When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice needed on Josh 1655 crystal replacement

alfe

Just building up to my first mod by replacing crystal on my new Josh 1655 Explorer 11

Some of the threads indicate this will 'not' be easy and I was wondering if there is a 'best' crystal for this.

I looked at the Clark 25-116 initially but many say they have had trouble getting the ring and bezel back on because it is too wide, I looked at the Sternkrauz at the Cousins site and am even more confused because there are two sizes of 116 crystal - (0300mm and 0302mm).

Anyone know which is the right size for Josh's watch?

Also, are the date mags on these as good as gen i.e. 3x

Most grateful as always for any help.

Alf

Thanks Andy, very helpful - I worked out that the Clark and Sterkreutz crystals were 0.13mm wider outer diameter than the crystal on the josh 1655 but I would think a decent press should get the bezel on. I don't want to start shaving the crystal or bezel if I can help it - might go too far!

"I worked out that the Clark and Sterkreutz crystals were 0.13mm wider outer diameter than the crystal on the josh 1655 but I would think a decent press should get the bezel on."

This might work if the crystal is a little bit loose on the case but if it is tight on the case with no room to squeeze down, it might crack.

You could buy three crystals (one to use, two for spares) the same size and then have the bezel machined to fit them properly.

I have a 1655 from 'Paul' (Abay etc) and a 116 will not fit but a 127 fits fine. I had to lower the profile by sanding it down a little so it did not look like a top hat. The 'Paul' 1655 case was probably based on a submariner of some sort.

I posted the specs of the case on TRC:

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/index.php?showtopic=26983

(I was 'Rick' member 43, 11-26-02 until a server meltdown, then 'jimmythree' on TRC)

I have a cousins/Sternkreuz 116 fitted on my Josh 1655 and it is fine. Fit of crystal onto case was straightforward. Fit of bezel ring over crystal was a little more difficult.

Funny thing is I have had two of these 1655's from Josh and on the second I was able to fit a Clark 116, but could not get the Cousins 116 to work??? :wounded1:

The fit of the bezel ring over the clark was also a tight fit and I had to take a tiny surface off the inside of the ring - only microns, then lubed the ring before pressing down. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 5 years later...