When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian clone 3135 v. Swiss ETA 2836-2

BGGodwin

I looked through some old posts about the Asian clone of the 3135 movement and am still a little confused... why does "the best" DSSD have an Asian movement? Most of what I read (although over a year old) says the Asian clone falls apart and is a piece of ****. So why does the most expensive, best model of the DSSD have an Asian movement?

I e-mailed Connie and she said the Asian clone model is the best to buy... anyone out there have some info? Thanks.

I looked through some old posts about the Asian clone of the 3135 movement and am still a little confused... why does "the best" DSSD have an Asian movement? Most of what I read (although over a year old) says the Asian clone falls apart and is a piece of ****. So why does the most expensive, best model of the DSSD have an Asian movement?

I e-mailed Connie and she said the Asian clone model is the best to buy... anyone out there have some info? Thanks.

Not necessarily a bad movement. The 3135 clone got famous when it came out a couple years ago because it's strikingly close to the real 3135 that GEN DSSD's have. There have been problems with the first gen 3135s being poorly assembled, but with a good servicing either movement is equally as reliable.

I'd say stick with the 2836 solely for the price differenc. I think it's stupid that dealers are charging more for these 3135 movements, especially for a closed back model. If my watch is EVER with someone that i trust to open up the caseback... that person will obviously know that it's a rep beforehand.

Functionally, both are workhorse movements designed to keep on ticking.. the difference being that the 3135 is a rolex design. The 3135 has 31 jewels and runs at 28,800vph. The 2836 has 25 jewels and runs at the same 28,800vph. This translates into a similar second hand sweep for both watches.

With ANY watch from china.. it's always advisable to get your movement serviced as there's no guarantee that a swiss 2836 will come in better condition than an asian clone.

Thanks for the info! When it comes to reps, I care about how they look and how they run, not what the movement looks like! I would rather have a quality Swiss movement than a shotty movement that looks gen... because like you said, anyone who I have open the watch is going to know it's a rep! If the 3135 clone has been improved since they came out, that's one thing. But like I said, the stuff I read only talked about it falling apart.

Guest jsuperman17

no need to pay the premium to "glamorize" the movement.. what counts is reliability right?? one the main visual appeal to the 3135 is the pink gear... but who the heck is going to look at that anyways.. go with the swiss... its also about 100 dollars less if im not mistaken..

I think perhaps Connie was misunderstanding you, or the other way around. I bet she means that the Asia Clone ETA was the best value. Absolutely no one in their right mind would say that the clone 3135 was the "best value" . That's just ridiculous.

You cant see the movement anyways.. and that Rolex engraved 2836 isnt going to fool ANYONE who knows anything about Rolex. The movement looks nothing like a 3135. Its clearly an ETA copy with different engravings.

Dizz

I think perhaps Connie was misunderstanding you, or the other way around. I bet she means that the Asia Clone ETA was the best value. Absolutely no one in their right mind would say that the clone 3135 was the "best value" . That's just ridiculous.

She said her model for $385 was the best... I don't know. I would prefer Swiss, I just want to make sure it looks as close to gen aesthetically as possible.

The 3135 Asian is nothing more than a decorated clone 2836 with bits that have been known to fall off. It is functionally no better than a 2836 and at times worse dure to the bits that fall off. Don't waste your money.

Keep in mind that a gen ETA have replacement parts in case of movement problem...

Asian movements does NOT have replacements parts...

Are you seriously planning to open the watch with a "Rolexpert" buddy ?

Go with gen ETA movement plus servicing :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Asian "decorated" movements not worthing the price cartel asking

• 7 months later...

Just to chime in, the the decorated Asian 3135 doesn't adjust like the gen either. Clockwise crown turning moving the hands forward, etc. There is a true Asian 3135 clone movement out there by, can I say the name of the vendor? That is the closest to the gen your gonna find, I want one, lol. The crown adjusts hand direction like the gen, no rotor noise, no 2nd hand stutter smooth and solid. The rest is ok but not a one to one. Pricey at $400. I just want the movement :)

There are two different movements being discussed...it seems. One is the Asian-built 2836 clone which has been decorated with purple gears and stick on labels. This one uses the numbers 3135 in it's description. it is the one that has the problem with parts falling off. Not worth the money.

The other is the Asian-built clone of a Rolex 3135 movement. It looks and works like a 3135. We believe that it takes gen parts, i.e. dial, hands, etc. We do not know much about it as yet, as far as parts and reliability. It appears to have the same cheap balance shock that the DG movements have.

As far as the Asian-built 2836 clone not having spare parts...I have used several of the 2836 clones and 2824 clones and have never had a problem with replacing a part with a gen ETA part. The ETA copies seem to be 1 to 1 and they are very reliable when cleaned and oiled.

I agree with plaifender in that...who is going to take the case back off their watch and show their movement to someone. A gen Rolex wearer would never do that and would probably sue you if you took it off. I am 65 years old and have never been asked to take the case back off my watch. Get the best and most reliable movement not the best decorated one.