When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling All Panerai Experts!

ajoesmith

Hi

I have a Panerai PAM 27 with the ETA 2892 and SOPRAS power reserve 'Module'

My question is:

How is the Sopras Module attached?? or is is attached??

Ive been looking at getting the really cheap Silix PAM 27 with asian movement and power reserve.

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1486

Does anyone know if the asian movement is a standard movement with a power reserve module or does it have the power reserve built in to the movement??

If the asian movement has a module would it be possible to put the asian module on an ETA 2892 and thus have a really cheap REAL ETA PAM??

Let me know

Thanks

Joe

If I correctly understand, you are asking about to transform an ETA 2892 in an ETA 2892-A2 by adding an asian PR module rather than an ETA PR module?

If so, may ask you two questions in return:

1 - Is ETA 2892 without a PR module so much cheaper than with PR module?

2 - Why adventuring yourself in such a task if you already are the owner of a complete ETA 2892-A2?

If I correctly understand, you are asking about to transform an ETA 2892 in an ETA 2892-A2 by adding an asian PR module rather than an ETA PR module?

If so, may ask you two questions in return:

1 - Is ETA 2892 without a PR module so much cheaper than with PR module?

2 - Why adventuring yourself in such a task if you already are the owner of a complete ETA 2892-A2?

Maybe i should clarify

I have a PAM 27 with ETA 2892 Sopras power reserve moule that i paid a lot of money for and had to justify it to the Mrs for a long time.

I love this watch and have to say that its my favourite watch.

However ive seen that Silix has this watch with asian movement and power reserve for $80!!! only $80 sooooo cheap!!

You can get a new ETA 2892 for Ebay for $150

So total for the Asian PAM 27 and ETA movement is $230.

If the Asian power reserve module will fit on the ETA 2892 then you have a very cheap PAM 27 with GEN ETA movement and Power reserve just like the GEN.

Josh and other sell this watch for around $600.

If you can do it my way then youll save a whopping $370!!!!!!

Does that clear this up??

If this works then ill do it and sell the ETA 2892 that i have

I am not sure you are going to get an answer to that question. I am not aware of anyone having broken down both an Asian 21j Power Reserve and a 2892 A2. IMHO, either sell the one you have and buy a more contemporary model Asian Power Reserve for $150 or less or sell something else if you are determined to utilize an ETA movement. I would hate to see you end up out $230 with a non-working watch. :)

I am not sure you are going to get an answer to that question. I am not aware of anyone having broken down both an Asian 21j Power Reserve and a 2892 A2. IMHO, either sell the one you have and buy a more contemporary model Asian Power Reserve for $150 or less or sell something else if you are determined to utilize an ETA movement. I would hate to see you end up out $230 with a non-working watch. :)

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

For now im going to buy the asian power reserve and see how the power reserve is attached.

Ill post pics when i get it.

ill let everyone know how it works out.

If possible then it will be a great way to save money...

for $80 its worth a shot and if the power reserve is built in then i can just re assemble the watch again. All will not be lost.. hopefully

Thanks

Joe

Thanks, it is clear now.

I strongly doubt that asian PR module would fit ETA 2892, as it is made for our old-and-beloved Asian 21j auto, which is a clone of Miyota 82xx, a very different movement from ETA 2892.

I suggest you take care of your 2892A2. According with The Zigmeister, it is the best movement you can get. It is well worth the expense, tell it to your wife :):) .

Completely different movts not a cat in hells chance of this working.

Hi

Some clarification would be nice.

From what ive read the Asian Power reserves are made by a company called Seagull.

the Power reserves at 4 oclock position are a different style of movement as far as i know.

but the power reserve at 6 oclock may be a different movement. Seagull make a movement just like the ETA 2892 so maybe it uses this.

Do you have any other news on this

Thanks

Joe

I understand what you are thinking but it would be like saying use the chrono features from a 7750 on a 6497 because they are both made by ETA.

The seagull movt while looking similar to the ETA with regard to the rotor shape is a differetn movt and has a completely different top plate with the PR module built into it. The soprod module is a small device that fits onto the 2892 and I really cannot explain anymore as it difficult to put into words but I would be very suprised if this could be done.

I understand what you are thinking but it would be like saying use the chrono features from a 7750 on a 6497 because they are both made by ETA.

The seagull movt while looking similar to the ETA with regard to the rotor shape is a differetn movt and has a completely different top plate with the PR module built into it. The soprod module is a small device that fits onto the 2892 and I really cannot explain anymore as it difficult to put into words but I would be very suprised if this could be done.

Hi

Actually i think the ETA 2892 and the Seagull copy of the this movement are basically identical.

the plates are the same.

check it out here:

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta289202.html

the seagull here: http://www.tjseagull.com/chanpzs_jxzsst18.html

The plates look exactly the same to me???

Yes?

Actually i have a seagull ST-18 in my hand and i can tell you that the plates are the same. Ill try and take pics asap.

If the movements were even close to identical (i.e. I don't think the movement in the Asian PR PAM is that Seagull 2893 movement) the rep makers would not go have to have a separate date adjustment on the side of the case.

Hi Kruzer

I think your talking about a different watch.

