When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Im a medical student wanting to buy my first rep, help would be appriciated! ,

MagicDrumSticks

I am REALLY torn between the blue seamaster planet ocean, seamaster chrono and speedmaster pro.

I've read all the guides on this site, RWI and repgeek but I still feel like it would be wise if the knowledgeable members helped me.

Here are some points which are still unclear. I think these questions are common to many users and would clear things up for a lot of users.

1.) Asian movements are basically "lower quality" Swiss movements right?

2.) ETA mean Swiss?

3.) The UPO is the best omega replica Avilable but my wrist is about 6.5 inches in circumference, so wouldn't he 45mm version look too big? I was considering the 42 mm seamaster but as far as I understand, it's not as good of a rep as the 45 UPO.

4.) what about chronographs? Do they break easily and are they good looking reps? Which model is good in omega?

5.) What is DG4813?

Can I get a very good SWEEP MOVEMENT rep in the 100 dollar range? I want a very good and authentic looking rep because I'm a doctor and need to leave a good impression, but medical school is EXTREMELY expensive and it might be out of reach for me to get and expensive rep. Still please give me cheap and expensive options so I have something to work with.

As as I've read, Joshua has the best omega reps. However, this may have changed recently so please give me the most reliable dealers.

Sorry for the long post, just want to make everything crystal clear.

Also to anyone that helps me, free clinic visits for life!!!!!

I guess the UPO is allright. Probably a very good buy.

Asian movements like the DG4813 are good. no problem 28.800 beat so fine there.

ETA = Swiss but then some can not tell asian from swiss so sometimes misrepresented

Do not get an Omega chronograph (before you know your way around RWG)

Just do it

Gunnar :drinks:

I am REALLY torn between the blue seamaster planet ocean, seamaster chrono and speedmaster pro.

I don't think there is a blue planet ocean, if there is it is a fantasy model...i.e. real version doesn't exist!

Do you mean the seamaster professional i.e. bond watch?

If you are getting a planet ocean get either black bezel/white numbers, black bezel/orange number or orange bezel/orange numbers.

The old seamsaster chrono is a great rep but it is a monster sized watch and also difficult to find...the newer ones (raised logos are meant to be pretty good though.) The speedmaster pro has never been accurate...unfortunately.

1.) Asian movements are basically "lower quality" Swiss movements right?

No, asian movements are either chinese clones of swiss movements i.e. Asian Eta 2824 or Asian 7750 or clones of japanese myota movements i.e DG 2812(asian 21j).

2.) ETA mean Swiss?

No ETA was/is a Basque separatist terrorist organisation seeking to gain independence....Oh wait....

Yes ETA is a company that makes movements for the swiss watch industry. i.e. Swiss ETA 2824 / ETA 2892 / Valjoux 7750.

3.) The UPO is the best omega replica Avilable but my wrist is about 6.5 inches in circumference, so wouldn't he 45mm version look too big? I was considering the 42 mm seamaster but as far as I understand, it's not as good of a rep as the 45 UPO.

Depends on whether you can pull it off but tbh, I've a 6.75" wrist and I find the fit of the 42mm to be much more suitable than the bigger version. 42mm is very similarly repped to the 45mm these days, someone who has both might pipe in and clarify but afaik the only difference is the omega logo is better placed.

4.) what about chronographs? Do they break easily and are they good looking reps? Which model is good in omega?

Chronos can be unreliable at times, usually they need a service before they can operate up to speed, the asian 7750 is not too bad, it's variations of this like A7753 that can be a minefield. tbh I'd echo above and stick with non chrono for a bit until you spread out shall we say. A good omega chrono rep seems to be the speedmaster date. It is one of the more accurate looking omegas.

5.) What is DG4813?

It is just a variation of the DG2813 (asian 21j) movement that beats slightly faster than the dg2813, 8 beats per second to the standard asian 21j 6 beats a second.

It looks more like an ETA 2824 in operation.(If you've got good eyes!)

Can I get a very good SWEEP MOVEMENT rep in the 100 dollar range? I want a very good and authentic looking rep because I'm a doctor and need to leave a good impression, but medical school is EXTREMELY expensive and it might be out of reach for me to get and expensive rep. Still please give me cheap and expensive options so I have something to work with.

The million dollar question, yes, you can, some very good low priced reps, do a search on the forum for best budget reps and you would get a better idea. Very hard

to say off hand what would suit you, everybody has different tastes, some cheap rolex sub reps can be very good.

As as I've read, Joshua has the best omega reps. However, this may have changed recently so please give me the most reliable dealers.

