When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone own these headphones?

whoever

Hi!

Etymotic Research - ER6i? Or Etymotoc hf5?

does anybody own these headphones?

Looking to get some mid range stuff. Had some Denon, they just went dead, i need some new now, but the choice is just mindbreaking....and i have a long history of headphones, Bose( great sound, but TERRIBLY bad comfort!!) etc etc...etc etc...

Now i'm looking for something between 70 euro and 150 euro....listening mostly to classical music, piano, cello etc but also a lot of other stuff....

(looking for some intra-auriculars)

any advice?

thanks a lot for helping me.

cheers

Ultimate Ears. I have a few pairs, they're great. Have a look at the Super.Fi 5 Pro series, I have the XtndBass with a 13mm bass driver and they are pretty amazing for the type of music I like to listen to while working. They have a great range and can be had for cheap on the 'Bay.

There are two Super.Fi 5 Pro models:

1. Super.Fi 5 Pro

ultimateearssuperfi5pro.jpg

2. Super.Fi 5 Pro EB (these are same as above but have a subwoofer inside)

product1_19880.jpg

For your listening tastes, the Super.Fi 5 Pro (NOT the EB or XtndBass Entended Bass) will be perfect. ULtimate Ears headphones are great. www.ultimateears.com

I used to like Ultimate ears until they got bought out by Logitech. I hope that you dont break your cable. Logitech will charge you full price to replace it. Before Ulitmate ears would send the same cable to me for free. thumbdown.gif I would look at Shure. They always treat me right.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/index.htm

I've got some Westone UM-1's the most COMFORTABLE earphone I've ever owned. I had some Shure E2cs and some Shure SE210, and the UM1 beats both hands down. Best definition. I'm assuming it's got a similar soundstage to the etymotics as the UM1 aren't bassy at all. It's a single driver but has incredible range and separation.

I've been through 3 pairs of shures. The cables on Shures splits after a while. It's quite annoying. The Westones are braided and very flexible. The smallest in-ear headphone I've ever used. I can even lay my head down and not notice them in my ears.

um1.jpg

I tried lots of models and wound up buying the Klipsch Image X10.

They take quite awhile to break in and "open up" but when they do ... WOW. :1a:

Klipsch-x10_1.jpg

I've heard good things about these too... Tough choice for the OP, but between $50-$150 there are many decent choices.

Logitech buying out Ultimate Ears only affected the consumer end. UE still have their dedicated custom shop where they make bespoke, custom earphones based on an audiologist's measurement of your ear canal... Pretty sweet stuff, and not inconceivably expensive.

well ,thanks for all the feedback, i actually am still looking.....the klipsch seem a bit uncomfortable no? Aren't they "standing" out of your ear when you wear them?

redwatch, thanks for the link!! i'll take the time to read it later today!

still tempted by the Shure SE 535....

well ,thanks for all the feedback, i actually am still looking.....the klipsch seem a bit uncomfortable no? Aren't they "standing" out of your ear when you wear them?

redwatch, thanks for the link!! i'll take the time to read it later today!

still tempted by the Shure SE 535....

The build quality of the shures is horendous... and comfort of the 535 is better than my old se210s but not much.

The Westones rock and use comply foam tips and don't even protrude out of the ear. the flatest earphone i've ever tried. amazing.

um1.jpg

I have had a set of SE210 that I ended up passing down to a friend for years. I don't know that the build quality is that bad perhaps some people are harder on them than others. I ended up upgrading and getting a newer set about a year ago and they are still working away.

I have had a set of SE210 that I ended up passing down to a friend for years. I don't know that the build quality is that bad perhaps some people are harder on them than others. I ended up upgrading and getting a newer set about a year ago and they are still working away.

both my e2c and se210 had cord stiffening problems which eventually led to cracking

both my e2c and se210 had cord stiffening problems which eventually led to cracking

Interesting... Mine are nice smooth and still very flexible. Could be different variations in manufacturing also. However I don't have any problem with the Westones suggestion those are good also lol.

since i was UNABLE to chose in that range of price...i went for a more basic choice...the denon AH c710...i'll write a little review as soon as i get them....i'll keep you posted! (Anyhow, this discussion was very usefull to me! i'll get the high range next time when they break....and i know they will...thats the rule of the market, things have to break so it keeps the market alive! :black_eye: ) :bangin:

post-29734-0-72212400-1300705624.jpg

since i was UNABLE to chose in that range of price...i went for a more basic choice...the denon AH c710...i'll write a little review as soon as i get them....i'll keep you posted! (Anyhow, this discussion was very usefull to me! i'll get the high range next time when they break....and i know they will...thats the rule of the market, things have to break so it keeps the market alive! :black_eye: ) :bangin:

An engineer wouldn't be doing his job properly if he designed something to last forever... He'd have nothing else to engineer!

I tried buying the klipsch image S4. Disappointed. Although it is much better than the ipod speakers, the highs are really piercing, but the bass is good though. So yea.... depends on the QC.

I'm going to go try westone now.

Edited by praetor