5264

I really like collecting from the small independent watch maker that takes a chance and tries something new (or old in this case),,,so that and four rum and cokes will make this a perfectly objective review of this watch. This goes for about 450 (usd) new and can be found, at least in my case, for about 350 used. However, in my case the screw down crown was almost stripped and needs replace (funny how people forget to mention that in the ad). Two things got my attention about this piece. The way the gilt dial and SS create a nice tension and the very curved plastic crystal. IMO, the crystal is the best part of the watch, the quality is very obvious. I also like the dial but I think the raven symbol could have been just a little larger. The lum is good but I have plans for this and I’m curious what others think. I would like to have the crown guards taken out and an 8mm crown put in. Might cost a little but not as much as a Kingston and IMO would take it up to that quality. I might also have some vintage lum added....??

003ej.jpg

005wa.jpg

008sn.jpg

012bwf.jpg

014abd.jpg

To remove the crown guards, I'm thinking you'd have to remove the bezel. At that point you'd see how the bezel assembly is put together- did they copy the Rolex assembly for the 5513/1680? The 8mm big crown would be interesting and I kinda like your idea of vintage lume- imitating a 30-40 year old watch.

Thanks for sharing with us.

I'll pop off the bezel and take some pics but it is nice and smooth....it is about 39-40mm so,,perfect size IMO...I think they had two lum options...C1 and C3,,,,I think this is C3 since it is actually pretty bright...but will do a vintage lum so,,,so much for that...

Now..where to find an 8mm crown at a decent price...I know where to find one for 150+ (usd) but would like to find something under 100.....

The same folks who are selling the 8mm Brevet on Ebay have a "Make and offer" on the sales ad, or at least they did a few weeks ago. Several folks here, including myself have made offers for 95.00 USD and were accepted. Tha brings it in at under your 100.00 USD price. I like the watch, nice looking, and certainly a platform for a nice "Bond" homage.

It looks like the hands are really fat, sort of the same as the newer ceramic subs, SD, etc. If it were me, I would get a set of conventional size Clark hands and re lume hands and dial to match.

panerai153,,good point about the hands...I know others have commmented that they are too fat...the problem is that I actually like them. However, I know they are not very accurate....hard decision....

with the 8mm crown...did you get a tube with it? for 95 that might be a good way to go...thanks!

• 6 months later...

I thought Raven made a model without crowngaurds, or at least I thought I had seen one.

There is another "homage" type like this one, but made in germany. I can't remember the name....maybe that one doesn't have CG's.

Edit: I just found the other one it's KEMMNER Milsub SG9092 , doesn't have the CG's.