When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 112h Case Disassembly

redwatch

Hey folks,

Some of you may recall my questions about my 112h case, crown and crown guard. I took the recommendations and purchased a new T-48 crown and new T Tube to go with it. So now my questions is: how do I remove the old tube. I was told it was a press fit, but it is definitely stuck in there well. I am thinking I should take the bezel off and remove the crystal to be safe.

Any pointers on how to do that?

I think your only option is to drill out the old tube.

That's what I figured would be the case. I will probably have to enlarge the diameter of the hole for the new T tube anyways as it is definitely larger than the cheap thin one that's installed now.

if you want to go the extreme...this is the tool from Horotec for $135.00

MSA-03.656.jpg

What on earth is that thing BT?

it's a tube pusher and presser....it's actually smaller than it looks in the photos....one side it for pushing out all manner of case tubes...like those on panerai and rolex daytona chrono tubes...any tube that is not screwed.

The other side is a press for pressing in the tubes....

both side have delrin plastic pieces to prevent scratching and marring of tubes....Fransciso over on RG uses this press extensively for various tasks...and as a small parts vise

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any suggestions on how I remove the crystal from the case before I start doing any extensive work to it?

I think your only option is to drill out the old tube.

Marty....do you have any suggestions on a good drill bit to get this thing out? I need to pick up some bits anyways so I might as well get some good ones.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I remove the crystal from the case before I start doing any extensive work to it?

Marty....do you have any suggestions on a good drill bit to get this thing out? I need to pick up some bits anyways so I might as well get some good ones.

The crystal usually pops out with firm finger/thumb pressure and cloth but if you are unsure then you can use the wide lid of a drinks bottle and cloth on a table, you can also use that method to replace it..

Are you sure you need to drill it mate? Have you tried manouvere it at all?

The crystal usually pops out with firm finger/thumb pressure and cloth but if you are unsure then you can use the wide lid of a drinks bottle and cloth on a table, you can also use that method to replace it..

Are you sure you need to drill it mate? Have you tried manouvere it at all?

Well I have a crystal press, but I wasn't sure if I needed to remove the bezel or not?

As for the tube, I haven't had much luck at all pushing the tube out. If I can get the crystal out then I might try with a little more effort since I can get to the tube from both sides.

Sorry mate I should of realised that you would of had one...

The best way is to remove the bezel if you can...as if it removeable you can resite and gasket etc if not then just straight out the case mate

Rep cases come in a couple of variations...gen construction...ie removeable bezel or typical rep construction where bezel sits in a mid case and forms part of the main case.. Generally you can tell by the number of gaskets you can see when you look up and inside the case..

Thanks for the tips Pete! Got the bezel off, popped out the crystal and have got the tube out. Now I still need to drill into the case though as the new 'T' tube is considerably larger in diameter than the crappy rep tube I just removed. So I guess I still need to pick up some decent drill bits (my current ones won't drill through butter :doh: )

Thanks for the tips Pete! Got the bezel off, popped out the crystal and have got the tube out. Now I still need to drill into the case though as the new 'T' tube is considerably larger in diameter than the crappy rep tube I just removed. So I guess I still need to pick up some decent drill bits (my current ones won't drill through butter :doh: )

Good to hear mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now its off to get those bits... :)

Let us know how you get on mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good to hear mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now its off to get those bits... :)

Let us know how you get on mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Not getting on to well I'm afraid to say. Got a great set of cobalt drill bits and they are cutting thru the case just nicely. Unfortunately, as I am slowly stepping up the size, I noticed the hole center is drifting downward. I haven't enlarged it enough for the new tube yet, but I am not sure how to proceed. I can't just keep on enlarging the hole cause it will mess it up even more. I need to go up :doh:

gen construction...ie removeable bezel or typical rep construction where bezel sits in a mid case and forms part of the main case..

Oh, so most of the rep cases are built like that? I thought all the cartel cases are built like the gen and only the 47s and the H-factory cases are built with the bezel being part of the case.. ?

You can make a tube puller with a drill press... Here's mine I use on my upright mill. I turned a piece of steel that's smaller than the hole but bigger than the tube hole... if you don't have a lathe you can use a nail chucked in a dremel or power drill and a file to turn down the head...

5fb32404.jpg

what sort of mill or dril are you uning?

Hand held Makita drill (I know....not the right tool for the job!)

You can make a tube puller with a drill press... Here's mine I use on my upright mill. I turned a piece of steel that's smaller than the hole but bigger than the tube hole... if you don't have a lathe you can use a nail chucked in a dremel or power drill and a file to turn down the head...

I have the tube out already, but in making the hole larger for the new 'T' tube, the center line of the hole has shifted towards the bottom of the case. Before I enlarge it any further I am wondering if I can salvage my mistake?

I would put 1mm drill in and put press down to insert a drill in a hole. Use a dental mirror to center the drill in a hole (move the case in a vice in order to center it). When it looks good pull drill pres up and change the bit for big one. Go super slow!!! This will solve the problem. Good luck