When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to determine a crystal (tropic) is gen? or crown?

dutchguy2

I just bought this watch and the former owner claimed the crystal was replaced with a gen crystal. I would like to know if this is true because it would set the value of this watch in an other perspective and it is maybe a good base for further modding.

Second question is what you think of the crown.

foto37.jpg

foto36.jpg

foto35.jpg

foto38.jpg

foto39.jpg

Thanks for looking.

It's hard to tell but that looks like a gen "service replacement" tropic 39 crystal. It's a little flatter than the "superdome" t39. The sidewalls look tall because the SD is wearing a thin Submariner bezel. The Sea Dweller piece is much thicker.

Here's mine with the (gen) service replacement t39 and (gen) thicker bezel.

P9250055.JPG

It's hard to tell but that looks like a gen "service replacement" tropic 39 crystal. It's a little flatter than the "superdome" t39. The sidewalls look tall because the SD is wearing a thin Submariner bezel. The Sea Dweller piece is much thicker.

Here's mine with the (gen) service replacement t39 and (gen) thicker bezel.

Thank you. If I look at the same angle as the watch in your picture it is exactly the samen.

On more question, my watch with a 1665 case should have an other bezel? Same as yours?

Crystal looks good. Check your hole diameter....

Of what?

EDIT* ahh, you mean the lugholes!?

yes they are still to small. There is actually more wrong, like the dial, bezel inlay, Crown Guards. Just trying to figure out if a complete make over would make any sense on this watch.