When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ducati- how meny members have a ducati

nejad

FireMan Fred..... ;)

I could never get the hang of the riding position.... Not really designed for taller blokes same as most bikes but more noticeable on the Duke's for me... Same as MVs and A's...:)

Besides the two Laverda Jota's (one is a 'spare part' for the other) I own a Ducati M1000 that is soon to be replaced by a Bimota SB8-R. I know, I know, I should replace it with something reliable, since I have had to many issues with it already and the Laverda's are on a whole different level altogether when you consider issues and maintenance (not for better, mind), but I've been a sucker for Italian 2-wheel passion since before my graduation.h

I had several japanese bikes (Honda Fireblade and earlier a Gixxer 750) and to be honest, these were the best bikes I ever had. Not a thing went wrong with them. Metaphorically, they are the same reliable quartz against the unreliable (when not maintained) swiss clockworks. Just replace the batteries and it would go like a scolden dog.

And yet, and yet. I have the Laverda's more or less since my graduation (way, way, WAY back) and I have done fewer miles on them combined than the couple of years I have done on the Japanese bikes. Same with the Duc. And my most memorable moments, my fondest memories, were on the Italians. Then again, I have never cursed the Gixxer or the Fireblade and every spring I shout @ the Duc when it will not start.

What does that tell you???

I had a 916 got ride of it due to electrical issues...then I went for a 748SP...5K miles and it ate its own oil pump causing the engine to blow during a trackday Mid Ohio...Ducati did NOTHING! :thumbdown: Fixed it up and got rid of it swearing off the POS's forever. I know they have gotten much better electrically and mechanically, but too many issues for me to ever give Ducati my money again. My good friend had a 999R, clutch let got after 300 miles. Have had Yamahas, Suzukis, and Hondas all of which I have abused and beaten the hell out of...not a single issue. Only bike left in the stable is my 1-Litre Duc Eater...RC51. Looks like it will be joined here shortly by a RSV4 Factory.

Edited by Bike Mike

I could never get the hang of the riding position.... Not really designed for taller blokes same as most bikes but more noticeable on the Duke's for me... Same as MVs and A's...:)

Same problem for me. Also, the reliability issues always scared me away. Love my zuki :)

My wife keeps telling me that and I keep nodding my head "Yes I know". Really wanted a MV, but too many electrical Gremlins and it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get parts! Plus the wife picked the RSV4F over the MV. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Agusta it´s a really nice ride but the sound of a dry clutch it´s unique ... capice :rofl:

:1a:

reliability issues, electrical, parts and all that is a solid point but i still cant get over it! my ex used to say all the time "but it sounds like its going to fall apart "... at thee moment i have a tow vintage parallel twins and one project (1969 honda CB), for sure i need every day machine and this time i told my self: No Monster's, that is it! And again am looking at S4... i really wanted to pick up friends speed triple just for a change, but then same bug started again... its like a problematic girlfriend that you really hate but no other girl makes your hart jump like that.

Jota is such a sweet bike; witch one do you have?

You guys hit a painful spot with me with this one. I've loved bikes since I was in grade school. Over he years I've owned about a dozen. Gsxrs, CBRs, FZRs, Ninjas, etc., but haven't ridden one in many many years. All after near fatal accident. I've recovered fully, but the years have tacked on and all I seem to be able to do is get the itch every spring and act like a little kid when I hear/see one roll by. To answer the OP, I've never had a Duc, but I sure have stared and tossed the idea of buying in my head many times.

I know what I'm about to say is a bit of a downer, but a co-worker of my buddy was just killed on his bike this past Saturday when he was merging onto a fwy. It was his first bike and first week riding it. It's stories like that that seem to keep me from getting back on one.

To those who still carry on the passion. Cheers! :drinks:

My first Ducati was a new 1962 250 Monza, next a 1963 250 Scrambler, then a 250 Diana followed by a 450 Scrambler. Still have 1962 and 1963 license tags off a couple of the Ducatis...cracked because of the vibration. I worked after school and weekends and spent every $$ on MC.

Last of the breed was a 'fake'...a nos 1985 650 Cagiva Alazurra that I sold to a museum along with a Kenny Roberts edition Yamaha RZ 350 a few years ago (It had 125 miles on it).

