When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Rolex 16610 Submariner "Noobmariner"

By-Tor

...well...I disagree - there are only very few watches that have ejoyed such a long life as some of the Rolex models. The Submariner and the very similar Seadweller - especially - are timeless designs. They are rugged yet good looking watches which you can wear with anything from shorts to a tux. That is also why - after all this time - they basically still look the same. The real great designs are timeless and only need light updating every once in a while. It's a very good product - period.

If people use a watch (rep or gen) or a car to pretend they are what they consider to be a more "important" person....then it's certainly not the product's fault... Rolex pricing :yucky: is a totally different issue...

Hey I like them, too. I own a gen. But I don't wear it often because I don't care for the attention it gets - it just makes me feel silly. And I think it is just a fact that most people who own a Rolex don't even know what Patek is for example, and only own a Rolex because it is a Rolex. It's the name. You and I are not most people. That's all.

@ Ubi and Tribal,

1. It's past Neil's bedtime (Bangkok)

2. I don't think all of the Asian 21j's come from the same factory

Seagull, w/ a W/O by the balance- I have two w/ the gold movt

I have an ABC Watch Co- China- silver

TTK's movement has the fake colored gears and a different symbol by the balance wheel, also silver.

But It's all Chinese, so to speak, so who can be sure.

I also was under the impression that TTK's, TWG"s and EL's were from the same factory- I also suspected Paul's, but of course, I'd have to defer to TTK, since he's closer to the source. And TWG and EL have the ETA movts, as does Paul.

I've been reading this discussion with some interest. Today i received mine. I have a couple of Gens. I had to study the Gens to see if the rehaut is different. It is........but barely noticeable except to those obsessed by it.

Than I took it to my AD to size the bracelet. He was a little [censored] that I hadn't bought from him. Then I told him it was a rep. He laughed and "no it isn't. I can spot a rep a mile away" (LOL). When I convinced him he called over two other sales people. They could not find any flaws. They don't focus on the little details.

I was laughing and told him the Chinese are going to put them out of business. They were literally stunned.

So much for obsessing over the details.

You know elwopo.....you obviously have a beef

Well actually...yes I do. A "beef" (if you will) that I expressed to you in a private email. I sent you that email....not about the product I had received....but in regards to another product you had offered that I was interested in. In spite of receiving a disappointing product....I sincerely wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt...and considered another purchase...thinking that my negative experience might be some kind of fluke. I had only asked for your consideration.

if you don't like the watch send the [censored]ing thing back and I'll give you your money back......I hate whiny whinging moaning [censored]ers.....and that's waht you are.!

I'll allow for the fact that you may have had a bad day. If so....that's too bad...but tomorrow can always be better.

There's no need to take it to the level you might wish to. There is no need for such animosity over such a minor issue.

If you could be bothered to actually read your mail.....you would see that I clearly offered (privately) to send the item back to you....and told you clearly that if you (considering you to be a man of honor) believed my concerns to be invalid......you could keep the item, my money, and re-sell the item if you wished.

I'm not concerned about you stealing from me (my definition).

I'm only concerned about other members buying into the hype and spending their money when they may not realize what the ride could truly bring them.

At the end of the day....it's just a watch.....and not even a real one..... :D:p

I've been reading this discussion with some interest. Today i received mine. I have a couple of Gens. I had to study the Gens to see if the rehaut is different. It is........but barely noticeable except to those obsessed by it.

I guess I don't know what to say, because I've done the same exact thing and it was just smack me in the face different. You could, with a gen or two at your disposal, place them side by side and shoot some rehaut pics of them together on an equal plane. That'd really show off the rehaut difference. I think this pic of Bytor's shows it best, although it is still an inadequate comparison. Here we see the rehaut of the CN sub at a more "advantageous" angle because it isn't nearly as horizontal as the gen. Yet clearly you can see the rehaut difference anyhow. Put the two at the same angle and it'd be no contest.