Sorry for the long post, just want to make everything crystal clear.

Also to anyone that helps me, free clinic visits for life!!!!!

Josh is good, but most of the dealers have stuff from the same factories, prices and QC can vary, I'd say stick with one of the main dealers for a bit and then shop around. tony at asian7750 is also a very reliable dealer.

I guess the UPO is allright. Probably a very good buy.

Asian movements like the DG4813 are good. no problem 28.800 beat so fine there.

ETA = Swiss but then some can not tell asian from swiss so sometimes misrepresented

Do not get an Omega chronograph (before you know your way around RWG)

Just do it

Gunnar :drinks:

Thanks for the heads up!

The Omega Seamaster 300 Chronograph is a great rep (3/6/9 subdial spacing) Some trusted dealers have it for $180, I paid that for mine used and am very pleased with it

PM me for address for Adderall and Quaalude Rx!

Haha thats funny because I take adderall (or Ritalin) to study sometimes. Actually a lot of med students preach about how unethical it is to their non med friends and then secretly take it themselves. Why do you want Quaalude? Quaalude = date rape. Whatever floats your boat man o.O

I don't think there is a blue planet ocean, if there is it is a fantasy model...i.e. real version doesn't exist!

Do you mean the seamaster professional i.e. bond watch?

If you are getting a planet ocean get either black bezel/white numbers, black bezel/orange number or orange bezel/orange numbers.

The old seamsaster chrono is a great rep but it is a monster sized watch and also difficult to find...the newer ones (raised logos are meant to be pretty good though.) The speedmaster pro has never been accurate...unfortunately.

No, asian movements are either chinese clones of swiss movements i.e. Asian Eta 2824 or Asian 7750 or clones of japanese myota movements i.e DG 2812(asian 21j).

No ETA was/is a Basque separatist terrorist organisation seeking to gain independence....Oh wait....

Yes ETA is a company that makes movements for the swiss watch industry. i.e. Swiss ETA 2824 / ETA 2892 / Valjoux 7750.

Depends on whether you can pull it off but tbh, I've a 6.75" wrist and I find the fit of the 42mm to be much more suitable than the bigger version. 42mm is very similarly repped to the 45mm these days, someone who has both might pipe in and clarify but afaik the only difference is the omega logo is better placed.

Chronos can be unreliable at times, usually they need a service before they can operate up to speed, the asian 7750 is not too bad, it's variations of this like A7753 that can be a minefield. tbh I'd echo above and stick with non chrono for a bit until you spread out shall we say. A good omega chrono rep seems to be the speedmaster date. It is one of the more accurate looking omegas.

It is just a variation of the DG2813 (asian 21j) movement that beats slightly faster than the dg2813, 8 beats per second to the standard asian 21j 6 beats a second.

It looks more like an ETA 2824 in operation.(If you've got good eyes!)

The million dollar question, yes, you can, some very good low priced reps, do a search on the forum for best budget reps and you would get a better idea. Very hard

to say off hand what would suit you, everybody has different tastes, some cheap rolex sub reps can be very good.

Josh is good, but most of the dealers have stuff from the same factories, prices and QC can vary, I'd say stick with one of the main dealers for a bit and then shop around. tony at asian7750 is also a very reliable dealer.

Wow thanks for the reply!

I don't know if it's the planet ocean but the omega watch with the bluish "wave" pattern and had a seamonster on the back. I thought the bond one had 007 written on it? I don't want that one but the blue wavy pattern one. Are there accurate reps of that or no? I saw this watch in an omega showroom and it was around 3k USD

What's the main diff between the more expensive and cheaper reps? At what price does the cost become a waste and the diffenrce negligible?

Thanks

What's the main diff between the more expensive and cheaper reps? At what price does the cost become a waste and the diffenrce negligible?

1. Expensive as a rule means a more expensive movement (such as a genuine ETA 7750) + Better details, has AR, better bracelets, clasps and the like...but no rules are without exeptions

2. If you can not tell the difference between the replicas and you like the watch then it does not really matter and you are better off buying the less expensive variant (in the short term...until one becomes more knowledgable)

3.My rule is that do not buy a replica that cost more than $350 (unless it is modified/improved by a fellow RWG member or the like)

This would be a suitable one for a young man in your situation in my opinion

http://www.1-pc8838.com/0omse00051-planet-ocean-ssss-swiss2824-p-9522.html

The bluish wave pattern is a seamaster professional (smp) the versions that have 007 on it are special editions and some have flat gloss dials/some have gun barrel grip dial. The standard version smp has wavy dial, it is a classic these days and the wave pattern defines it tbh(but that's another story :) )