While I was cleaning out the garage, I sold my 1974 Kawasaki H2 750 (87 actual miles) with full Denco engine, alloy rims. Buchanan Frame Shop stainless spokes, Tony Nicosia handlebars, Magura levers, Denco expansion chambers, Denselube Superchain kit, Denco carbs/K&N filters, needle bearing clutch release, Koni shocks, dual (drilled) front disc kit etc, etc. Bought it new, built it, bought a new leftover 1973 903 Z-1 and never rode the H2 again. It sat in the same spot for 33 years until I sold it.

Before Ducatis, I had Allstates...one used-up Mo-Ped, a new 125, and a new 175 'twingle' (made by Steyr-Daimler-Puch). Still have a spare Mo-Ped crankcase/transmission in the garage.

After Ducatis, a few 750 Norton Atlas, Kawasaki H2, Honda 750, Z1, etc. Also one new gold and one new black 1976 BMW R90S. Not both at once...the gold one was so bad they gave me the black one in exchange after a couple months, then bought the black one back...it was worse. Then I made up a hot rod Water Buffalo...'77 Suzuki triple with Walt Strader 3 into 1, flat bars, K&N, etc. It was trouble free.

Oh yeah, had a couple HD...

First was a 1948 Panhead in 1964.

Next and last was a 1954 Panhead in 1971.

When you own an old HD, you are soon to become a mechanic or a hitch hiker. :animal_rooster:

I've ridden and raced for years. Have raced a Duc and an Aprilia Mille, prefer the Mille to be totally honest! I'm 6ft 4" and like Pete, have issues with Ducati's clip on placements!!

I've raced GSXR's, ZX10's, 916, Mille, CBR and a ZX6R, none of them came close to the K4 GSXR racebike I had, followed closely by my GSXR1000 Ltd Ed K4.

Some pics of the last run I ever went on, few Ducs in the pics, including the brand new (at the time) 1098, an MV, a Mille and loads of other top bikes, only one that could hang onto me was the Fila 999 (it's rider was as braindead as me to be fair) and a ZX10 ridden by an ex racer. 1098 went home early because it started to spit with rain!! lol, think that says it all about Ducs!!

Nejad, you should try the MV Brutale if you're looking for a nice naked bike or the Aprilia naked version of the Mille, both awesome machines!! If that offer for the Triple is still there grab it with both hands!! You will be in love with the Trumpet after the first ride!!

post-18919-0-44231600-1300804626.jpg

post-18919-0-89632200-1300804775.jpg

post-18919-0-61080300-1300804864.jpg

post-18919-0-67946800-1300804923.jpg

post-18919-0-93389000-1300805042.jpg

post-18919-0-90694900-1300806337.jpg

And finally my baby on it's own, it's been a bad boy!! :D

post-18919-0-25570900-1300805571.jpg

On the drive after cleaning it from that run!

post-18919-0-09241400-1300805783.jpg

post-18919-0-78324600-1300805797.jpg

Still have the Gixxer, refuse to let it go. Also still have a CBR600 and a very cool MotoGP rep Kwaker.

Ride it like you stole it boys!!

Sixx :bones:

Edited by nikki6

Since my 2-Wheel brother has chimmed in as I knew he would... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My Duc Eater...

Turn6BlindTurnDownHill-2-1.jpg

I need to trackdown the picture I have of a guy setting the rear wheel bearing of his 916 back into the wheel with a hammer and JB Weld. Damn thing came out during a street ride around VIR! :rofl:

Hahahaha, knew you wouldn't far behind me dude!! Come on, I know you have way cooler shots of you and the RC51 than that!!

Show the guys how to ride!!

Nice sounding monster aanival!! The matt black is badassed! Check out the Ducati website, they have the 898Evo in matt black too, it sounds amazing!!

Edited by nikki6

Hahahaha, knew you wouldn't far behind me dude!! Come on, I know you have way cooler shots of you and the RC51 than that!!

Show the guys how to ride!!

Nice sounding monster aanival!! The matt black is badassed! Check out the Ducati website, they have the 898Evo in matt black too, it sounds amazing!!

Hahahaha! I don't know man...that was from a off camber downhill blind turn. How bout knee down...Need to find my pics of backing it into turn 1 at Jennings where smoke is coming of the pavement and rear wheel and my elbow is about 2mm from touching the track. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

KneeDown.jpg

RaceinFL.jpg

Edited by Bike Mike