I guess for people who can't see it, good for you!!! I wish I couldn't!!! Then I'd be happy with an easier to source watch!

131645-19042.jpg

Than I took it to my AD to size the bracelet. He was a little [censored] that I hadn't bought from him. Then I told him it was a rep. He laughed and "no it isn't. I can spot a rep a mile away" (LOL). When I convinced him he called over two other sales people. They could not find any flaws. They don't focus on the little details.

I was laughing and told him the Chinese are going to put them out of business. They were literally stunned.

So much for obsessing over the details.

What rep do you have exactly? From whom? I'm curious... Most ADs will smell a rep across the room... :bounce:

Better value than a tank of gas and a Big Mac Happy meal.......at $100 it's disposable....!

As for the debate about rehauts....etc....nobody I know.....can spot a fake of this quality fom a rep at a distance....put them side by side...and yes...you will notice the difference if you are familiar with subs......but to the casual owner / buyer.....no.....I have several friends here who own the genuine article.....they wouldn't know rehaut if it bit their ankle and introduced itself.......IT'S A $100 BUXX WATCH.....that keeps good time and has the magical 5 letters on the dial....nothing more than that....!

How do I get it from you???? :Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy:

@Chief: I agree, you're obsessed. :lol:

But of course you're right...there IS a small difference in the height of the "inner rehaut ring". But I think it's safe to say

that it's not any shallower than the TW case is deeper. The claim that the difference is "huge" is pretty wild. And

once again: most of the visual effect comes from the differently placed crystal which sits too low. I'd imagine it's

even more noticeable on the SeaDweller due to thicker glass.

If members prefer the deeper (equally inaccurate) case that's a different story. I suspect you obsess over this particular

detail because everyone here keeps talking about it. You didn't see these "rehaut discussions" before someone "invented"

the flaw. :) It was totally fu**ed up on the old reps though.

Is this angle better? (sorry about the lousy rep pic...didn't have enough light)

131666-19028.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

No fair Randy... you have the best Sub. :lol:

Enough of the "rehaut debate". You could comment this pearl instead. Is it any better?

Sorry about the garbage pics though. Let's just say I didn't really care how they turned out.

131691-19017.jpg

131691-19018.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

BT-

Pearl looks very good; especially in that 2nd pic! Nice and glossy...

Did you mod it?

Nope. This pearl was on one of the replacement inserts that Kenzo sent me (he sent them along with the WM Tudor I purchased... for no particular reason... just for fun). It was actually attached on a RED Submariner insert... what a waste....

The pearl on that was much better than any rep Submariner inserts I've seen so I recycled it. As you can see the red one now has the Noobmariner pearl attached. ;) You need a red, silver or green insert? (the other inserts have lousy pearls though) :lol:

131696-19016.jpg

It looks excellent on the wrist... couldn't tell the difference to the gen pearl without zoomed pics.

Edited by By-Tor

What rep do you have exactly? From whom? I'm curious... Most ADs will smell a rep across the room... :bounce:

I have the same rep By-Tor has reviewed (from TTK). When you take close up photo's you mght see a difference....not when you look at them side by side NO.

Chief...I said there is a minor difference. Not with Close up photo but on the wrist. I understand your desire for the perfect rep. This as perfect as I've seen, but then again I'm not "anal" about it. I don't obsess about minute details that only someone from this forum might.

And my experience with most AD's, whether it be Omega Seamasters, Bentley's and a host of other newer reps, they can't tell the difference without you mentioning it. According to them this is the best one they seen and admitted it fooled them.

...Of course, there not studying close up photo's.

I wish you well in finding a 100% exact rep of the gen. I'm enjoying my "96%" now.

Chief...I said there is a minor difference. Not with Close up photo but on the wrist. I understand your desire for the perfect rep. This as perfect as I've seen, but then again I'm not "anal" about it. I don't obsess about minute details that only someone from this forum might.

