When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old school PAM063,

Mickey Padge

Managed to pick up an old school PAM063 with ETA2893 movement, although I totally didn't expect that when buying the watch, I thought it was a modified 2836. So when opening the case back I got a shock to see the Panerai engraved true Swiss GMT movement! :lol:

The watch was pretty much stock condition, aside from a ground lever pin and some messy hands, and in my mind ready and waiting for Domi's magic, I just needed the parts. So I ordered a set of hands and one piece crystal from DSN, expressing the need for the hands to be matte finish, DSN delivered without fail. I also ordered a Taka date wheel for a "2892" movement, which isn't quite correct, but I thought it should have the same teeth gearing? The last part was a T crown and a sort though my parts bin for a lever ;)

Now Domi has been crazy busy lately, and all the parts sitting there for a while got me thinking, how hard can this be? I have a steady hand and really good vision close up ( which is why I am so fussy with my watches :p ) I can see all the details without a loupe. I have messed up enough watches to have learnt from my mistakes, surely?

So I cracked open the watch with some trepidation and set to removing the hands and dial. Everything went well without a hitch, the date disc change was also straight forward (although the new date sits a tiny fraction lower than the original, slightly raised 2893 disc). Only two tiny screws needed touching, and a couple of parts/gears to align, next was putting back the dial and new hands, and the crystal swap, it all went so smooth I shocked myself! Must have taken about an hour, maybe less? All I really used was a tiny screw driver, some rodico putty, and some cut short, soft plastic toothpicks :p

Anyway, please judge for yourself, pictures click to expand!

dsc04028m.th.jpgdsc04029g.th.jpgdsc04030i.th.jpg

dsc04032cg.th.jpgdsc04033ix.th.jpgdsc04034.th.jpg

dsc04035b.th.jpgdsc04037d.th.jpgdsc04039l.th.jpg

dsc04029z.jpg

There you have the finished watch on a Taikonaut strap. The DSN crystal has a blue AR coating, which may not be accurate, but I am fine with, the date mag is really good. The date sits a tiny bit lower than it should, but on the wrist it looks fine, and may even help increase the magnification? The crown and tube don't match 100%, so the crown has some lateral play, again, no big deal for me, I don't get my watches wet. The replacement lever clicks home really well, and I popped a bit of rubber wire in the lever pin to stop it flopping about.....

What do you guys think? I took a risk, quite a big one really, but it turned out well. I am happy with my handiwork, and now the watch has a personal attachment that I have never really hand before ^_^

Comments and observations welcome! B)

very cool indeed, you're gonna put Domi outta business :lol:...I have the same 63, but with some other parts...but in the end, it's my favorite PAM after the 29b and 57c...my favorite are sweep second PAMs

So the DSN crystal you used is his latest version with the 6mm cyclops? Is it a DSN or EL case?

Edited by btocamelo

The crystal has good mag....my stock one has no AR, but the cyclops is a little sketchy....I would have to order one of these from DSN and see how the cyclops compares.

Also, waiting for Taka...he's suppose to put out an actual 2893 DW? (although the 2892 will fit)

hehe, I don't think Domi has anything to worry about! :lol:

Pretty sure it's the old school Honpo/EL case, and yes, this is DSN's latest one piece 6mm crystal....

Very good professional job! And no waiting, shipping, or post to deal with!! :drinks:

Yeah, that's the big plus side, Domi has had a few of my watches for a couple of months now, I think he's swamped!

Now I know I can deal with the basics of 28xx watches, as a result I fixed the keyless works in another of my watches too. 7750 based movements however are far too complicated! ;)

The crystal has good mag....my stock one has no AR, but the cyclops is a little sketchy....I would have to order one of these from DSN and see how the cyclops compares.

Also, waiting for Taka...he's suppose to put out an actual 2893 DW? (although the 2892 will fit)

The crystal from DSN is great value, and came professionally sealed in a tiny paper bag with a gasket. The date mag is internally inside the crystal, and looks really crisp :)

I heard Taka was bringing out a 2893 disc, but the 2892 works fine for me, not fussed that it sits a little lower, the magnification works a treat....

Beautiful, and what great luck finding the 2893 in there :D

Any tips on working those blasted tiny screws - they still take me ages to finally get properly in position, and are really one of the only reasons I don't do more A7750 work :( Of course age, failing eyesight, and bad nerves don't help either :lol:

Beautiful, and what great luck finding the 2893 in there :D

Any tips on working those blasted tiny screws - they still take me ages to finally get properly in position, and are really one of the only reasons I don't do more A7750 work :( Of course age, failing eyesight, and bad nerves don't help either :lol:

Have you tried the correct size screw drivers.... Yes.... Radical ..I know !!! :p :p

Nice to see you Doc :D

Have you tried the correct size screw drivers.... Yes.... Radical ..I know !!! :p :p

Ha, ha, very funny :p Yes I use the right sized screwdrivers. The problem I have is getting the screw perpendicular to the screw hole, so I don't send the screw flying when I touch the head of the driver to the slot ...

Ha, ha, very funny :p Yes I use the right sized screwdrivers. The problem I have is getting the screw perpendicular to the screw hole, so I don't send the screw flying when I touch the head of the driver to the slot ...

Agh !! The perpindicular manoeuvre.... a classic !!! Its something that requires great skill and superior knowledge and expertise...

So what ever you do...........

Dont ask me :)

Hehe, I find a tiny amount of rodico putty lets me position scews, and a little counter clockwise turn lets the threads align before turning any screw ;)

Great idea! Gotta give it a try. Just better make sure the rodico doesn't come detached and make its way into the movement :lol:

I think most modded, old school Honpo/EL case, 2893 based Pam's are in the $1000+ range?

I believe w0lf mentioned seeing them sell for $1200 +

I've got all the pieces finally to put one together, but wanted to get a regular watch smith (I'm way too much of an amateur still :D ) to do the final assembly, as this will definitely be a long term keeper. Unfortunately, I've fallen out of grace with The Zigmeister, and can't pin down anyone else just yet .... so who knows I may make the attempt myself ...

I found the whole upgrade quite simple, nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be, I say go for it! :)

You got lucky, as yours came with a 2893 from the start. With mine, I had to buy a new 2893, then source some replacement gears (taller pinions needed), which means more work to do with the movement. Since it is a factory sealed 2893, I'd rather not risk contaminating it with my amateurish attempts :)

Edited by Drulee