As for good copys, I've never seen good reps of the special edition versions with dial variations, there are a few of them about but I don't think there was ever much demand for them....even in the gen world. The wavy dial version has not bad reps, try wbk (stan) for a reasonable deal if you want one of these cheap. Tbh, I've always had issues than I couldn't get over with smp reps, they look good, wbks rep looks good for around 100 dollars but stuff like misplaced pearl on smp reps just did my head in and I eventually bought the gen. Sorry not much help on that but I the smp is a watch that was never repped brilliantly imo and you are probably better off sticking with a PO if you want more accuracy. I know that is not much help but just my 2c.

Diff bet expensive reps is usually the movement, most of the time more effort goes into better finishing on the higher priced versions aswell but that is not always the case. For instance the cheaper PO now has identical finishing to the eta version, just cheaper movement. However it largely depends on the watch, some will have huge differences such sapphire vs mineral crystal, AR vs no ar etc. The best thing you can do in this instance nail down exactly what what you want (this is always going to be subjective depening on taste) and then is do research on that particular watch to find out exactly what versions are available and then process from there.

For instance there are spectacularly accurate hublots reps around, but I wouldn't wear a hublot if you offered to pay for it for me so I've absolutely no interest in them as they are hideous. Decide on your taste first, then go with what is available. If you like the PO even chrono then tbh you could do worse. Also the handwound speedmaster pro is not a bad looking watch but I went and bought the gen of that aswell as it is not quite up to par with ....anally retentive people like me.

:D

Not sure if I helped or just confused the situation more :D

There wasn't, until about a month ago. The 2011 Planet Ocean is titanium and has a dark grayish-blue dial and ceramic bezel. I'd love to see one up close, because it looks stunning in some shots, but not so hot in others.

I figure a rep is just around the corner i.e. 2014 or thereabouts!

1. Expensive as a rule means a more expensive movement (such as a genuine ETA 7750) + Better details, has AR, better bracelets, clasps and the like...but no rules are without exeptions

2. If you can not tell the difference between the replicas and you like the watch then it does not really matter and you are better off buying the less expensive variant (in the short term...until one becomes more knowledgable)

3.My rule is that do not buy a replica that cost more than $350 (unless it is modified/improved by a fellow RWG member or the like)

This would be a suitable one for a young man in your situation in my opinion

I only want the outside to look as close as possible, and the clasp and everything needs to be the same "alligator type" (sorry don't know actual name) as the gen Omegas. Also, sweep movement and lume. I'm sure I'm asking for a lot here but I might as well get a good quality one since I won't be buying another for a while.

Also, thanks for the link but it's sending me to the main front page for some reason...

The bluish wave pattern is a seamaster professional (smp) the versions that have 007 on it are special editions and some have flat gloss dials/some have gun barrel grip dial. The standard version smp has wavy dial, it is a classic these days and the wave pattern defines it tbh(but that's another story :) )

As for good copys, I've never seen good reps of the special edition versions with dial variations, there are a few of them about but I don't think there was ever much demand for them....even in the gen world. The wavy dial version has not bad reps, try wbk (stan) for a reasonable deal if you want one of these cheap. Tbh, I've always had issues than I couldn't get over with smp reps, they look good, wbks rep looks good for around 100 dollars but stuff like misplaced pearl on smp reps just did my head in and I eventually bought the gen. Sorry not much help on that but I the smp is a watch that was never repped brilliantly imo and you are probably better off sticking with a PO if you want more accuracy. I know that is not much help but just my 2c.

Diff bet expensive reps is usually the movement, most of the time more effort goes into better finishing on the higher priced versions aswell but that is not always the case. For instance the cheaper PO now has identical finishing to the eta version, just cheaper movement. However it largely depends on the watch, some will have huge differences such sapphire vs mineral crystal, AR vs no ar etc. The best thing you can do in this instance nail down exactly what what you want (this is always going to be subjective depening on taste) and then is do research on that particular watch to find out exactly what versions are available and then process from there.

For instance there are spectacularly accurate hublots reps around, but I wouldn't wear a hublot if you offered to pay for it for me so I've absolutely no interest in them as they are hideous. Decide on your taste first, then go with what is available. If you like the PO even chrono then tbh you could do worse. Also the handwound speedmaster pro is not a bad looking watch but I went and bought the gen of that aswell as it is not quite up to par with ....anally retentive people like me.