I wish you well in finding a 100% exact rep of the gen. I'm enjoying my "96%" now.

It is interesting how a fraction of a mm in sub rehaut is "minor" and yet on a Panerai crown it's the end of the world for most people. You've got hundreds of people lining up to buy Palp crowns, Lello crowns, Davidsen crowns, Homer crowns, etc. :) I think the real issue is that the deep sub rehaut is just far more elusive than the thick Panerai crowns, and so people are more willing to just write it off. Either way, the fraction of a mm on the Sub (as on the Panerais) is something I easily notice from a distance, which makes it one of those thorns in my side. But in any event, it's about the hobby and enjoyment of creating a franken watch, and inspecting the details in the process is part of the fun. :)

here is a pic of my cn-sub with $$$$$s put in mods ...

this watch has clearly an "rehaut-problem" ;)

this ttk-sub for 100 $ looks 10 times better - thats the point :)

cant wait how the reps look in 1 year ....

Frank

131965-18955.jpg

Another great review.

I got my Perfect Sub with the asian movement from Trusty for 107.00

I agree with all comments concerning the dial and bracelet being spot on.

The reason I bought the asian movement was to check out the watch before making a decision to buy eta.

I have been very happy with this 100.00 special. Way better than the older models that have been offered for the last few years. I have spent over 800.00 on two 'Modded' models, and this 100.00 beauty kicks thier ass.

So far only problem with the asian has been that the date wheel quit working. Now I must wind the hands manually to turn the date. Oh well. Other than that this 'Noobmariner' could be the best deal out there.

Now the answer to THE question is: EL - Joshua - Trusty - etc. etc.

There is only one answer to the question...and that is Rolex......nobody else has the best Sub.....the one I offer at the moment is not the best....neither is EL / Trusty or even Wan Long Pee's Sub......they're all just replicas.....some are bad...( especially MBW's at the price)....some are good...and some are very good.....my offering at the moment is just great value for money.....a way to have a good looking Sub...that NOBODY.....other than an OCD suffering Rollihead will ever notice isn't the mutt's nuts....!

As for rehaut etc etc......NONE of you ever heard the bloody word nor knew what it meant...until it was uttered on one of these forums......but let ONE of you utter it and give everyone else the impression that you're the font of ALL knowledge regarding Submariners........and suddenly everyone is an expert...based on that ONE member's utterances.....!

Look at the way everyone was getting a wedgie over "Swiss Made" being spread over 5 ticks not so long ago......NOBODY outside these forums....could give a flying f**k about it......but most members here were walking about with damp gussets at the thought of being called out because you only had 3 tick marks in your holster.....IT'S ALL STUFF AND NONSENSE....!

PS....FYI.......the 075 LV Sub is by far the better looking item......but that's just me opining....!

There is only one answer to the question...and that is Rolex......nobody else has the best Sub.....the one I offer at the moment is not the best....neither is EL / Trusty or even Wan Long Pee's Sub......they're all just replicas.....some are bad...( especially MBW's at the price)....some are good...and some are very good.....my offering at the moment is just great value for money.....a way to have a good looking Sub...that NOBODY.....other than an OCD suffering Rollihead will ever notice isn't the mutt's nuts....!

As for rehaut etc etc......NONE of you ever heard the bloody word nor knew what it meant...until it was uttered on one of these forums......but let ONE of you utter it and give everyone else the impression that you're the font of ALL knowledge regarding Submariners........and suddenly everyone is an expert...based on that ONE member's utterances.....!

Look at the way everyone was getting a wedgie over "Swiss Made" being spread over 5 ticks not so long ago......NOBODY outside these forums....could give a flying f**k about it......but most members here were walking about with damp gussets at the thought of being called out because you only had 3 tick marks in your holster.....IT'S ALL STUFF AND NONSENSE....!

PS....FYI.......the 075 LV Sub is by far the better looking item......but that's just me opining....!

man, your posts are the best!!! :lol: