When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quartz with continuously sweeping second hand

gran

Well I knew about the fantastic Spring-Drive and the old tuning fork movements had smooth sweep of their seconds hand but I did not expect any additional developments on this

but a post over at oldRWG by Neil educated me that there are still for sale or have been some replicas with smooth sweeping second hand quartz movements :o

Do any of you have one of these smooth sweep quartz replicas and are they any good?

I also learned that the Bulova Precisionist Champlain wrist watches have Quartz precisionist bulova cal p102 10 movements with continuously sweeping second hand

384463d1297017639-fs-bulova-precisionist-champlain-96b132-%24375-dsc_0374.jpg

yes old history those ROLEXEs that ticked like a quartz

besides

"Quartz with 'smooth sweep' second hand according to Baldrick at RWG"

194MOVADOCHRONOGRAPH6copy.jpg

"This was another 'smoothy' rep, you don't often see, RADO! " according to Baldrick at RWG

121RADO5.jpg

You can file this under "black helicopters" but I thought I would share this. My local favorite AD and I were having a chat and it came up about the whole quartz sweeping second hand and whether he thought it was cool and whether he thought ISA movements (one manufacturer of said movements) was a good movement.

I struck a nerve with him. He seems to think the Chinese side of the ISA group is a major supplier to the replica/copy watch biz. He seems to think the sweep quartz movement was made to fool people. I changed the topic because he was actually upset and he is nice guy.

What do you guys/gals think?(written by doomedron at bdwf)

http://bdwf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64473

but that is just for the chrono seconds hand it seems

Others add that:

If you want a quartz-controlled movement (non-chrono) which doesn't step once per second, then the choices are propabaly limited to:

- Seiko Spring-Drive (mechanical movement with a fly-wheel escapement controlled by a quartz circuit)

- vintage Bulova Accuquartz (transistor tuning-fork movement controlled by a quartz circuit)

- original Rolex Quartz or other vintage Swiss with Beta-21 (quartz movement with 'resonant reed' drive system)

- original Timex Quartz (Dynabeat contact-switch electromechanical controlled by a quartz circuit)

- vintage Luch Kvarts (transistorized electromechanical controlled by a quartz circuit)

From what I understand, yon can make a quartz movement sweep smoothly but it greatly reduces the battery life. Every pulse in the sweep takes a bite out of the battery.

so what have bulova done this time? more batteries?

From what I understand, yon can make a quartz movement sweep smoothly but it greatly reduces the battery life. Every pulse in the sweep takes a bite out of the battery.

so what have bulova done this time? more batteries?

OK, I remember that info from TTK - something about a micro-stepper on the quartz module?

I just have to ask...is Baldrick TTK? Please let's not start a flame session here, thanks.

My watchmaker buddy just got a few Bulova Precisionist for sale in his shop...I must say they look great, sweep smooth at butter and are very well priced! I was really impressed on how well the second hand moved across the dial...smoother then even some very high beat (>28.8K) Gens that I have seen. Think I am going to pick on up as a beater watch.

Edited by Bike Mike

OK, I remember that info from TTK - something about a micro-stepper on the quartz module?

I just have to ask...is Baldrick TTK? Please let's not start a flame session here, thanks.

I have no idea...but I like the idea about the flames :bangin:

My watchmaker buddy just got a few Bulova Precisionist for sale in his shop...I must say they look great, sweep smooth at butter and are very well priced! Think I am going to pick on up as a beater watch. I was really impressed on how well the second hand moved across the dial...smoother then even some very high beat (>28.8K) Gens that I have seen.

yes indeed

I think I have what their movement looks like (Asian) pluss they have solved the high electrivity usage problem (battery life 1/3 of normal lifespan tough

maybe this is the movement?

http://www.bestofwatch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=22#p22

A 3 volt battery that powers a Thermo-compensated ETA perpetual for 8 years or a Seiko 8Fxx for 10 years, here it's rated at 3 years, probably because of the 16 bps of the seconds hand!

Calibre P102.12 (12.5 ligne) for men’s watches and the P112.10 (10 ligne) for women’s watches

Quartz frequency is 262144Hz (versus 32768 Hz on a standard quartz, i.e. 8x more here)

P1090866.JPG

P1090869.JPG

P1090870.JPG

P1090873.JPG

To sum it up :

- Movement reference : P102

- Jewels : 8

- Made in Japan

Yes Rima I remember these sweeping quartz with micro-stepper being sold years ago, I never saw one in action so I will just have to take the word of the sellers on this.

As to your second question, it's a pretty safe bet.

Ken

My watchmaker buddy just got a few Bulova Precisionist for sale in his shop...I must say they look great, sweep smooth at butter and are very well priced! I was really impressed on how well the second hand moved across the dial...smoother then even some very high beat (>28.8K) Gens that I have seen. Think I am going to pick on up as a beater watch.

I agree Mike. I had the chance to try one on at a local jewlery shop. It was the Bulova precisionist Champlain titanium,on sale for around $375.00 I believe. Not a bad looking watch at all, with a very smooth sweep,well made to boot.

I'm glad you started this thread, Gran, since I've been seriously considering a Precisionist for the past few months. On the one hand, you get that smooth sweep at a fraction of the cost of, say, the cheapest Spring Drive. And in that same hand, you also get claimed accuracy on par with a Citizen Chronomaster, again without the high price tag of a TC quartz or the quartzy tick-tick.

This would be a slam dunk for me, except for one thing: I'm not crazy about the way ANY of the Precisionist models look! Maybe if someone could stuff the movement/hands into a generic pilot's watch case...

I picked up one of the Timex with sweeping second hand recently. (In a batch of watches.) Eventually managed to get it running.

I have had it for sale in my market shop with no interest at $100, so they are obviously worth (a lot) less than that!

Just a curiosity IMO.

Offshore

• Like 1

I picked up one of the Timex with sweeping second hand recently. (In a batch of watches.) Eventually managed to get it running.

I have had it for sale in my market shop with no interest at $100, so they are obviously worth (a lot) less than that!

Just a curiosity IMO.

Offshore

Those timex were cool

But back to our age...Bulovas new one might be more than a mere curiosity this time around

My real question here: Has any "smooth" sweep really been used in recent replicas? Can anyone confirm this? I just have second hand ( :yu: ) information on this.