:D

Not sure if I helped or just confused the situation more :D

Man I envy you for having a gen! I would get one but money is a real problem for me right now and I'll probably have to ask my parents for this one :\ I tend to be anal about my things just like you so it's all good. Give me the most accurate reps you know because I already have a junk omega quartz but the logo is all crooked and stuff and the clasp is a normal type like that found on timex watches.

I have a 6,75 wrist and can pull off the 45 or 42 just fine. Don't worry about that.

Well I measured with a strip of paper and then measured the paper with a ruler, so it might not be completely accurate :p For some reason "45" just screams "huge."

There wasn't, until about a month ago. The 2011 Planet Ocean is titanium and has a dark grayish-blue dial and ceramic bezel. I'd love to see one up close, because it looks stunning in some shots, but not so hot in others.

I figure a rep is just around the corner i.e. 2014 or thereabouts!

So it takes that long to produce a rep or were you being sarcastic here? I can't tell based on your monochrome font :p

So it takes that long to produce a rep or were you being sarcastic here? I can't tell based on your monochrome font :p

In all seriousness... :g:

(That's my serious emoticon.)

...I haven't got a clue. You would think a minor tweaking of an existing rep would be no big deal. However, it's been a year and a half since the Liquid Metal PO was released, and all we've seen is a low-end rep with a glossy dial. But the rep factories are notoriously inscrutable, so you never know they're planning. Titanium PO? Yes, please!

If you put accuracy at the first place:

Tag Heuer Link chrono/non chrono (if still available, I have no clue honestly)

Tag Heuer Carrera 41mm (43mm version would be a little too much for your wristsize imho)

Ebel Discovery is also very accurate and it screams quality

There is so much great information in this thread for you to digest.

But honestly, I think the best bet for you in your situation is the 127$ 42mm Planet Ocean from Josh. It is very accurate for the price, it's comfy, looks gen, and believably affordable for a young man in your position.

That will get you started in this hobby and keep you satisfied for a long time. To fully understand all the info in this thread even, ...takes time!

That's my best shot.

Welcome, and good luck with whatever you choose!

Please excuse the poor Iphone pic..the watch looks much better in person.

IMG_0962.jpg

If you put accuracy at the first place:Tag Heuer Link chrono/non chrono (if still available, I have no clue honestly)Tag Heuer Carrera 41mm (43mm version would be a little too much for your wristsize imho)Ebel Discovery is also very accurate and it screams quality

There is so much great information in this thread for you to digest.But honestly, I think the best bet for you in your situation is the 127$ 42mm Planet Ocean from Josh. It is very accurate for the price, it's comfy, looks gen, and believably affordable for a young man in your position.That will get you started in this hobby and keep you satisfied for a long time. To fully understand all the info in this thread even, ...takes time!.../

These are all excellent suggestions, they would suit your situation perfectly, not only are they all accurate but they also fit your position in life at the moment, young med student overwhelmed with fees would probably not have a Rolex on their wrist unless they were from a certain social background (i.e. stinking rich!) ...and if you were that then you would have the clothes and car to match the watch most likely. So best to stick with suggestions above as they can be pulled off reasonably realistically.

I would also add to look at the Tag Aquaracer 500m rep as it is a really accurate one. Also the speedmaster date is accurate as mentioned above.

As far as acquiring gens go, then by trading up and saving and generally looking for deals then they can be picked up 2nd hand at reasonable prices, saying that though omega prices have gone through the roof of late.

I picked mine up because I wasn't happy with the reps of these particular watches and they would've been all time grail gens, especially the speedy pro and smps. Saying that I wore a rep of the speedy pro for about 4 years before I got the gen. I knew it was a watch I had to have gen. But in most cases I'm happy with reps if they are at least decently done, there are some good ones around and it takes your own reading to really zone in on them.

For instance in another thread I was looking for an Omega Railmaster, this is a watch that I love but see no real reason to buy the gen 2nd hand for $2000, the rep is extremely accurate looking to the gen on the wrist.

The Omega SMP is a gen that can be gotten pretty cheap. If your willing to go for quartz, you can probably get a nice

used one for under a $1000. Check out Timezone or other gen forums.

I think the new 42mm Planet Oceans are very nice, you can get one with 21J mov't for about $150.

Good luck.