Im not talking about the Asian PAMs with Power reserve at 4 oclock position - these movements are different, I know

IM talking about the PAM 27 with power reserve at 6 oclock. Like this:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1486

the date is adjusted in the normal way by pulling out the crown

I think it might have a similar movement to the ETA 2892 but i may be wrong.

I know its a long shot but at least its a shot

Also im not trying to undermine the great wealth of knowledge here but actually no one actually knows what kind of movement is in the Asian version of the PAM 27.

it would be very interesting to find out.....

i know all people ask here from seagull... seagull movements etc.

but fact is... this asian movements were not build from seagul.. seagul sell this moevements, but they are not the producer of this movements...

NOT seagul movements... this movements are from other factorys... seagul sell it as his movements, but isn´t. same like Panerai (called his unitas movement as OP XII).

a friendly movement engeneer from Honk Kong tell me this informations????

Stop being a cheap bastard..........In the time it took me to read this anal, whiny thread I could have made $2,000 on the poker table. This is nitpicking at its finest. If you want value buy a C-omex, Alpha or RXW. If you want a cheap asian knockoff buy that, and if you want a watch that has a swiss movement buy that. Our quest here is for the most accurate looking replica watches in the world. Who cares if you saved $370 with a stupid scheme to make a reverse franken watch.

The most important thing here is that i don't think the girl in ajoesmith's avatar cares what movement is in your watch..................

Stop being a cheap bastard..........In the time it took me to read this anal, whiny thread I could have made $2,000 on the poker table. This is nitpicking at its finest. If you want value buy a C-omex, Alpha or RXW. If you want a cheap asian knockoff buy that, and if you want a watch that has a swiss movement buy that. Our quest here is for the most accurate looking replica watches in the world. Who cares if you saved $370 with a stupid scheme to make a reverse franken watch.

The most important thing here is that i don't think the girl in ajoesmith's avatar cares what movement is in your watch..................

Oooh I say - a little harsh!! You will find that Seagull movts are made by the Tianjin Watch factory in Tianjin China. They are a very old and famous company who recently exhibited their new Tourbillon movet (much to the chagrin of the Swiss) at a recent industry show in Baselworld. They have supplied watches for the domestic Chinese market for many years. Seagull is one of their trading names.

You can check em out here but nothing in English so hope you can all read mandarin:

http://www.zhonghuawatch.com/

Our quest here is for the most accurate looking replica watches in the world. Who cares if you saved $370 with a stupid scheme to make a reverse franken watch.

Speak just for you. The quest of several members in this thread is for having fun in rep modding -- and maybe a little of watch understanding. If you don't like this thread and you have no contribution to offer, simply go elsewhere.

And, btw, who cares what your quest is -- or that you play poker? :lol::lol::lol:

seagul sell it as his movements, but isn´t. same like Panerai (called his unitas movement as OP XII)

:blink: Now I got a little confused... OP XII is a Valjoux 7753 with date at 4 and date quickset pusher at 11... never used on 027 (A-B-C) and 028 (A-B ), that only got ETA 2892 + SOPROD 9040 PR module.

Even D+ PR models (090, 093, 123, 124, 171...) had OP IX, not OP XII which is of chrono models only: 162, 187, 188, 236, 250, 251.

I would say that OP XII has nothing to do with PR models... :g:

Great pics SSS

but the pics only show us the top of the movement, Can you take the top plate off the movement so we can see how the power reserve is attached or if it is built into the movement??.

@freeman, or whatever your name is - I already have the swiss version of this watch, which i love to pieces. This is a rep forum where people come to have fun and talk about watches and any mods.

So take it easy before you blast off!!!!!

There is a lot of confusion with movt numbers in the early Panerais, In fact the PAM 23, 29 and 63 is stated as fitted with an ETA 2893. The PAM 27,28 and 57 have a 9040 (which indicates the soprod pwr res device) and the only pwr res to have an OP number movt is the PAM 124 which has an OP1X which is a movt based on the Valjoux 7750.

the pics only show us the top of the movement, Can you take the top plate off the movement so we can see how the power reserve is attached or if it is built into the movement??.

Sorry Joe, this would be a little over my specs on the matter...

I knew id seen this movement before

Check it out here: http://www.ptsresources.com/

Click on automatics and its number 10) DG-3886 Automatic Mechanical Watch Movement

spec is not so good +/-60secs per day!!!

No doubt it is the DG-3886! Great find! How the heck did you find it?!? :notworthy:

About those +/-60secs per day, I suppose it is just a matter of luck... my TTK piece proved precise beyond expectations... and +/-60 is not so bad after all ;)

OK

The plate on the chinese PTS movement looks exactly the same as the plate on the ETA 2892 with power reserve.

Check it out on ofrei http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html

Its the ETA 2892-A2 Nickel Plated Special Model.

Ive ordered the PAM 27 from Silix at $80 so ill take the plate off and check it out. Ill post pics of it when ive done it.

Itll be interesting to see how the power reserve is incorporated into the movement.

By the way Ofrei sells some of these chinese movements, check them out here http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html

at really cheap prices around $20. But idont know about the quality