When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone own these headphones?

whoever

It seems the dimensions of the "tube" leading from the diaphragm into your ear canal can cause harsh, penetrating upper midrange tones. On most inexpensive earbuds it's a simple tube ~2mm in diameter and 4mm long. Most earbuds I've seen with the same basic design have the same harsh upper midrange. You can imagine the acoustic properties of a rigid tube that size.

I tried modding some buds: I started with some cheap Skullcandy buds ($19.95) and they've got massive bass but the penetrating, shrill upper mids drove me crazy. So I cut out tiny plugs of foam and pressed them into the tubes. I found that different foams give different sonic characteristics. Lightweight foam blocks almost no upper mid tone, but dense heavy foam blocks quite a bit. Make sure you're using open-cell foam.

In the end I went with some moderately dense foam used to pack camera gear, and the cheapo Skullcandy buds sound pretty darn good. :tu:

So, i got my Denons a week ago....

first impressions were quite horrifying, i have to admit, they were going up and down inbetween too much bass and way too much highs....

but after a few days they are getting better, they start to feel good, and the isolation is excellent, really, i didn't hear the subway. Seems they needed a free run to get warm.... :good:

Just listening to one of my favorite songs, Pavements "range life"....sounds great!!

i'd say that for the price i payed, 90euro, they are great, but i think their starting price at the beginning was around 170 euro! WAY too much...far better then my last denons, but not worth almost 200 euro....

let's see how long they live....

So, i got my Denons a week ago....

first impressions were quite horrifying, i have to admit, they were going up and down inbetween too much bass and way too much highs....

but after a few days they are getting better, they start to feel good, and the isolation is excellent, really, i didn't hear the subway. Seems they needed a free run to get warm.... :good:

Just listening to one of my favorite songs, Pavements "range life"....sounds great!!

i'd say that for the price i payed, 90euro, they are great, but i think their starting price at the beginning was around 170 euro! WAY too much...far better then my last denons, but not worth almost 200 euro....

let's see how long they live....

Congrats dude. How is the bass? Ermm...as in bassy? :p

Sweet! Thanks for the info. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I am considering the Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220vi with Mic Remote, mainly because I need the mic. Anyone knows the bass on this one? :)

For that price range, have a look for the Super.Fi4 vi series in the Bay... Ignore the boxed sets and look for the OEM packaged ones, they are of much higher quality and the total incl. Shipping can be had for less than $45-50. And the bass is very, very good plus they are noise-canceling.

Good luck!

For that price range, have a look for the Super.Fi4 vi series in the Bay... Ignore the boxed sets and look for the OEM packaged ones, they are of much higher quality and the total incl. Shipping can be had for less than $45-50. And the bass is very, very good plus they are noise-canceling.

Good luck!

Wow, Thanks for the advice, mate1 That's where I'm looking now. :)

Wow, Thanks for the advice, mate1 That's where I'm looking now. :)

Sorry, they are noise-isolating, not noise-canceling. Have a look on daBay every few days, they come up all the time for great prices, ignore the boxed sets, they are a massive rip off :)

I am considering the Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220vi with Mic Remote, mainly because I need the mic. Anyone knows the bass on this one? :)

If you're looking for massive bottom octave bass look at the $20 Skullcandy buds. They're flippin' amazing. But the harsh upper mids will drive you crazy until you mod them with some foam plugs. Then, they're just flat amazing.

But they're still not Klipsch X10s.

If you're looking for massive bottom octave bass look at the $20 Skullcandy buds. They're flippin' amazing. But the harsh upper mids will drive you crazy until you mod them with some foam plugs. Then, they're just flat amazing.

I thought the Super.Fi 5 xtnd bass (EB) series with the 1.3cm subwoofer would do the trick for a big slab of bass, man I was wrong... :) instead, I just turn the bass on the iPhone down and they sound ideal.

Super.Fi 5 vi series would be great, and Nanuq's advice is excellent.

Let us know what you get :)

Dang, 1.3cm is epic for a set of buds! :shock:

I listened to WADS of headphones for years, from cheap crap-phones to high end studio jobbies, and settled on some Advent that were acceptable.

Then one day my daughter handed me a set of Skullcandys and suggested I try them. The harsh upper end was annoying but I felt things rumbling in my chest, music I'd never heard before. I put in a CD by Thousand Foot Krutch and there was a whole bottom octave there I'd never heard before. I played it over and over, gritting my teeth against the harsh upper end but just digging that huge bottom end. Then I tried modding them with foam plugs and the results are prett-tt-ty darn fine.

For 20 clams you can't go wrong. Pick some foams to damp them to your liking and enjoy.

I thought the Super.Fi 5 xtnd bass (EB) series with the 1.3cm subwoofer would do the trick for a big slab of bass, man I was wrong... :) instead, I just turn the bass on the iPhone down and they sound ideal.

Super.Fi 5 vi series would be great, and Nanuq's advice is excellent.

Let us know what you get :)

Thanks for the wonderful advice, mates.... I greatly appreciate them!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

after traveling long hours on an airplane realizing exactly how loud a jet engine is and maxing out the volume on my ipod yet still not hearing the subtitles in what im listening to and having my ears ringing for days later i bought some Klipsch Image S4 s. theyre noise isolation with silicone fitting ear buds in three sizes. klipsch is the only manufacturer to hold the patent to make ear buds oval shaped where as ever other manufacturer has to make them round so they fit right in the ear canal and im on a 15hour flight im listening to stuff at 1/4 of what i was previously. the bass is also great for earbuds and they come with a neat metal travel tin. they can be had for about $100 tax in

• 3 weeks later...

I got hold of some Klipsch Custom 3's a few months back after plenty of research. They took a few wears to 'settle in', but the sound is fantastic, and so comfortable too. The noise isolation is good, once you spend a while testing the 5 sets of tips to get the best fit. I wouldn't swap them now, excellent earphones.