PS: I'm a Neurologist myself, but I lost my job because I logged too many hours in here while

taking Provigil and flunked my boards!! Jeje, only kidding man- welcome

If you put accuracy at the first place:

Tag Heuer Link chrono/non chrono (if still available, I have no clue honestly)

Tag Heuer Carrera 41mm (43mm version would be a little too much for your wristsize imho)

Ebel Discovery is also very accurate and it screams quality

I saw the Carrera and really liked it. But which one do you mean? They have caliber 36, caliber 17 etc

There is so much great information in this thread for you to digest.

But honestly, I think the best bet for you in your situation is the 127$ 42mm Planet Ocean from Josh. It is very accurate for the price, it's comfy, looks gen, and believably affordable for a young man in your position.

That will get you started in this hobby and keep you satisfied for a long time. To fully understand all the info in this thread even, ...takes time!

That's my best shot.

Welcome, and good luck with whatever you choose!

Please excuse the poor Iphone pic..the watch looks much better in person.

Hey thanks for that! Yes the users on this site are quite knowledgeable and give me a feeling of security before my purchase. I like the dial on the watch you suggested but is that the belt that the watch comes with? Not to sound picky but I don't like the belt so much; I prefer the belts from the gen (with matching clasp)

These are all excellent suggestions, they would suit your situation perfectly, not only are they all accurate but they also fit your position in life at the moment, young med student overwhelmed with fees would probably not have a Rolex on their wrist unless they were from a certain social background (i.e. stinking rich!) ...and if you were that then you would have the clothes and car to match the watch most likely. So best to stick with suggestions above as they can be pulled off reasonably realistically.

I would also add to look at the Tag Aquaracer 500m rep as it is a really accurate one. Also the speedmaster date is accurate as mentioned above.

As far as acquiring gens go, then by trading up and saving and generally looking for deals then they can be picked up 2nd hand at reasonable prices, saying that though omega prices have gone through the roof of late.

I picked mine up because I wasn't happy with the reps of these particular watches and they would've been all time grail gens, especially the speedy pro and smps. Saying that I wore a rep of the speedy pro for about 4 years before I got the gen. I knew it was a watch I had to have gen. But in most cases I'm happy with reps if they are at least decently done, there are some good ones around and it takes your own reading to really zone in on them.

For instance in another thread I was looking for an Omega Railmaster, this is a watch that I love but see no real reason to buy the gen 2nd hand for $2000, the rep is extremely accurate looking to the gen on the wrist.

What was wrong with the Omega reps, were they easy to pick out on the fakeness? I saw a genuine Aquaracer last month and it was amazing. I especially love the clear glass on the back that lets you see the movement; classic!

The Omega SMP is a gen that can be gotten pretty cheap. If your willing to go for quartz, you can probably get a nice

used one for under a $1000. Check out Timezone or other gen forums.

I think the new 42mm Planet Oceans are very nice, you can get one with 21J mov't for about $150.

Good luck.

PS: I'm a Neurologist myself, but I lost my job because I logged too many hours in here while

taking Provigil and flunked my boards!! Jeje, only kidding man- welcome

21J is similar to Asian 2824? All this terminology comfuses me and its hard to remember all of it after reading 800 pg books and barely remembering that :D I don't like quartz at ALL, I want an automatic no matter what.

Oh and don't worry, you can come work with me without a license, as long as you provide 80% of the investment towards our clinic :p

Try Narikka's 42mm PO's. SMP's suck balls IMNSHO , the world and his dog has em, don't follow the herd as they're going in the wrong direction, so get a PO

Me and my Cat don't have one however :p Plus I think the planet ocean looks too plain and doesn't really scream "expensive!" the SMP is great because of the unique wave pattern and such.

Do you have a pic of one of the 42mm PO's from Narikka? I would love to see a picture before making the leap. How much would it cost?

SMP chrono is very accurate (non-red version). Asian 5th Gen PO is very nice and its cheap.

About 200 bucks right?

The watch movement we most often refer to as the a21j is a copy of a Citizen (Miyota) japanese movement. It has a rough hand feel when you wind it.

The chinese ETA clones are almost exact copies of a swiss movement, and have a smooth buttery winding feel.

A21j has an indirectly driven seconds hand, ETA and clones are direct drive. You can see a stutter in the movement of most A21j seconds' hand due to this.

To expand on my comment, the A21j wind feel is so rough that you can hear a BUZZ in the gears when you wind it. ETA and Clone don't do that unless something is very wrong, I suppose.

Yup, I can hear a grinding noise, almost like someone's running a metal pen lightly across a table. It definitely feels (and sounds) as though there is some contact happening.

The sweep is fairly smooth, though it doesn't look completely continuous.

Anything else notably different before I start Goldbluming?